• planned remodel with shower only

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • wait and do remodel with both bath and shower

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house. The small 2nd bathroom has a bathtub/shower combo, toilet and sink. The current master bath is 6 and some feet wide to just shy of 14 feet. Right now it has a 60" vanity, toilet opposite that, and in the middle of the room a free standing tub, and that's it. We did stick an armoire in the corner to store linen and bedding.

the plan: take out the tub, and in it's place have a walk-in shower of 36 x 48" I can also make slightly longer up to 55". I will also have enough room on the other end of the room to both create a small room that opens to the hallway for the stacking washer and dryer that opens to hallway (right now washer and dryer are in my master bedroom). In the other far corner create built-in linen closet/shelving. Pros: nice walk in shower, get the washer dryer out of my bedroom, have a nicer place to store bedding and linens, and because I am doing minimal moving of fixtures (just shifting the shower plumbing about 10 inches, leaving everything else in place it will still cost money but be affordable. We are estimating around 2-2.5K.

Will it be a mistake for me to take out the tub? It is original to the house and beautiful, but to tell the truth I just use it to take showers, and in that case I'd rather have a built in shower than something I have to step in and out of. I still have a bathtub in 2nd bathroom, but is is smaller and not quite as nice as master tub.

I played around with the layout, and I can, by basically taking everything out and moving things around, both fit in a 32 x 48" shower AND a bathtub. The layout is nicer in some respect including making the toliet seperate from everything else, but it does lose the linen closet plus the vanity would need to be replaced with something around 42". The big but is this remodel would be significantly more expensive. How much more? Not even sure, but every single fixture is being moved, and hence replaced. 8K? + And torn out, no working main bath for months.

Would you do
a) keep as is and suck it up buttercup
b) do planned remodel, get 90% of what you want, and keep costs reasonable
c) wait. Do remodel when can afford ideal layout.

Last edited:

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I would no nothing if you like it as is.

My last home I owned for 13 years, had a huge hot tub in the master bath. Didn't use it once!

Next series of homes, and there were quite a few, I rented. Not one rental had a mater bath, only showers. Never missed the bath. Each home had a second bathroom with a tub for kids. They never used tubs after age 5 or 6, only showers.

The house I bought last summer, master shower. Tub in kids bathroom. It didn't occur to me that I needed a tub in my master bath. My master is small but very elegantly done remodel and I love it.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't care, but it would be a dealbreaker for my wife, who takes no less than 3 baths a day

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I think it depends on what you prefer. If it were mine I would rip it out for the walk in shower. We don't do baths in our family. Just showers and whenever we buy a home it's likely to be our forever home so I plan on age proofing everything so we can stay there as long as possible in our old age.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's the other reason why I want to replace the tub. I don't have any plans to move and if I do stay here, the tub is separated from all the walls and there is nothing to grab onto, and as it's a pedestal tub I have to step over a 22" ledge each time I get in or out of the tub.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Walk in shower. Baths are gross. We are getting a hot tub because we are a family of skiers and everyone wants to warm up 4 times a week.

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with all that is said here. I would prefer a nice walk-in shower any day. And it's cheaper and age-proof. What's not to love? If you ever want a bath, the other tub is available.

Side-note. If you want to preserve the original tub, any chance you could switch it out with the tub in the other bathroom? Probably an unnecessary expense, but a nice senitment.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
That's the other reason why I want to replace the tub. I don't have any plans to move and if I do stay here, the tub is separated from all the walls and there is nothing to grab onto, and as it's a pedestal tub I have to step over a 22" ledge each time I get in or out of the tub.

Yeah tubs can be beautiful but they are so dangerous x.x Yeah I think ripping it out would be best then. Plus picking out tile and stuff for the new shower is so much fun. I may have done this before in my old room's bathroom when I thought I would never get married and would be living with my dad forever. We yanked the tub and put in a beautiful tiled shower. :kiss2: I comfort myself knowing my dad will have a great bathroom now as he ages lmao.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't care, but it would be a dealbreaker for my wife, who takes no less than 3 baths a day

Er... wuuut??

That seems an extraordinary waste of water and energy!!

re: the OP's dilemma, why not move the original-to-the-house standalone bath into the second bathroom (so you don't have to get rid of it) then do the large shower in the main bathroom?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for most people one tub is enough when buying.
Are you sure about the cost, though? I know it depends a lot on where you are, but for us the installation of a shower in a corner next to an existing sink was more like 2k without ripping anything out. Plumbing was already in the room and right next to that corner. That's the cost for manpower only (plumber and tiling and then setting up and fixing the enclosure). Tiles/hardware/ shower cabin etc. not included.

The shower unit (the actual plumbing stuff underneath, hardware, shower head) /water tightness sealing system/tiles/glass enclosure with fixation came in at around 2K on top...

