shape
carat
color
clarity

How big is big enough?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kizor

Rough_Rock
i am debating between 1.0 and 1.2 ct princess cut diamond. i originally wanted the 1.03 but i am worried she will think it too small. is there an obvious difference between 1.0 and 1.2? Would she even know the difference? personally I would rather use the extra money towards home. all thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
There is a noticeable difference between .20 carats. Whether she'll care or not is the question.
I think 1 ct is a very good size, but this is a one time purchase and you should really get her the maximum you can afford at this time without leaving you bankrupt. If you can get the 1.2ct and not feel squeezed for cash then I would do. JMHO
21.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
There is nothing wrong with a 1.00 carat princess it is much larger than the average size engagement diamond. If you know that she wants something larger, that is a different issue. Yes, there is a slight difference in size but you could get something in between like a 1.10. My idea would be to get a 1.05 E-G VS square princess with a thin to slightly thick girdle.

k-man

Rough_Rock
I'm going through the same dilemna right now - as did many soon to propose people I'm sure. If you consider the cost of the ring, wedding and possibly a new house it can get quite stressful. Some people feel the big pressure not to go below the 1ct mark (myself included) but I really don't think of that as small! I guarantee you she would be happy with 1ct.

Good luck!

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
With the caveat that I am not big on big stones, I have a .7 round brilliant that I love. I bought it to replace the .7 my husband gave me that was lost. I am in a financial position to go larger, but it was and is beautiful, and is what he chose for me. I asked for quality over size, and that was what he got me. There is a small difference in size between a 1 carat (about 5.5 mm across) and 1.2 (about 6 mm across) having the full carat is more significant in my mind. And consider what a difference in price you are paying for a visible .5 mm (can you even see half a mm?). I'd go for the 1 carat and the nest egg, or put the difference into a better quality carat.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Don't let pressure make this decision.

1. Always buy a diamond that you can afford.
2. There always is a larger diamond. Buy one that fits the moment. It is a grand "present". Make it one that is appropriate and not over-the-top.
3. A diamond may be up-graded by making a larger stone purchase many years into the marraige. Don't overdo it now as her expectations may well exceed your ability to keep all the balls in the air. Houses, cars, weddings, life in general all cost big bucks.
4. The average diamond sold as an engagement ring in the USA is about 1/4ct. This is well below the Internet average, but do not be worried or ashamed of buying what YOU feel is large enough.
5. If the diamond you bought with a great deal of forethought is not large enough, you are just getting a clear glimpse of what life will be like with someone who wants more than you think you should provide. Greed is an insatiable master of some people. A reasonable sized diamond could be considered a "test" of whether you two are compatible.
6. Don't worry about what others think. Most other people are not so knowledgeable that they are in any position to advise you on this sort of subject. You need objective advice from experts who are neither your friends nor have a vested interest in making a sale.

Mikesgirl

Shiny_Rock
Here Here to #5 from Oldminer. What you choose for her will be what she wants. After all, you chose it. If you have to "buy" her with a diamond, then it will never stop.

rodentman

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Based on all the "enlargement" emails I receive, I regret that I am not qualified to answer that question.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rodentman; You should try the enlargement messages. Who needs email when you can just run messages up a flagpole?
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

A rodent with such a large weapon would have no natural enemies. Think of the possibilities.

Smooth

Rough_Rock
Very well said, oldminer. It's easy to get caught up in spending way too much on a diamond.

kizor

Rough_Rock
thank you all for such informative responses.

JC

Shiny_Rock
I must agree with "oldminer". You should feel confident that she will like whatever you get her. The difference between 1.0ct to 1.2ct is so minute that in the end it won't even matter. The main difference is that you'll spend more money on the 1.2ct. So if your willing to spend that extra money than why not go all out on the 1.0ct option. Just make sure that 1.0 diamond is the best 1.0ct that you can afford. Try to get the best cut possible along with a white, eye-clean diamond, and I'm sure that she will love the outcome.
appl.gif

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 9/15/2003 12
6.gif
6:56 PM k-man wrote:

I'm going through the same dilemna right now - as did many soon to propose people I'm sure. If you consider the cost of the ring, wedding and possibly a new house it can get quite stressful. Some people feel the big pressure not to go below the 1ct mark (myself included) but I really don't think of that as small! I guarantee you she would be happy with 1ct.

Good luck!
----------------

K-man,

You bring up some very valid questions and concerns. With the cost of the engagement ring, wedding, honeymoon, new home, and children etc....., marriage becomes a very expensive undertaking. Ultimately, I think it's important to start off the marriage with as much financial stability as possible. Whatever the size of the ring, framing the engagement ring within the context of your overal financial situation is very important. Don't overextend yourself. Even with the average diamond engagement ring being .25 carats, more Americans are in debt than ever before. Good luck!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/15/2003 12:32:15 PM oldminer wrote:

Don't let pressure make this decision.

1. Always buy a diamond that you can afford.
2. There always is a larger diamond. Buy one that fits the moment. It is a grand "present". Make it one that is appropriate and not over-the-top.
3. A diamond may be up-graded by making a larger stone purchase many years into the marraige. Don't overdo it now as her expectations may well exceed your ability to keep all the balls in the air. Houses, cars, weddings, life in general all cost big bucks.
4. The average diamond sold as an engagement ring in the USA is about 1/4ct. This is well below the Internet average, but do not be worried or ashamed of buying what YOU feel is large enough.
5. If the diamond you bought with a great deal of forethought is not large enough, you are just getting a clear glimpse of what life will be like with someone who wants more than you think you should provide. Greed is an insatiable master of some people. A reasonable sized diamond could be considered a "test" of whether you two are compatible.
6. Don't worry about what others think. Most other people are not so knowledgeable that they are in any position to advise you on this sort of subject. You need objective advice from experts who are neither your friends nor have a vested interest in making a sale.

----------------

Can I just quote you Dave & pretend I said it? GREAT SAGE ADVICE! Dave it the nail on the head!

appl.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
I have always respected your wisdom, Dave. I couldn't have said it better myself.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/15/2003 10:48
6.gif
9 AM kizor wrote:

i am debating between 1.0 and 1.2 ct princess cut diamond. all thoughts are welcome. Thanks.----------------

Hi!

I don't know about the ethics of 'Bigger is better'. Almost always there is a bigger stone out there (as said above). You have already picked E colors, which means that you want very good quality instead of mass. However, the visible size of a diamond is the diameter, not weight. I do not know these, but why not get the larger (in diameter) of the two? Both diamonds are quite deep, which I am not surprised in princss cuts. But, you know, if the thing would be G VS, and 60% depth, you would get a cheaper, bigger diamond with the same looks. Otherwise, at .2 weight diference, the 1ct could still look bigger than the 1.2!

Just a thought...
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results