shape
carat
color
clarity

how can a guy tell his GF he can''t afford the ring that she really wants ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Lost on 5th:

Buy what you can afford now. Go for size. Unfortunately, her friends/coworkers are gonna look at the ring. They''re gonna make comments. I ran into the same problem. G/f makes more than me at the moment and so her coworkers tended to have correspondingly "large" rings cuz their husbands tended to be quite successful as well.

My suggestion is to go for size cuz that''s what they''ll notice first. Then, avoid name. Just not worth it (unless that''s all everyone cares about in your part of NYC). However, pick a characteristic that''s the best so she can hang her hat on and brag about. Maybe the best cut. Possibly even a Heart and Arrow branded stone. At least ideal cut tho so she can brag it''s an ideal stone and has hearts and arrows. Stay in the colorless range but possible go down to F color. Go down to the VS2 range.

It won''t be what she wants, but it should be decent enough so she won''t be embarassed and has something to brag about.

Also, I''d run it by her. Explain to her that she can still be proud of it (since it''s ideal cut or whatever). It will bother her. The important part is how much it bothers her. Be VERY observant in this. Look for pauses before she answers and stuff. If too much hesitation is there, I don''t think you should propose. I''m gonna be blunt. Marriage is about compromises and realistic expectations. You can have all the nice dreams of life together in the future while you''re dating. Once you propose tho, you need to get serious and realistic. She just may not be ready to marry you in your current financial situation. It''s not nice to hear, but many girls need a certain amount of financial stability. If you can''t make enough, she''ll be bothered by it just from all the comments her friends/coworkers make and eventually it''ll wear her down. In the process, she''ll be making your life miserable.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2005 6
6.gif
6.gif
5 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 3/31/2005 5:14:59 PM
Author: lost on 5th

** not to hijack this thread, but i would rather build off the above information than repeat everything... this also might be the same scenario as the person in discussion initially.....so it could help as well possibly.

My GF also has high expectations. All 4 c’s and setting and BRAND. It is well out of my realistic budget and she knows it…and feels bad about it. She knows I have debt from grad school and am working a tight budget to recover from said debt. However, she already makes a great deal more than I do. And her profession will on average make much more than mine. Im stuck between doing what I can afford now…and what the reality of our financial situation will be 5 years from now.

….any suggestions given this variation of the initial question?

(dancing fire....sorry for jumping in. just thought i would expand the topic a little)

Yup......buy what you can afford now, and if you are so inclined, upgrade it when your *projected* future financial situation becomes a reality and not a projection.
al
i agree with you 100%
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/31/2005 4:24:13 PM
Author: luvmysparklies
Hmmm...well, you''ve received some good answers here:
He should be honest on what he can afford.
Hopefully nothing is lost for your friends on what the true meaning behind the engagement ring really is.
But, uhh Dancin Fire, my main mind clean stone having man...your friend probably sees YOUR wife''s 3.34 ct. ring and in his mind might be a''thinkin''......
2.gif

Just kiddin'' on that last part
3.gif

Luv
Luv
haven''t talk to him lately,wonder what he end up buying.
20.gif
he never seen my wife''s 3 ct. ring.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2005 8:33
6.gif
5 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
al
i agree with you 100%
2.gif

32.gif
DF, that scares me! hehehehehehehe
11.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2005 1:30:10 PM

6.gif
5 PM
al
i agree with you 100%
2.gif

32.gif
11.gif
April Fools!
9.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
It seems to me that 10k could probably get him something pretty nice.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/31/2005 5:14:59 PM
Author: lost on 5th

** not to hijack this thread, but i would rather build off the above information than repeat everything... this also might be the same scenario as the person in discussion initially.....so it could help as well possibly.

My GF also has high expectations. All 4 c’s and setting and BRAND. It is well out of my realistic budget and she knows it…and feels bad about it. She knows I have debt from grad school and am working a tight budget to recover from said debt. However, she already makes a great deal more than I do. And her profession will on average make much more than mine. Im stuck between doing what I can afford now…and what the reality of our financial situation will be 5 years from now.

….any suggestions given this variation of the initial question?

(dancing fire....sorry for jumping in. just thought i would expand the topic a little)
Why not ask her to chip in some money if she wants something more than you can afford right now? Or would she not go for that idea?

Personally, I would not have been upset or offended if my husband had offered me that option when he proposed. I wanted something a little different (and a little better) that he could afford, and I would have happily pitched in to get something more in line with my preferences. In the long run, I ended up confessing to him a couple of years after we were married (and when he had paid down his debt and was making much better money) that I really wasn't happy with the ring. He had no problem with my decision to trade in the original diamond for the one I really wanted. I didn't go up a lot in size, but I got a much better quality, diamond in the shape and setting that I really wanted.

I love diamonds and jewelry just as much (and probably more) than the next woman. But I think the whole emphasis placed on "the ring" is way overblown in most situations. Isn't it actually the love and the comittment that are to be considered most dear? The ring is only a symbol of that, after all. Why is it that the wishes of the woman, even if they are unrealistic, some how supercedes the financial ability of the man to provide the ring of her dreams? She is the one who will be wearing the ring, so I get that her wishes and desires should be of utmost consideration. But the flip side of that coin is that SHE IS THE ONE WHO WILL BE WEARING THE RING, so why should it be such a taboo idea to think she might be willing or obliged to help pay for it, especially if she is unwilling to comprimise in any way on what it is she wants?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/1/2005 1:30:10 PM

6.gif
5 PM
al
i agree with you 100%
2.gif

32.gif
11.gif
al
yeah,that scares me too,like F&I said "april fools"
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results