shape
carat
color
clarity

How are you eating during the virus lockdown?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are eating mainly what we usually eat, although I have included fries a few times with take out food (bad) . I am sure I am gaining weight since I am sitting around more than usual. I am afraid to step on the scales until I attempt to lose some of it! I need to do strict keto but I right now food is basically one of my few pleasures! (It's actually always one of my few pleasures! :lol: )

Happy to hear of the good blood test results, @mrs-b !

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My weight is holding pretty steady.

I'm cooking 3 meals a day for my family of 4. THE DISHES. :eek-2: I think my calorie intake is about the same as before, but somehow I feel like I'm snacking more.

I'm working out daily, which is more frequent than usual for me (I normally run 5-7 miles through our local park 5 times/week). I'm currently doing a minimum of 30 minutes of high-intensity cardio every day. My workouts now consist of running 3-4 miles around my neighborhood or doing a stair workout in my house. We have one flight of stairs and I'll run up and down as fast as I can for 30 minutes, which is way harder than you'd think! Or, I might do a HIIT or kickboxing video. I also do an upper body strength training video every other day. I actually hate exercise but feel it's super important to prioritize during this crazy time.

I do wake up later than usual these days, which is nice! Normally I wake up at 6:45 but now I slowly mosey out of bed at 7:30 or 8.

As for whether now is the time to go vegan/keto/carnivore/vegetarian/paleo, I'd say it depends on whether you can get the right groceries to support that way of eating. My food style is a keto-paleo hybrid with 20% cheating allowed. :mrgreen:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I just add a photo, pls? I *just* got off the phone with my gastro after a really horrible ulcerative colitis flare and a trip to hospital last week, during which a bunch of blood tests were taken which were pretty worrying (checked me out for liver cancer post endometrial cancer last year and a 'probably Lynch Syndrome' diagnosis this year). Apparently all the worrying blood readings were due to infection and inflammation, which, while horrible, just aren't in the same league as liver cancer.

So while I was getting all that good news, I snapped a photo from Zoom while we were chatting. I am SO RELIEVED!

And also - I'm doing keto and have been continuing it during this lockdown. It normally agrees with me - a lot - but it's such a simple diet, cooking is largely off the table (so to speak) as an activity. So I'm not gaining weight, but I'm pretty damn bored....

Facetune_02-04-2020-08-05-44.jpg

ETA I can't drink on keto, but I would LOVE a large glass of celebratory wine right about now!

Absolutely wonderful news!! What a relief!! Also, you are a very beautiful woman, inside and out! 8)

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@whitewave Very practical solution! I think I have a small stack of plastic plates somewhere and may bust that out when I feel like I just can't deal!

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I weigh about the same, DH lost 5 lbs. It's ironic because I want to lose 10 lbs, but DH is already at his ideal weight.

We are eating the same as before (mostly keto), but with less fresh veggies and more frozen veggies.

I think DH lost weight because he doesn't get to have his cheat lunches anymore, lol.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news @mrs-b !

I have been eating the same as usual, which is 90% healthy as I cook all our meals from scratch & we get through heaps of fresh veg. But along with my running & yoga, I've had to suffer the online HIIT sessions every morning with the girls for their PE lesson. So whilst I doubt I've lost weight, my tummy is looking far more toned & my Jean's are a bit lose around my arse. Obviously Joe Wicks is doing something to my muscles that I don't usually experience!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Eating at home more is what we are doing, obviously.

At the office, I'd order a sandwich and snack on not great stuff or get fast food if I was driving around for depositions or court.

I think I am probably eating healthier because it's more homemade food.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I adore that you asked a food question!!!!!

I've lost weight because I'm super picky so I'm only eating things I want to eat. Usually I'll be able to go to a restaurant and pick through my cravings but now it's only what's available so some days if I don't like what's on offer, I can't eat it.

That said I'm eating rather well as I tend to cook what I like.

I'm still going for walks and getting my 10000 steps a day. Previously it was 15000 but hey we're in a pandemic and I've got to home school so a girl can only do so much.

Speaking of fussy I ordered myself a pandan plant because I can no longer go galavanting around for fresh pandan so I decided I'm going to grow that damn leaf myself to make pandan waffles and chiffon cakes.

Food is life for me and I'm not an Armageddon food type of girl. I mean what is the point??? I've told the boys if it's actual Armageddon I'm peacing out cuz I ain't eating beans and tree roots. Or tinned tuna.

Some food pics of virus food (posted in another thread already):

IMG_20200321_235212.jpg
IMG_20200329_230010.jpg
IMG_20200330_182504.jpg
IMG_20200331_142756.jpg
IMG_20200330_224901.jpg
IMG_20200325_205317.jpg
IMG_20200323_205638.jpg

i want to come to your house for dinner, wow!

what we eat hasn't really changed, we have to plan our shopping ahead of time though.

definitely feel i've been working more and moving less...had a particularly busy month so hoping that will get back in balance.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We usually eat out two or three times a week so that's not happening right now. I'm cooking every night which I do enjoy but might wear thin after 4 weeks of doing it every night. We get a meal delivery that does 3 of our dinners at least so I don't have to be too creative outside of that! Lunch is usually leftovers from the previous night's dinner. I baked an apple shortcake at the start of the week which is too easy to snack on. I think that was a mistake.
We swapped lemons from our tree for a huge bunch of sage from our neighbours so that made a gorgeous sage brown butter ravioli one night. I started intermittent fasting about 10 days before we went into lockdown and I've kept that up (20 days and counting!) so I'm using it to also ensure I don't snack. Moving my laptop from the dining table to my own office has helped.
I've been working longer hours with the whole company working from home as it's presented some technical challenges on the applications my team supports so I'm moving less but my gym has offered free online classes to all its members and I'm doing those when I can. I also just put a resistance band and medicine ball next to my desk today to do some exercises between meetings just to move more. Pugs snuggling on my lap all the time is great but doesn't help with increasing movement ;)2

I'm very excited because I managed to get my favourite apples at the supermarket last night so I'm looking forward to having one of them when I break my fast later on today!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m definitely gaining weight. I eat when I’m bored, when I’m stressed, when I’m sad, when I’m happy...you get the drift. Add to the fact I’m home more so I’m snacking way too much.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My weight and exercise routine is stable. I used to walk to work every day, but now I'm working from home so just go for daily exercise walks early in the morning instead. While respecting social distancing of course!