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are minimum numbers lol! As far as using the tub in the other bathroom, that other bathroom has a very small footprint but is a built-in tub that is shorter and lower than the one in main bath (other tub wouldn't fit).
I know I can afford plan a) (shower only) because so few things are moving. I will also be doing the tiling, and possibly helping with the dry walling. The guy I'm seeing, basically like a contractor and has people working for him, so when he helped me remodel my kitchen which included demo (a chimney and concrete block had to be removed from a corner) new countertops as well as new dishwasher, sink, stove, and venting microwave, the entire remodel cost around 4.2K. I helped with some things, and he is able to do things with his workman in a very cost effective manner. I believe him when he says my plan A will cost less than 2K. But even he doesn't know how much the other plan would cost, which I think means $$$

The other layout that I showed people, everyone seems to love, especially the idea of soaking tub! but as far as numbers, no clue what the total would be. Pretty much all the plumbing and the electrical would need to be moved.

My youngest had an extreme reaction when I happen to mention I was getting rid of the big tub. She has many memories of playing in that tub, both taking baths with her older sister, and also playing with her little polly pockets or barbies and having them do pool parties and such. It's not like she even does those things anymore, but she doesn't like idea of the tub going away : (

Before I make a decision the guy is going to bring his plumber to look at the bathroom and look below, so he can give a rough estimate of how many hours or days a remodel like that would cost. It would at least give me a ballpark.

Last edited:

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you’d get a lot better use of space and enjoyment with a new bigger shower instead of the bathtub/shower combo you currently have. We’re having a new house built and just went through this dilemma. The original master bath plan had a huge soaking tub, smaller corner shower, toilet and single sink vanity, about 30”. I love to soak in a bath, but I usually shower. It wasn’t an easy decision, but I decided to give up the soaking tub in the master bath because the trade off was that I got a 36” x 48” shower and a 92” vanity with double sinks. It will also give us lots of extra storage space. We will still have two other full bathrooms, each with a soaking tub/shower combo. It’s just a short hop down the hall if I want to take a bath. Hope this helps.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds nice! If I do just the shower, i can have a 36x48 shower, and either a bigger shower or a big vanity. Plus a dedicated area for towels and linens. If I did the separate shower tub combo, the shower would be smaller, no space for linens, and smaller vanity (36"). If they were the same cost I would go with the one with both shower and tub. But given the cost difference and how often I use the tub, don't think the cost will be worth it to me.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Not bad at all.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone! I think this is the plan. To take out tub, put in 36 x 48" nice shower. make w/d "room". Also, I want to move where the toliet is to another corner (next to wall created for washer dryer so it is out of line of sight/has it's own spot. Instead of creating built in linen area, I will move armoire I store linens in to where the toliet used to be.
With those I would be a a happy camper; I'd have washer dryer out of bedroom, and nice walk-in shower.

This plan also means, by keeping it to a 36 x 48" shower footprint, if i ever want to in the future, take out my current 60" vanity and replace with a 42" vanity on the opposite wall, I could do that plus have enough room along the wall under the window to install a tub (30x 75" space). But I don't have to do it right away and I'd have a working bathroom sooner by doing it this way.
I'm excited! Now, I just have to convince my youngest it's ok to get rid of the tub... Maybe I will have her take a couple last baths in tub and then say goodbye.

Last edited:

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That sounds like a great plan! Good luck!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need one tub in a family bathroom for resale purposes. Families with young kids may want to have a tub to bath the little ones. FWIW, big showers mean more to clean and heavier doors.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Partgypsy I love your plan. I'm just feeling bad for your little one is there any way you can hang on to the bathtub for her sake, say convert it into a planter or I don't know old she is but maybe a sandbox for her? bathtub planter.jpg

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We don’t have a bath in our master en-suite, just a large shower and twin sinks (+ toilet). On the rare occasions I want a soak, I use one of the other bathrooms. Who has time for a bath in the mornings when you’re rushing to get ready and out? :D

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Your plan sounds good! My old house had a small master bath, but I took space from an overly large closet that didn’t make sense to do a nice large walk in shower. I did mine without a door. It was an open walk-in and just had the slope to drain down. It was a clean and non fussy look.

Reactions: AV_

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going with shower only style. Took a bath yesterday and it WAS nice, but it's a couple times a year indulgence.
Picked out the tile. For the shower walls onyx crystal. It is tile but it looks like polished stone. I love it! 18x18" squares.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MSI-Ony...all-Tile-16-sq-ft-case-NONXCRY2424P/203400667
And for the floor daltile briton bone. I know, not the most exciting. I normally love penny or hexagon tile for the floor, but they looked too retro when I placed next to the stone looking wall tile.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile...m-Ceramic-Mosaic-Tile-BT0121BWHD1P2/203213497

Reactions: AV_

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like your tile choices and your bathroom is going to look great Partgypsy. Did you find yourself overwhelmed with choices? I’ve been meeting with the designer at the builders design centre to pick final finishes for the new house. We’ved ended up with a white/light grey palate and the hardwood will be light natural maple throughout. I’ve narrowed it down to two options for our master en-suite, one neutral and one with a bit more colour. I have to decide by next week. The top pic is the neutral option. The glass and marble mosaic will cover the largest back wall of the shower. We’ll have 8x20 white tiles for the rest. Quartz Marble countertop and light grey 12x24 tiles on floor.

