shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My DH enjoyed breakfast for dinner last night.

Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 8.27.14 AM.png

Simple yet nutritious. Spinach, eggs, avocado, chicken, cheese vegetables.

That looks yummy @missy!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I saw that recipe @Loves Vintage , but I’m not much of a chocolate person, so instead I made a banana cake with some overripe bananas I had.

I put pecan nuts on DH’s side because I don’t like nuts either :lol:

A3D8A5C3-DF91-49C3-90C8-E6A62E8B9633.jpeg

It looks yummy @Austina! You don’t love chocolate!? I can’t keep it on the house or I will eat it all!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oy, I've made 4 banana loaves so far, and have banans for a 5th one. My DD1 is celiac, so all baking has to be gluten free, which is challenging, but definitely doable. I'm craving chocolate chip cookies so bad. Why are we baking so much? Lol, this isn't our usual diet.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
What do you do with the spam ?
What's it actually like ?

Hey, just want to let you know I always have spam home. I use it in noodle soup, add to instant noodle. I put the water in before water is boil. I also dice it up to use in fried rice. You can also pan fried it both side, then add the egg. When the egg is cook through then I eat it with rice or noodle. There are so many ways to use it.

Oh some other popular way to use in in Asia is make sandwiches. Slice up the spam, add egg, lettuce, whatever you feel would taste good.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, just want to let you know I always have spam home. I use it in noodle soup, add to instant noodle. I put the water in before water is boil. I also dice it up to use in fried rice. You can also pan fried it both side, then add the egg. When the egg is cook through then I eat it with rice or noodle. There are so many ways to use it.

Oh some other popular way to use in in Asia is make sandwiches. Slice up the spam, add egg, lettuce, whatever you feel would taste good.

Thank you for the suggestions, im now definatly going to buy some next week
We eat a ton of tuna with frozen veg in noodles for lunch but with the supermarkets only letting us buy 2 tins at once im going to try this
how much would i use in 2 min noddles ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oy, I've made 4 banana loaves so far, and have banans for a 5th one. My DD1 is celiac, so all baking has to be gluten free, which is challenging, but definitely doable. I'm craving chocolate chip cookies so bad. Why are we baking so much? Lol, this isn't our usual diet.

I can't beleave the bananas ive thrown out over the years, i made my first banana bread this year and now make banana pancakes for breakfast (with bacon) once a week
ill never throw an overripe banana out ever again

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions, im now definatly going to buy some next week
We eat a ton of tuna with frozen veg in noodles for lunch but with the supermarkets only letting us buy 2 tins at once im going to try this
how much would i use in 2 min noddles ?

It’s all up to you on how much you want to eat. I usually cut a few slice like 2-3 slices, 5mm -10mm thick or so. It’s up to you.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spam question: For those of you saying you commonly make things with it, where do you live? In America I don't believe it's a widely popular thing. (Admittedly I'm painting with somewhat of a broad brush here, but not in a way that I mean to be condescending or anything else negative, simply thinking back through the things I've eaten over the years, so if I offend anyone I apologize in advance!) Anyway, this spam thing is just fascinating to me -- I'm really curious about how eating habits vary around the world!

Last edited:

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
Pandan waffles

I didn't dare use the tiny plant so have to rely on essence for now. Not bad! The key is to only use a tiny amount so it doesn't kick up the artificial smell

IMG_20200409_112556.jpg

I love pandan anything!!!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Australia

@Dee*Jay

Most Aussies think it's pretty disgusting too. My friends who love it are usually
of Cantonese background. It's served with egg on sandwiches in the Hong Kong cafes or with packet noodles.

I'm Vietnamese and it was usually fried up as an extra dish to serve with rice when we thought there wasn't enough savoury food to go around.

A traditional Vietnamese meal is usually white rice with one or two meat dishes and a vegetable dish. So if the meat dishes were small or the cook was too busy to prep another one that day they might fry up some spam or make a spam omelette as an extra dish.

