shape
carat
color
clarity

How Are Your Arrows Positioned? How Does Your Table Line up?!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
OK... this is something I never really thought about until another post got to to thinking about it.

How is your table positioned in your setting? Is it set so that the top edge of the table is parallel to your band?

What about your arrows? Are they "sitting straight" at say 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock?

Is this something that's important to you? Or doesn't it matter?

Issue or non-issue?!

What say we?!!!
2.gif

Lynn

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
you didn''t say how yours are positioned lynn! i''d like to know!! (have you mentioned it somewhere else that i missed?
37.gif
)

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Belle... mine's currently at White Flash right now. But I'm wondering if I might have to e-mail poor Lesley for the 833rd time!!!!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Lynn

PS How're yours?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
mine are at 12/3/6/9 with the others in between. a few heads are therefore set under prongs...but i love it this way! it looks very symmetrical. the image makes them look just the tiniest bit off but on the hand they're straight looking.

mringcombo.JPG

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I think it kinda depends on your mount.

My diamond''s arrows are kinda at the 1
6.gif
0 and 7
6.gif
0 positions. I have the half bezel setting and WF mounted the diamond so the laser inscription would be "out", not under the bezel.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay, here''s the plan....i''ll email lesley for the first time, as i currently do not own a h&a of the precise proportions that i am drooling, ahem, looking for. when i email her, i will ask about your stone.....maybe she won''t notice!
2.gif

my plan is for a pendant, of which, i would want the arrows at 12 & 6 because i am ridiculously anal and that''s the way it has to be!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lynn''
Now that you mention it it''s something I haven''t thought about before!! I would email Lesley tomorrow, or call her to ask her about this. Let us know what she says, it''s an interesting question!! Good luck
1.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2005 9
6.gif
2:44 PM
Author: belle

my plan is for a pendant, of which, i would want the arrows at 12 & 6 because i am ridiculously anal and that's the way it has to be!!

LOL!
1.gif

I'm anal, too... although I really don't like that word! I prefer to think of myself as... "particular"!
2.gif

The plot does thicken, though, like PQ said, when there's a laser inscription to be left "exposed". Also, some people don't want their prongs to cover an arrow. Me... I want it ALL!!!
31.gif
(Poor Lesley!)
23.gif

Lynn

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I went and looked at pics. My pendant was "off" as well. Again to expose the laser inscription on the diamond.
1.gif

PQsPendantthatsgone.jpg

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Just looked at my ring ...have 6 prongs........but that said, arrows areen''t perfectly aligned...still love looking at them!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
There was another member (Kayla17?) who said her arrows were off due to the laser inscription! If Whiteflash is setting the diamond you purchased from them, than I don''t see what the big deal is about having the inscription showing. I''d rather have the arrows line up.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you want your arrows aligned a certain way, be sure to tell your poor jeweler ahead of time. Most likely his benchman will not even be able to see them and they will end up where they may. This is NOT something most benchmen are thinking about when they set your diamonds. When we get such requests we have to mark the stone with magic marker to tell our bench how to line up the stone.

Wink

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My table is lined up parallel with the band. And the arrows I can see (it''s not an H&A but they do exist. I spotted it yesterday!) are up and down I believe.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock

I didn''t even think to ask to have the arrows set a specific way. When WF shipped, there was a note included telling me how to locate the laser inscription,......... which side of the pendant or ring to look on. I guess WF left the inscription out for verification/appraisal purposes.

1.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Mine are not lined up at 12, 3, 6 and 9, but I love looking at them! Also, I know the appraiser said the laser inscription is centered perfectly.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2005 10:10:56 PM
Author: Patty
Mine are not lined up at 12, 3, 6 and 9, but I love looking at them! Also, I know the appraiser said the laser inscription is centered perfectly.
But look -- your table is "straight", Patty -- and I think (to my eye) that may be most important! And we can't have both the table parallel to the band AND the arrows at 12, 3, 6, and 9.

YIKES... regarding Wink's comment above, "... tell your poor jeweler ahead of time..."
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif
Wink, we "particular" customers can be quite a challenge at times, can't we?!!
2.gif
1.gif
10.gif
Sorry!!!
12.gif

And Michelle, no, I didn't buy my stone from WF - just the new setting. And even still, I like the idea of the inscription being visible. Just MHO!

Lynn

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if i had a choice i prefer not to cover up any of the arrow tips with the prongs but, more importantly i want to make sure i can read the laser inscription for future I.D. of the stone .most of the time is almost impossible to have it both ways.

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lynn
When I first started looking at rings, one of the first ones I saw struck me as being "wonky" and it didn't take long to work out the the crooked table was the culprit (this was way before I even knew round diamonds had tables with 8 symmetrical sides - makes me smile to think I've come such a long way since then!).
This occured often enough for me to realize it looked annoying to me, so when my recently purchased diamond was set, I requested the top of the table to be set aligned with the band. It actually came back with the arrows aligned with the band, but still looks fine as the symmetry is good.
I don't have a girdle inscription, but even if I did the symmetry would be more important to me than reading the inscription. The small inclusion on my stone (it is VS2 and easily visible under high magnification) makes identification very easy, so reading the girdle would not be a big deal.

My preference is still with the table top aligned with the band like Patty's (also more forgiving if slightly out), but the arrows aligned with the band also looks OK (needs to be perfect to look right though). Do let Leslie know what you want, as it is likely to come back put in randomly, as Wink indicated.