93922448-89EC-44F6-95BC-F7BC39EE12A5.jpeg

Here’s option b. Same countertop. Same oversized white tiles in shower but there would be a 12” strip of the grey/marble mosaic glass tile in the middle of the back shower wall. I would lay the mosaic tiles horizontally in that strip. Floor would be the dark grey octagons, Cabinets are white (not the one in the pics).

2193597E-DB35-4238-9C84-753998507DC2.jpeg

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh I like both of your choices. I wouldn't say the 2nd set has more color, just more dramatic tone differences. I like the dark shower floor tile. But I like the top choice better overall, especially the mosiac accent wall (I like that better than a "strip").
In my current bath I already have a medium tone "wood" floor (strand woven bamboo) and a kind of a "sand" colored quartz countertop for the vanity. To conserve money I will most likely be keeping the vanity so a warmer tone tile goes better than a cool stone look. Otherwise I would have been happy to go with a marble or light color stone look.

My other option for the shower wall are these white 12x 24 porcelain tiles that are ridged to look like 4 rectangular tiles. It would be a nice clean look. But I'm leaning towards the stone as I think it will feel more spa-like.

What shower floor would you do with top choice? I think you can get away with a dark grey shower floor if not black.

Last edited:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also can get overwhelmed by choices. It took me forever to pick out my kitchen backsplash tile and I ordered and returned a couple styles before I made a final decision.
I love internet shopping, but this go-round, it has really been useful to see tile in person. Things I thought I liked online I didn't like in person, and things I ruled out from the photos, looked better in person (for example the wall tile I think looks an awful shade in the home depot pic, but it actually looks like the 24x24 photo. The Briton bone is lighter in person than the home depot pic). I am trying to be very budget-minded, so that has helped limit choices too.

My next confusion is, what kind of shower head? The guy I'm seeing says he has something, but what are some good brands or models? It will be a fixed shower head (not handheld).

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
3BE4F0FF-02F5-4CCD-869D-169279E7B2B3.jpeg
Yes, making all these choices for a house being built is overwhelming at times. I feel pretty good about everything so far, but I go back and forth a bit with our en-suite bath. I want to keep it very light and bright. I also prefer the pic with the neutral/white tones, and I’m about 90% decided. The shower pan is white acrylic, so that’s already decided. The front wall and door of the shower are glass and the side wall is 36” high topped with glass. The sidewall will be capped with quartz matching the countertop. We are having both a fixed and an additional handheld shower head. It will look like the pic above but in chrome. I can’t live without a handheld shower.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to live in a house with a handheld shower, but it seemed half the time I was accidently knocking it off its stand when using it for showering. I only used the handheld function to clean out the shower (lol). So for me I prefer something fixed. Probably my kids would like the handheld shower, and then have shower fights.

eta I love that tile! I love tile with patterning.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I use the hand held shower mostly for cleaning/rinsing the shower as well. I also have one in our current en-suite bathtub :). The tub is one of those big corner tubs and the handheld makes it a breeze to rinse after cleaning the tub. We’re going to have to post after pictures once our bathrooms are done. Yours is going to be beautiful! We don’t move in until mid June. I found out today that a neighbour just received notice that their closing date was delayed a month. They were supposed to move in this March. Hopefully we’ll be okay.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@elizat The walk-in shower you describe is my favorite...

I have been in one perfectly designed bathroom (IHMO) - with some great detail, but only textured (pebbly) water proof cement laced with mica for floor & walls; if the room were small, it might have looked too Spartan.

I live in tile heaven currently & there are surprising bathrooms around (see Al Yarar on Instagram).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in UK and prefer showers to bath.

When I bought my house, a two-bedroom semi detached with a separate lounge/sitting room, a kitchen diner, and a garden, it has one bathroom upstairs on the same floor as the bedrooms.

It was a 3-piece bathroom suite with a bath and a shower attachment in peach :sick:, and it had to go.

Instead of replacing it with another 3-piece suite with a bath and shower combo, I installed a wet room with a walk-in shower instead.

Apparently it does not matter much without a bath, as a 2-bed property with just one bathroom is not desirable as a busy family home.

Besides, I detest relocation with a vengeance, and have not planned to leave my house in the foreseeable future.

I guess, like jewellery, home layout and decor are down to personal taste and preferences.

DK :))

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am old, so of course the first thing I ever consider is resale. I know you said you are staying but one never knows.

Millenials don't care about bathtubs, the trend is unless one has a huge bathroom that walkin showers are more desired.

I would recommend also a curbless shower if you can do it.

Bet of luck and I love remodeling!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results