shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I made the banana bread! It was awful. I only had two bananas, tried to use baking powder instead of soda because I had none and let's just say the whole thing was horrible!

What recipe did you use? I use backing powder all the time and it works fine.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I usually google a recepie to go with how many bananas i have but some recepies are definatly nicer than others
if i only had one banana id make banana pancakes ....we may have even had those for breakfast today ....

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t had a huge appetite, and the majority of my meals are home-cooked from farmers market produce. As a result, I’ve lost weight.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Not much has changed, yet - without going to town, I came to know the good side of each grocer & fishmonger down the street & everything looks better than I knew [also, prices are embarassingly less - so do I feel foolish! ... but just about everyone used to make their living out of supplying the pubs I used to go to etc. ,( I'll be eating out for months after this, just to make ammends for the discounts ,)]

Then again, I was having breakfast of black chocolate, toasted sesame, cured cheese & wild garlic at around 4am [with a post or two here to prove it.]

off to the market

elizat

Ideal_Rock

It was from my old Betty Crocker cookbook.

I think it was a combo of only two bananas and the baking powder. It was terrible!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just ordered this for my DH. Local bakery delivering Thursday.
F542D5C3-3BEC-4913-8468-3D1589AB5509.jpeg
B36A1198-B5D9-4714-9451-B3305CF453EE.jpeg 8B2030B4-B753-42AA-929C-7607AFCCBE1C.jpeg 728C13CD-EE3E-498F-8C1E-011843842D62.jpeg

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This morning I put on a pair of pants and said, "Oh damn, these shrank in the dryer."

Then I remembered these pants Do Not Get Put In The Dryer.

;(

Lettuce only until this is over!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This morning I put on a pair of pants and said, "Oh damn, these shrank in the dryer."

;(

If you can get lettuce! It’s easier to get freshly baked goods delivered here. So of course I promptly ordered some. Ok lots. :lol:
:shhh:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium

;(

Yup, me too! Not enough exercise and more red wine. Now I’m going to get strict with myself.

Q

Queenie60

It was from my old Betty Crocker cookbook.

I think it was a combo of only two bananas and the baking powder. It was terrible!

Banana Bread:

2 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) soft butter
6 bananas, mashed
4 eggs
2-1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Mix flour, baking soda and salt together in a small bowl, set aside
Cream sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs and banana, mix thoroughly. Add dry ingredients to banana mixture, combine slowly as flour will make its way out of the bowl! Pour into bread pans (spray with cooking spray) - bake 45 minutes at 350 or until golden brown.

Enjoy! This is the best banana recipe I've ever made.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say we are eating pretty well. Going to groc store average of every week, week and a half. I think I lost a couple pounds initially. Not bc of covid because I was doing orthodox lent and sometimes was so tired of eating beans and rice didn't eat much for dinner. But starting a couple weeks ago, while I'm still not eating meat started to include dairy, because my life was pretty stressful and trying to do that at the same time meant I had lack appetite motivation to cook. I do admit I used food (and wine) to comfort myself. I'm planning to do better going forward. I am sad I won't be able to celebrate Easter with extended family this year, and miss going to restaurants (how spoiled does that sound!) I am glad I have my kids for company though I feel there are are days we get Nothing done. Anyways trying to work on having more of schedule and continue to eat healthy

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had vanilla root beer float everyday last week and gained 2 lbs...Guess I better lay off it this week or cycle more!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not much has changed, yet - without going to town, I came to know the good side of each grocer & fishmonger down the street & everything looks better than I knew [also, prices are embarassingly less - so do I feel foolish! ... but just about everyone used to make their living out of supplying the pubs I used to go to etc. ,( I'll be eating out for months after this, just to make ammends for the discounts ,)]

Then again, I was having breakfast of black chocolate, toasted sesame, cured cheese & wild garlic at around 4am [with a post or two here to prove it.]

off to the market

How exotic. y'all are making me jealous considering I have oatmeal with cranberries daily...lol

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Arcadian Well, there might exist ten little(-ish) boxes of oats in this kitchen - keyboard food, or serious (polenta-like.)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can get lettuce! It’s easier to get freshly baked goods delivered here. So of course I promptly ordered some. Ok lots. :lol:
:shhh:

I actually found lettuce. Just west of me is a co-op. Theyve got vegetable boxes for 44 dollars, I told my husband go get one...lol they're doing a whole drive through thing, pay for it online, show the receipt, someone scans it, then puts the box in your trunk. Not sure how long thats going to last but farmers here are turning food under because supply chain is that broken.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually found lettuce. Just west of me is a co-op. Theyve got vegetable boxes for 44 dollars, I told my husband go get one...lol they're doing a whole drive through thing, pay for it online, show the receipt, someone scans it, then puts the box in your trunk. Not sure how long thats going to last but farmers here are turning food under because supply chain is that broken.

we have some companies that supply small restaurants turning their goods into direct to consumer produce boxes. we got one last weekend, the greens were already wilty, i'm sure a lot of food is going to waste right now which is a shame b/c the lines at the food banks are also going up.

restaurants around here have also been selling items straight from their fridges, even toilet paper from their cupboards.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I saw everyone posting desserts here, and it made me craved for some.

I made crepes for dinner. :lol:

My kids ate plain crepes for dinner. For adults I added mango, drizzled condensed milk and top it with some whip cream.

Didn’t want to cook dinner...

7190EAF2-9639-4370-9452-34AFA53247E8.jpeg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

;(

Oh so THAT'S what happened to my pants!

