shape
carat
color
clarity

how big??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
how big is your family and extended family?

i have a brother and a sister but i have about 50ish cousins through out the world....family reunions are a blast...there are so many becasue my dad came from a family of i believe 8/9 and my mom from a family of 5

my boyfriend has 19 brothers and sisters(try learing all those names)..one passed a way which shook the whole family...and all together have close to 50 nieces and nephew....extended family im not sure about

one thing i am sure about is that our wedding will include close to 20 just family alone!!!

so whats your count?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's see, my dad was from a family of 3, my mom from a family of 11

My dad had 6 children from his first marriage and mom had 8 from 2 previous marriages and then me so we have a yours mine and ours total of 15. Reunions are insane but the best time. I can't even begin to count cousins or grandkids and great grandkids

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Count me in for the big families... My dad is the youngest of a family of 13 children, and my mother, the youngest of 2. My FMIL is the oldest of a family of 12, and my FFIL the middlechild of a family of 6. FI and I both only have one brother and one sister, thank goodness!
28.gif
But it''s was still scary to see our guestlist go up to 76 people with just the immediate families and aunts/uncles! We decided to not invite our cousins to keep the list under 100 people, otherwise we''d have had over 300 people!
23.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
BF and I were just discussing how we cannot possibly afford a wedding because our families are so big . . . hahaha
My Dad is from a family of 6 and so is my Mom, so that is 12 sets of aunts and uncles (24 people)
and each set has 2 kids minimum with some with 5 kids. So, about 30 cousins, almost all of whom are married since I am the old maid marrying after age 30.
So, 60 "cousins" to invite.

In my culture, immediate family goes out to first cousins minimum and many times the kids of first cousins are also considered immediate family.
His family is also similarly big AND we figure we have almost 160 "family" that are "must invites".

Big families = BIG wedding cost.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehe...you''ve hit the hot button over here we were JUST discussing this last night. My family is teensy, we''re talking less than 15 people including all cousins and aunts/uncles.

But my BF''s family on the other hand...WOW. His dad is one of 7, his parents are divorced, and there is a stepfather who is part of a big family too. I was hoping to keep the entire wedding under 75, but now it looks like my MIL alone will be inviting 75 people at least. At least she is generous and will be paying for some of them!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My dad is the youngest of 8. His oldest brother is deceased, his sister lost her spouse to lung cancer 10 years ago, and his brother lost his wife to a heart condition but he remarried which leaves me with 12 aunts and uncles on my dad''s side of the family. I am the youngest of 36 grandchildren (my dad''s parents, who are both deceased). All but 1 of my cousins is married and there are only 3 of us that don''t have children. Only 1 of my 33 cousins with children only had 1 child, the rest have between 2-6. My 2nd cousins are now of child bearing age and a few of them have had kids. I have 1 sibling, a sister who is married and has a son.

My mom is the 3rd of 4. All her siblings are alive and married. I have 7 cousins on this side of my family. Aside from my sister and I only 1 other cousin is married. My sister is the only grandchild on this side of the family who has had a child. My grandfather is deceased.

So in total I have about 130+ relatives.

We only invited my aunts and uncles to our wedding, no cousins. DH has no living relatives that we are in contact with. His parents are both deceased.

Sparkster

Brilliant_Rock
I have one brother and sister My brother has two sons.

My dad was one of two children and his sister had 3 daughters.

My mum on the other hand is a different story. Mum was one of 4 children. Families in China had huge families before the one child policy. I can't count the number of them and have only met them once when I went to China 7 years ago. My mum's eldest brother had about 5 children and those children have had multitudes (before the one child policy came into effect). Her eldest brother has 4 children - each of them now married but they only have one child each due to the policy. Mum's younger sister had 3 children and they all have lots of kids themselves.

Getting to know them in China was a nightmare. It was difficult because back in Australia, mum never taught us the different words for aunt/uncle, cousin so forth. In the chinese culture, it is rude to refer to any relative by their names, instead I had to call them by their titles. And when I was introduced to everyone, I didn't know what those titles meant. ie, 'Po' means my maternal grandma and 'Ma ma' means by paternal grandma. And there are different names for aunts/uncles depending on whos side of the family they belong and also whether they 'sit' in the family. For example, my brother's sons call me 'sai go dze' for small aunty and call my older sister 'dai go dze' for older aunty. But they would refer to their mum's sisters as something different because they come from their mother's side. There's even different words for brother and sister depending on whether they are older or younger than you!!!

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps I can compete for smallest family? I have two sisters, two parents, no aunts, no uncles, no cousins, and only three living grandparents.

*sigh*

Sometimes I have family envy, but mostly because I wish I''d grown up with brothers.
25.gif

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I grew up an only child. When I was young, I always joked that I needed to marry someone from a big family so that my kids would have cousins. Well, my husband is the youngest of six! And our two kids have 10 cousins.

9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 6:25:16 PM
Author: Julianna
Perhaps I can compete for smallest family? I have two sisters, two parents, no aunts, no uncles, no cousins, and only three living grandparents.

*sigh*

Sometimes I have family envy, but mostly because I wish I''d grown up with brothers.
25.gif
Don''t feel bad about it, your family''s taking one for the team as far as population control
3.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2007 7:51:23 PM
Author: musey

Don''t feel bad about it, your family''s taking one for the team as far as population control
3.gif
HEE! Good point, thanks for the vote of confidence!
9.gif

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
does anyone ever get a very surprised reaction when you say the size of your family...my bf and i do! its crazy but i love the big family its very homey i mean sure it took a long long time for everyone to get used to me since brother and sisters in his fam only dated for 6 months to a year before they got married and weve been together for five so people were a bit skeptical but once they saw i was the real deal then they lossened up and they like me.... anyone else have this issue with your guys big family?

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Issues? No, not really... Just too many wedding guests! FMIL and her 11 siblings are quite the gossips and we''re expecting some resentment because we decided not to invite our cousins, but they''re not paying, are they? They live 300 + miles away, so I don''t exactly care.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results