shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This isnt nearly as pretty as some of those beautiful Asian comfort foods some of you girls make that make me salivate
But this is comfort food from down home - South of the south island, Otago and Southland
mum never made them because netball teams used to sell them for fundraisers ...back when cheese and bread were cheap
Gary who grew up in Wellington to an English mum and an Irish dad doesn't really like them, he never grew up with them or had even heard of them till me
they serve them in cafes down home, when i was a kid we had coffee lunches and tea rooms not cafes

The humble cheese roll
A packet of dried onion soup, nestles reduced cream, lots of grated cheese
(As another option also with a tinned of creamed corn to make corn rolls)
Perhaps some finally chopped onion, maybe some black pepper, occaionally a teaspoon of mustard

Warmed till the cheese melts and the mix combines
spread on sandwhich bread then rolled up and toasted served with butter
We would often have these for super at home
super being a snack latter in the evening rather than the evening meal

also good with soup
i have especially found menories of 4th form school camp after being wet and cold from canoeing and having cheese rolls and pumpkin soup for lunch
that was when i discovered i liked pumpkin soup
i even went to the home economics teacher and asked her for the recepies - i didn't take cooking at high school but the class had been busy making and freezing our school camp lunches durring the term
i loved school camp more than anything else at school as my parents - probably more mum - was not a camper

20200721_102948.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's still about 1/4 the price !
Are they grown local ?
The ones i have brought were hardly fresh ....but i still enjoyed them
im planning on making a lychee cheesecake inspired by @mellowyellowgirl
I have elderflower and lime cordial, lime jelly and a tin of passionfruit for garnish and ginger biscuits for the base, cream cheese, cream ....but do you think i can find a tin of lychees anywhere ?????
We usually have the tridant brand and another brand? on the shelf here but everdently some freight it finding it hard to get into the country because there isnt enough flights coming in so air freight is exspensive
Before covid 19 I used to buy a tin of lychers every time i went to the super market

Do you have an Asian grocery store where you live?

They usually have tinned lychees.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Made another crustless quiche, quick and easy low carb breakfast for dh and myself. This one has caramel used onions, Canadian bacon and gruyere.
B0038238-56AC-4D3D-A84C-2F4CA2201144.jpeg

For lunch yesterday, I made
Chicken salad with walnuts and celelery added for crunch, and eaten in a spinach tortilla wrap.
94ACCDE4-7FC2-46CF-BC2F-8634FEFC3BB9.jpeg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My husband has been cutting carbs lately because of his growing belly (from drinking beer!) so I have been making more low carb meals.

Today I decided To try my hand at my first low carb dessert. This is a NY style cheesecake with a walnut crust. I think I may have over-baked a tad, and my oven clearly has uneven heat going on, but hope he likes it, the rest of us are not big dessert eaters! D81F571B-0BC7-45F7-8C4C-5A121B65F97E.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have an Asian grocery store where you live?

They usually have tinned lychees.

Yes !
Great idea !
For Gary's birthday present im going there to buy hot sauces and continents
That's what ive got him for his birthday the last few years

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selection of things I've been eating! Yes you've seen it before but these are new pics!

I keep working on this pandan chiffon recipe. The boys think I'm insane but I can't let it go. There is a very specific expectation in my head.

IMG_20200723_181757.jpg

IMG_20200709_181422.jpg IMG_20200722_190714.jpg
IMG_20200718_184351.jpg
IMG_20200724_202412.jpg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Well, I stopped working out, started eating more, and gained weight. It's strange, that now i eat more junk food, and I'm not a fan of it.
Hopefully, from Monday I'll work out to get into shape because I feel sorry that I ruined all the previous progress.

Good for you. Set your mind to start working out again and stick with it. I have been cooking a lot more since WFH, and I love my own cooking, so to offset eating more, I have been working out more too. I think my weight has remained stable. My jeans still fit :)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like using my smaller plates! This was breakfast today. Right about 275 calories. Big plate is for DH (he had another bagel and an orange added to his after photo) and small is for me. Comparison is showing the same quantity of food on two plates. I know it is all a brain trick, but it helps me eat the smaller amount when my plate isn't mostly empty!

Turkey sausage, mini bagel, and eggs.

(Forgive the cardboard box. That is my produce delivery for the week.)

IMG_20200724_100512364.jpg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I like using my smaller plates! This was breakfast today. Right about 275 calories. Big plate is for DH (he had another bagel and an orange added to his after photo) and small is for me. Comparison is showing the same quantity of food on two plates. I know it is all a brain trick, but it helps me eat the smaller amount when my plate isn't mostly empty!

We use pretty small plates at our house too. So one "Plateful" looks like a lot of food and fills us up in our minds.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have been trying to find lunch plates for years
mum had some and were perfect
its intetesting how plates and cups/mugs and bowls have got bigger over time
I have grandma's 1930's? desert set and mum's early 1990s dinnerset and the bowls particularly are tiny and small respectfully, compaired to our modern dishes
when did we all get so gready ?

In saying that i made bacom and eggs etc for breakfast and could eaisely have eatten twice as much

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Have been eating healthy salads with grilled chicken at work all week....but today poutine. LOL

cheers--Sharon

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smoked zucchini and cherry tomatoes was a big success. Will do more of them again!

Just under 450 calories!

Cornish game hens smoked with balsamic lemon glaze.
Carrots & purple potatoes smoked with onions.
Zucchini & cherry tomatoes smoked (light drizzle of EVOO and sprinkle of salt)

IMG_20200724_224721996.jpg

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
It is very bad! Should be one of the cheapest vegetables on shelves.

But botanically they are fruits 8-) Tasteless and depending on seasoning.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Breakfast:
230 calories

Egg over medium on top of 24 grain toast with 1/2 ounce smoked Gouda. IMG_20200725_093511883.jpg

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
Fried rice..
IMG_20200717_1852085.jpg

Caramelized pork rice bowl with nuoc cham sauce poured on the veggies..
IMG_20200724_0325287.jpg

Lemongrass beef vermicelli bowl. I drizzled with a bit of garlic hoisin sauce..
IMG_20200725_0143454.jpg

And this apple caramel cheesecake...which I didn't make :lol-2:
IMG_20200717_2117058.jpg

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chicken schwarma and hummus left over from takeout dinner Thursday. DH had the rice that came with it plus pita. I skipped that in favor of lots of lettuce, some fresh cherry tomatoes, and a few cornichons. Lettuce has a garlic dressing from the restaurant -- fresh garlic with enough EVOO to make it sort of pour instead of spoon.

Calories more difficult as I didn't make the hummus or schwarma, but my best estimate puts it at around 500-600 calories and oh so worth the splurge! IMG_20200725_172359241.jpg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I had a very naughty and bad eating weekend....but made up
For it by working out 2x a day. We heard about mochi donuts from a FB friend and had to order some for ourselves! So worth the hefty price and the calories. The kicker is we followed our delectable rich breakfast with korean fried chicken. Extra crispy with extra flavor!

4E38B039-2926-4DB8-A15F-176446855346.jpeg

Attachments

• 8DBBD227-F7CD-4CCA-ABE3-E3A27D8E9434.jpeg
    8DBBD227-F7CD-4CCA-ABE3-E3A27D8E9434.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 15
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results