Definitely gaining weight. And today my wines arrived in the mail so I'll be adding wine to my daily consumption. Definitely not good for my weight but it's so hard to care...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just ordered this for my DH. Local bakery delivering Thursday.
F542D5C3-3BEC-4913-8468-3D1589AB5509.jpeg
B36A1198-B5D9-4714-9451-B3305CF453EE.jpeg 8B2030B4-B753-42AA-929C-7607AFCCBE1C.jpeg 728C13CD-EE3E-498F-8C1E-011843842D62.jpeg

Oh i love macaroons
Last time i was in Christchurch staying at my sister's for Bruce (i did buy my sister a ticket) we went to a mall recently reopened after the earthquakes, there was this place that did macaroons like ive only seen in overseas magazines (like your ones above) they were really exspensive but i brought a box for Gary and a box for her for having me
she hid her's in the freezer so the kids wouldn't scoff the lot
Sure enough my nephew had found them and like a dumb arse he left the empty box and all the packaging in the freezer
i felt sad my sister didn't get any
My nephew had to surrender some pocket money and wasn't allowed desert of a week (he was allowed fruit instead)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why can i suddenly not reply ?

@diamondn those crapes look delicouse but we don't keep condenced milk in our house ...because i eat it out of the tin !

@bludiva this is also happening here
With greengrocers and restaurants and cafes shut and of course takeaway like Macdonalds alot of fresh produce has no way of getting to consumers as the supermarkets have contract growers
Our little local grocery store has some very basic fruit and veg but the prices of some lines scare me
I got a cabbage rather than a brocolli, but im not complaining (too much) , i got a nice piece of pumpkin and bananas were the same price as our usual supermarket in town

Some growers are having to plough crops back into the ground from lack of pickers and loss of market, but if they don't get seed in the ground now there will be a genuine shortage latter

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I am eating more carbs than I am proud to admit. But I am making sure to exercise daily. So it is a weird mix of eating worse but exercising more.

Suddenly I feel like baking cookies.... My kids have been asking me. I think I may have to give in! I do have some chocolate chunks in the house i have been hiding for just this sort of baking emergency :)

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Oh so THAT'S what happened to my pants!

Definitely gaining weight. And today my wines arrived in the mail so I'll be adding wine to my daily consumption. Definitely not good for my weight but it's so hard to care...

My 21 year old daughter who is home finishing her last semester of college since they shut her school has declared every Monday in our house 'Jeans Monday" and she is insisting that her teenage siblings, me, and her all wear jeans so we don't outgrow them. I think it is a great idea and we are all on board! Now, I am off to bake those cookies....

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@missy those macarons are pretty! I used to bake them all the time. They are finicky but once you get it down, not too bad. Just can't be made when it's super humid. Which is hard in Florida. Aging the eggs always helped. I think I have everything to make them actually.

I liked making ones filled with chocolate ganache and raspberry jam. I also did a very American chocolate macaron with peanut butter filling a lot. Lemon curd with and without raspberry was also very good!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy those macarons are pretty! I used to bake them all the time. They are finicky but once you get it down, not too bad. Just can't be made when it's super humid. Which is hard in Florida. Aging the eggs always helped. I think I have everything to make them actually.

I liked making ones filled with chocolate ganache and raspberry jam. I also did a very American chocolate macaron with peanut butter filling a lot. Lemon curd with and without raspberry was also very good!

Go make some now so we can all be hungry and jelouse :mrgreen2:
Ive never seen home made ones before

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tonight ww are going to have a descent meal - im roasting a chicken and some pumpkin, kumera (sweet potato) and souds
I want to fry some cabbage in the pan juices
i usually give the pan juices to the cats but i recently discovered fried cabbage with bacon and i think cabbage could be a winner with a chicken dinner if done this way ;)2

Its a small chicken but there will be enough for Borris and Tibby's dinner too

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anyway i was wondering is anyone eatting anything unusual ?
salads are a bit limited right now just being apple slaw, and carrot salad with rasins
our tomatos are limping along as we head into the colder darker months, im ripening some in a paper bag with a banana and some on the windowsill and the sweet 100 is still producing a handfull every couple of days
(it wouldn't matter if i earned 100K a year i would still complain about the price of winter tomatos - yet i know its the only time the growers make good money)

A few months back i planted our first herb garden to find now we have basil in abundance neither of us really like it and i don't have any nuts or a blender to make pesto - although i am freezing it
However the sage, rosemary, oregano and especially the chives have been useful

i made a green tomato relish recepie my Swedish friend makes which turned out well

but sometimes i just want a bit of fresh crunchy green on the plate

i did find two nesturshan plants that finally grew from some expired seed but they are so small i don't want to strip them

So as an eattable garnish and lettuce substitute in burgers ive been using folliage from my NZ yams (oca) its a member of the oaxalis family and tastes pleasantly sour and the stem is crunchy and juicy 20200407_170203.jpg
I also have been doing selective prunning on my elephant bush - Portulacaria afra - the leaves are fresh and juicy and a few look really beautiful in a carrot salad 20200407_170147.jpg

Next i plan to make lilly pilly jelly - its my beautiful tree the birds love i enjoy so much out of my kitchen window

Our particular lilly pilly has a big pip so i can't do much with the fruit - lilly pilly fruit have a crunchy apple taste good for fruit salad but eatten alone they suck all the moisture out of one's mouth !
but i think the jelly will be alot like crap apple jelly my parents enjoyed making every year 20200407_171223.jpg
I have my jar covers and jam sugar all ready and there will be more than enough that the birds won't go hungry

finally my hero -
our meye lemon tree - (not at all unusual but so versatile) - its a bit hard because all the ripe lemons are up really high right now put this old girl gives and gives and gives. I feel sad i can't buy her citrus fert right now but we have fertile soil and she's no doubt gone without before

which is more than can be said with the cape goseberry that hitched a ride in a planter when we shifted. Its growing beautiful in the layer of bark above the weedmat - needless to say the fruit are tiny - i ocassional remember to water it but must do something better for it 20200407_171209.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results