shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I finally gathered enough courage to get on the scale and... let's just say it wasn't very helpful for my stress eating :shock:

I still don’t have the courage to get on the scale. But I know I had gained weight....I’m scared!

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Left over birthday cake for afternoon snack :eek-2:

And I literally never ever had whip cream in the house until the quarantine. Now it's being added to cake, coffee, next up might be squirting directly in the mouth...
20200404_141339.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ordered fish and octopus from whole foods. was delievered earlier this evening, so thats what I'll have with some sort of frozen vegetable.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This morning we finished daylight savings so to take advantage of the extra hour, I made bacon jam
430E1430-E08C-4F9A-A108-F1B1ACE2F500.jpeg

and a coffee cake - it was supposed to be cupcakes but I couldn’t be bothered with individual cases so I put it in a sponge roll tin. Then got impatient moving it round before it had cooled and it broke. Oh no! I had to eat the broken bit ;)2:lol-2:
57069F0F-A808-4C63-8796-967EC93FF085.jpeg

We have a piece of brisket to slow cook this afternoon for dinner with slaw and corn so I’m googling recipes for this now.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bacon jam?!?

What is this bit of magic? Please explain!

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered fish and octopus from whole foods. was delievered earlier this evening, so thats what I'll have with some sort of frozen vegetable.

Where I live,whole food had run out of delivery time slots. I’ve been trying for the last 3 days. No luck.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where I live,whole food had run out of delivery time slots. I’ve been trying for the last 3 days. No luck.

I got in on pure luck. same with Target. I waited until later in the evening when slots opened up (hey that could be the strategy...lol)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bacon jam?!?

What is this bit of magic? Please explain!
Well basically you cook up a bunch of bacon (1kg in our case) and chop it finely. Don’t cook it too crisp otherwise it’s a pain to chop (don’t ask me how I know :lol-2:).
Get about 4 onions, a mix of brown and red or really, any nice onions will do. Shallots would work but are fiddly af so you’ll be peeling and slicing forever. Use my second favourite kitchen tool after my knife, the mandolin, to slice your onions finely then set them in a big pot with a good slosh of olive oil on a low heat. Do something else, like bake a coffee cake, while they slowly turn translucent and then start to caramelise. Add a couple of heaped tablespoons of brown sugar and crank the heat up to medium. Stir frequently to stop them burning. Once you’ve got a nice level of even caramelisation happening in the onions, tip your bacon in and get it all nice and hot. I like to add rosemary and mustard seeds here - couple of spoons of each, but you don’t have to. You should be seeing some good brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
Get about 1/2-3/4C balsamic vinegar and pour it in. Step back quickly because your eyes will water but it does smell amazing.
Let it all bubble up and get sticky and thick.
While it’s doing that, put a clean preserving jar in the still-hot oven you used for your cake. Let the jar get hot for a good ten mins or so. Taste the bacon jam. It should be sweet, tart, salty and savoury. Tweak to suit with more sugar, vinegar or salt. Once you’re happy with it, pour the hot jam into the hot jar and let it cook slightly before screwing the lid on to seal it. It’s amazing on just about anything but it makes impressively good cheese toasties.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well basically you cook up a bunch of bacon (1kg in our case) and chop it finely. Don’t cook it too crisp otherwise it’s a pain to chop (don’t ask me how I know :lol-2:).
Get about 4 onions, a mix of brown and red or really, any nice onions will do. Shallots would work but are fiddly af so you’ll be peeling and slicing forever. Use my second favourite kitchen tool after my knife, the mandolin, to slice your onions finely then set them in a big pot with a good slosh of olive oil on a low heat. Do something else, like bake a coffee cake, while they slowly turn translucent and then start to caramelise. Add a couple of heaped tablespoons of brown sugar and crank the heat up to medium. Stir frequently to stop them burning. Once you’ve got a nice level of even caramelisation happening in the onions, tip your bacon in and get it all nice and hot. I like to add rosemary and mustard seeds here - couple of spoons of each, but you don’t have to. You should be seeing some good brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
Get about 1/2-3/4C balsamic vinegar and pour it in. Step back quickly because your eyes will water but it does smell amazing.
While it’s doing that, put a clean preserving jar in the still-hot oven you used for your cake. Let the jar get hot for a good ten mins or so. Taste the bacon jam. It should be sweet, tart, salty and savoury. Tweak to suit with more sugar, vinegar or salt. Once you’re happy with it, pour the hot jam into the hot jar and let it cook slightly before screwing the lid on to seal it. It’s amazing on just about anything but it makes impressively good cheese toasties.

:lickout:

I am saving this recipe. Thank you.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just add a photo, pls? I *just* got off the phone with my gastro after a really horrible ulcerative colitis flare and a trip to hospital last week, during which a bunch of blood tests were taken which were pretty worrying (checked me out for liver cancer post endometrial cancer last year and a 'probably Lynch Syndrome' diagnosis this year). Apparently all the worrying blood readings were due to infection and inflammation, which, while horrible, just aren't in the same league as liver cancer.

So while I was getting all that good news, I snapped a photo from Zoom while we were chatting. I am SO RELIEVED!

And also - I'm doing keto and have been continuing it during this lockdown. It normally agrees with me - a lot - but it's such a simple diet, cooking is largely off the table (so to speak) as an activity. So I'm not gaining weight, but I'm pretty damn bored....

Facetune_02-04-2020-08-05-44.jpg

ETA I can't drink on keto, but I would LOVE a large glass of celebratory wine right about now!

I love this pic of you @mrs-b, you're just as I imagined you'd be! Elegant and classy, with a kind smile and skin to die for :kiss2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Made lockdown loaf
i used Budweiser only because i read Speights gold didnt walk
i also had to add water to make up for the beer i drunk ;)2
I did 1/3 wholemeal flour and a handful of rolled oats
I forget to start the timer but it is perfectly cooked
lovelly malty undertones 20200405_181240.jpg
We are having it with appleslaw, home grown tomatos, chicken nuggets and Gary is happy carrot salad

20200405_181007.jpg
Lockdown loaf has no yeast and no kneeding
Gary said it was really nice

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No!

Matt makes me grilled cheese each morning since we have been working from home.

I like sourdough with Munster cheese.

Oh I adore munster cheese and combined with sourdough and melting it all I can say is

yumm.gif

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Patty melts which I learnt from America's Test Kitchen (love that show).

I was really craving a burger and this was the closest thing I had ingredients for!

IMG_20200405_182100.jpg

Those fries are awesome.

yummmmmm.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Foxi, will you marry me?

:lickout:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I made the banana bread! It was awful. I only had two bananas, tried to use baking powder instead of soda because I had none and let's just say the whole thing was horrible!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made the banana bread! It was awful. I only had two bananas, tried to use baking powder instead of soda because I had none and let's just say the whole thing was horrible!

Oh that's so sad
Im not very good with substitutions

Don't be discouraged
Better luck next time

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
....so at 3am this morning we finished of the bread with peanut butter and jam

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results