These days it's a treat for us because of how unhealthy it is. We eat it sparingly because it's rubbish but we long for the taste!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love pandan anything!!!

Me too!!!!

I snipped two leaves from the pandan plant to make my son some chiffon cakes (not enough chlorophyll for the green color but the aroma was fantastic).

However I'm conscious of not killing the baby plant so I resorted to essence for my waffles. They have coconut in them too!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Spam question: For those of you saying you commonly make things with it, where do you live? In America I don't believe it's a widely popular thing. (Admittedly I'm painting with somewhat of a broad brush here, but not in a way that I mean to be condescending or anything else negative, simply thinking back through the things I've eaten over the years, so if I offend anyone I apologize in advance!) Anyway, this spam thing is just fascinating to me -- I'm really curious about how eating habits vary around the world!

So, I grew up in rural PA with a single mom and very little money. She made spam because it was cheap protein. She would slice it, pan fry and make sandwiches on white bread. It was the 80's...

Or serve slices with white rice. I remember that.

I would not eat it now myself.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I can't beleave the bananas ive thrown out over the years, i made my first banana bread this year and now make banana pancakes for breakfast (with bacon) once a week
ill never throw an overripe banana out ever again

You can also make banana "ice cream" with them too.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Made one of the “Depression Cake” recipes that I’ve been seeing on line. So called Depression Cake because it uses no butter or eggs. Though the frosting is all butter of course. I’ve never been a chocolate cake fan, but it was super easy to make, and my kids basically thought I was a hero. Haha. 3472525A-8A49-4F99-B6E7-F5C8E4213EF8.jpeg

I have made depression cake for years! It's in the classic Betty Crocker book as chocolate snack cake. I make it when I don't want to use the stand mixer.

I have tried to eliminate the oil with applesauce. It makes it way too heavy. I actually like that cake. It's funny to see it labeled vegan chocolate cake online too in recent years, like it's this big new discovery.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I grew up in California and I ate Spam from time to time. My mom would slice it up and fry it, and we ate it with rice and other dishes.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We used to get Spam at school, would have it with mashed potato and beans, or they’d serve it as a Spam fritter (in a crispy batter). I don’t think I’ve eaten it since :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 7.16.17 AM.png

Greg's dinner last night. Salad, chicken, beans and other veggies.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also make banana "ice cream" with them too.

Oh I love banana ice cream! Thanks for reminding me. But darn, where did I put the yonana machine?

Does anybody else have a Yonana?

yonana.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one as I received one as a gift but I've never used it! I should probably try it lol.

I am sad. Greg just informed me we don't have a Yonana here. It's at the beach house. Sigh. Ice cream efforts thwarted again. ;(

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I am sad. Greg just informed me we don't have a Yonana here. It's at the beach house. Sigh. Ice cream efforts thwarted again. ;(

Bummer! Oh well that's what Costco is for!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bummer! Oh well that's what Costco is for!

LOL we are not planning a Costco trip for a while now and I hope we don't have to go...I will know tonight as I was finally able to secure a delivery time slot from Amazon fresh. So hoping my produce order arrives! If not we might have to venture out to Costco tomorrow...do they sell Yonanas? I got our Yonana at Bed Bath and Beyond I think.

But you are so right. Costco has almost everything. They rock. Even during a pandemic. Though this waiting on line to get into stores is getting tiresome. Surreal.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
LOL we are not planning a Costco trip for a while now and I hope we don't have to go...I will know tonight as I was finally able to secure a delivery time slot from Amazon fresh. So hoping my produce order arrives! If not we might have to venture out to Costco tomorrow...do they sell Yonanas? I got our Yonana at Bed Bath and Beyond I think.

But you are so right. Costco has almost everything. They rock. Even during a pandemic. Though this waiting on line to get into stores is getting tiresome. Surreal.

It's so tough and surreal. The costco vanilla icecream is really good if you or hubby can get there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results