You must be getting excited waiting. I know I was counting down the hours in the end!
I look forward to photos.
1.gif

PS Mara, your ring looks gorgeous!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Patty,
I love the way your diamond''s arrows are lined up! This is how I''m going to have mine done if I purchase another round. . .I''m thinking asscher so who knows if I''ll ever get around to purchasing a H&A.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks Angela...!

It''s funny, I don''t think I ever thought to ask or specify when I got my new stone from WF in terms of arrows, I think I asked that the laser inscription be visible (I think it''s by a prong but I have never looked), but I really like the way this looks. Maybe if I get a pendant in the future I''ll have all the arrows exposed to see which I like better.

In terms of the table, having the table lined up or not makes no difference in everyday to me but if I had to choose, I think I would prefer it at an angle like mine is (diamond shaped)...I don''t know that I''d want it to be paralell? But then again I don''t know what that looks like. Also, I think your eye tends to like whatever your diamond is like...you become attached to that look.

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
How funny... had my ring 6 months and never REALLY looked (or more to the point, knowingly thought about) how they are aligned.

So, went into the elevator here and work (direct focus super bright jewlery store lights) and peered through my cupped hand to find that they are aligned just as Patty''s are in the picture above.

Having a tension setting though.. I don''t have to worry about prongs covering any of the arrows. They are all gloriously there to see for anyone who knows what they are looking for.

I think overall that this is my preference (lined up at 11:30 and 12:30) rather then straight up and down at 12 and 6.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Do you know how many people out there are probably reading this thread and thinking that we are totally NUTS?!
9.gif

I really had never paid any attention before to how my arrows and table lined up. In fact, I had to re-read this thread and look at my picture a few times before I could figure out what you meant about my table lining up with my band, Lynn.

But you know I will always take note from now on, lol. My one stone is being re-set. I know the last time the jeweler set it to hide a feather under a prong. So much to consider! I think I'll be surprised.

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
I know the co-worker in the elevator with me thought I was crazy, until I showed her what I was looking at ...and then she thought it was really cool.

Ah, to each of us their own.. but you are right Patty, I will now be looking at it and thinking about it going fowards with the new diamonds.. whenever that may be after I get over this monsterous budget of a wedding I have created for myself.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Ut oh! I discovered that this stone was set with the top arrow at 11:30, not 12
6.gif
0. This means the arrow AND the table were not squared with the band.
6.gif

Thank God I''m having it reset. (I''m joking here, I really do not care.)

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
Once you start noticing this issue, you''ll find virtually none that are lined up on the point of the compass, so to speak, relative to the prongs or the ring itself.

Even in Tiffany''s giant print ads, I noticed, the cardinal points are not on register. Is there some issue related to the physical configuration of the stone that prompts the arrows to be "rotated" or is it just the luck of the draw as to how they turn out?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well, I just got my rings today from White Flash... ohmyword... gorgeous, glorious rings!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
I just could NOT be happier! But I had to chuckle when I thought about this thread. (And I figured as Thread Starter, I was duty-bound to post on it with my own rings, right?!!!)
2.gif

I did ask for the stone to be set so that none of the arrows were covered by prongs, and the laser inscription was visible, (and WF says that it is), but I never thought to ask about the position of the table or the arrows. (I hate it when I leave any stone unturned! haha! That's just not LIKE me!)
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

Anyway, my table is not quite parallel to the band, nor are the arrows precisely at 12, 3, 6 and 9. But you know what?! I don't care! It truly isn't "noticable" to me, and it doesn't "bother" me, either. I don't think it takes away anything from these spectacular rings, and I am 100% thrilled.

Lynn

PS Leonid, does this win any prizes for "The Most Anal Thread Ever" in PS History??!!!!
23.gif

lynn ring yay1!.jpg

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Oh Lynn, It is stunning
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

It is a style I just love.
I nearly cracked up seeing the arrows though!!!!!!!
11.gif
(I am definitely no angel!)

I am sure it will only make you smile each time you see them! You must be jumping up and down with joy at the moment.
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

Wear it in good health.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2005 6
6.gif
9:34 PM
Author: Patty
Ut oh! I discovered that this stone was set with the top arrow at 11:30, not 12
6.gif
0. This means the arrow AND the table were not squared with the band.
6.gif

Thank God I''m having it reset. (I''m joking here, I really do not care.)

Lynn your rings are gorgeous.

Patty- that''s a sweet close up shot of your beauty too! Nice.
9.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2005 4:24
6.gif
0 PM
Author: asblackrock
Oh Lynn, It is stunning
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

It is a style I just love.
I nearly cracked up seeing the arrows though!!!!!!!
11.gif
(I am definitely no angel!)

I am sure it will only make you smile each time you see them! You must be jumping up and down with joy at the moment.
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

Wear it in good health.

LOL!
9.gif
Yeah, it is pretty ironic, isn''t it?!! Lesley says I can return it at WFs expense and have it changed at no charge... but you know what? While I deeply appreciate her generous offer, these babies aren''t going anywhere! They''d have to be pried off of my cold, dead fingers! I love them SOOOO much, and yep, looking at that center stone just makes me smile. It''s just a little wee bit... QUIRKY. Like me!
2.gif

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results