shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you storing your pearls? This guy says PLASTIC BAGS!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock

At 1:04 you see Rui discuss pearl care. I have noticed so many PSers post pics of their pearl items in jewelry boxes… how do we feel about this advice to store them in plastic? I am intrigued. Rui knows his stuff, I’m inclined to believe him, but I haven’t heard this advice anywhere else. Have you?

Rhd3

Shiny_Rock
Huh. That's quite literally the opposite of any advice I've ever heard. I'm assuming he means unsealed? I've always stored mine in a jewelry box and will continue to do so. Every so often I put the tray on the counter while I take a shower.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, consider the audience this is aimed at. They are also telling people “last thing on first thing off”, avoid getting lemon juice on pearls, avoid swimming in the ocean with pearls, avoid tanning with pearls… For someone who’s been keeping her pearl pieces jumbled up with diamond rings and pave earrings and sapphire pendants - a few plastic bags to keep her pearls separate would be a huge improvement!

A plastic bag, storing pearls in cotton, these aren’t going to destroy them anytime soon. This is more about the pearls’ “legacy”. For important pearls - pearls of unusual make or especial provenance - legacy matters from day one. For most pearls… They were in plastic bags for a long time before we bought ‘em!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pearls in plastic bags is the norm in the trade. Or plastic boxes.
Yssie - please do keep pearls away from diamonds and scratchy claws.
It's perfectly okay to get pearls wet too. They came from water. What you should not get wet is any silk stringing (again, synthetic stringing is fine). typical part of one woholesalers.JPG all loose half drilleds.JPG

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Well, consider the audience this is aimed at. They are also telling people “last thing on first thing off”, avoid getting lemon juice on pearls, avoid swimming in the ocean with pearls, avoid tanning with pearls… For someone who’s been keeping her pearl pieces jumbled up with diamond rings and pave earrings and sapphire pendants - a few plastic bags to keep her pearls separate would be a huge improvement!

A plastic bag, storing pearls in cotton, these aren’t going to destroy them anytime soon. This is more about the pearls’ “legacy”. For important pearls - pearls of unusual make or especial provenance - legacy matters from day one. For most pearls… They were in plastic bags for a long time before we bought ‘em!

I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying. I know you have some exceptional pearls- you are storing them in a jewelry box then? Is there enough humidity in the air or is that even a concern?

I’m hoping to own gem quality pearl studs one day, and I’m more than a little nervous about caring for them properly!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Pearls in plastic bags is the norm in the trade. Or plastic boxes.
Yssie - please do keep pearls away from diamonds and scratchy claws.
It's perfectly okay to get pearls wet too. They came from water. What you should not get wet is any silk stringing (again, synthetic stringing is fine). typical part of one woholesalers.JPG all loose half drilleds.JPG

Good tips! Thank you!

Should I have them in a ziplock in my jewelry box then? Or is it enough to make sure they’re not touching anything? Would the plastic bag make any moisture from the pearl less likely to escape?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh. That's quite literally the opposite of any advice I've ever heard. I'm assuming he means unsealed? I've always stored mine in a jewelry box and will continue to do so. Every so often I put the tray on the counter while I take a shower.

Last night i hung a strand off the open window stay while i had a shower

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in the 4th most temperate climate in the world (dont ask me what cities are 1, 2 or 3)
Its my opal ring im more worrie about :lol-2:
I do wear my pearls on rainy days on purpose and i occasionally shower in them (not shamoo days)

Good to now plastic bags are ok
Ive noticed when i had a catch fixed at the jewler they came back in a plastic bag

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m pretty low maintenance with my pearls. My baby strand bracelet actually never comes off and it’s held up great over a year through all the showers and beaches and sweating etc. I don’t think they’re as fragile as they look. That being said I do keep mine away from point gem cutlets and sharp metal bits. Storage is largely in a tray in a drawer. I do keep my loose pearls in plastic bags for easy organizing though. Not that I have that many loose ones.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I you are storing them in a jewelry box then? Is there enough humidity in the air or is that even a concern?
I keep mine in soft-sided zippered leather box - nothing fancy at all :bigsmile: I wrap the clasps in microfiber to prevent any metal-on-pearl action, but the pearls themselves are just loose in there! The gemmy stuff goes into little silk pouches before joining the melee ::)

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I keep mine in soft-sided zippered leather box - nothing fancy at all :bigsmile: I wrap the clasps in microfiber to prevent any metal-on-pearl action, but the pearls themselves are just loose in there! The gemmy stuff goes into little silk pouches before joining the melee ::)

Those silk pouches sound nice! Would I find something like that on Etsy?

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondyes Yes, there have several types and sizes. I use these, but there are also drawstring ones.

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 4.13.19 PM.png

Reactions: CMN
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results