I bought a mini-stepper in December and use it multiple times a day in front of the TV. Love it! Such an easy way to get a little weight-bearing cardio, all with a machine with a very small footprint.

My alcohol consumption is also unchanged. I don't drink much to begin with, and still don't.

Really the biggest changes for me are working from home full-time, and having the kids home out of school all day (yikes).

Anne

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No different meals than before (still fresh from scratch dishes) but takeouts are now only once a week versus eating out 4 times per week.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its not been great lol. We are cooking more and still getting take out once or twice a week, but my exercise has gone to shit. I don't like going to the gym, but had a gym membership strictly for the classes. I would do 1-2 hrs of class most nights and obviously the gyms have been closed for a while now. I've also been working extra and feel like ive been stress-snacking throughout the day lol.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We can't get a supermarket delivery so i am having to go out to the more exspensive small neighbourhod supermarket
The staff are very nice, they have planty of bread and milk (and toilet paper) and only ran out of flour but they are significantly more exspensive so im having to be really inventive with meals
We usually have tuna and noodles for lunch with lots of added frozen veg - but im leaving that for Gary and im having an apple or as our grapes are rippening im chowing down on them and toast. Its a nice bonus the shop has their bread and peanut butter cheap and they do a nice multigrain loaf
Im trying to be inventive with cabbage - it keeps fresh for quite a long time
i got a big pack of bacon and we had banana pancakes for breakfest - i didn't even notice the wholemeal flour i had to 1/2 and 1/2 - that's more economical than the cereals Gary likes
I brought a pound of butter and it was $7.99 so im looking for recepies that are super economical
Eggs, milk everything is dearer including cat food
Everything just feels so hard right now, i had to pay the rates (property tax) bill and we had to get a new gas bottle for the hot water
Our 2 year (just out of warrenty) fridge is on the blink so im using the bar fridge in the laundry which is outside the back door
We had a prowler the other night and had gang graffiti left on the garage and my Gardena hose wand stolen off the end of the hose and we are 99% sure it was the neighbours on that side
now we have a plumbing problem under the bathroom sink - we had to turn the water off last night and fill the bath up for water. Gary can fix it but he still can't see well and now he has verticgo - we dont have lights in the garage and can't see the box with the plumbing things in
I pretty much can't take much more

But im going to make a chocolate cake i saw online that is make with 1/3 cup of olive oil and i can sub in 1x cup of wholemeal flour - thats all i could get and ive never used it before but it tasted ok in this morning's pancakes because im running low on normal flour
i read you can substitute a 1/3 and sift it a few times and add a tiny bit more liquid

I know there are people doing it so much worse than me with so many people loosing their jobs and also people are getting sick and people i know (overseas) are starting to loose family members to the virus

Maybe chocolate cake will cheer me up
but its not 70% dark cocoa or anything fancy like the recepie wanted
I'll be just using the stuff from the box that shifted with us 2 years ago

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot in my earlier post to say the worst thing is that I have a flare up of plantar fasciitis right now. So I’m limiting my steps each day...no real exercise and no long walks to feel like I’m getting out. That’s a bummer since we’ve been having some nice weather. It’s easier to take it easy since I only have one activity still ongoing.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tonight we had chicken barley mushroom risotto. I made cranberry/white chocolate oatmeal cookies and froze them (this was last week) if I leave them out he'd eat all of them...lol so I made sure to take a few out the freezer tonight.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
YES!! Drinking while cooking! Love it! Miss it.... :(

Mrs B im so happy your blood tests were good, but not nice what you had going on - hope your on the mend and feeling better soon

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you’d asked me at the beginning of last week, I’d say we were eating less, simply because we couldn’t get any food, so were being careful with what we had. We would normally have had a full freezer and stocked cupboards, but we were due to be away (St Lucia & Barbados) so had been running everything down for the previous 4 weeks.

I stayed up all last Monday night trying to get a click and collect slot at any of the 5 supermarkets near us, and within a 20 mile radius. Absolutely nothing.

A friend told me about a local green grocer who delivers, so I was able to order a big box of fruit and vegetables, and then miraculously, a slot appeared at a supermarket I’d registered with before Christmas but hadn’t yet used. They delivered most of what we ordered, and I found a butcher in Scotland (the other end of the country to where I live), and ordered a lot of meat from them, which arrived yesterday.

We have fantastic neighbours who’ve offered to shop for us, but both have young families, and we’ve been reluctant to ask them for more than the odd carton of milk. This morning, one rang to ask if we needed eggs, something we haven’t been able to get, so he got us 12, which is fantastic.

I’m feeling considerably less stressed now we’ve sourced food and been able to get a couple of deliveries, so my appetite is back. I can see we’ll be putting on weight as we haven’t been going out at all, but are trying to exercise at home, but it’s not the same.

Congratulations on the good news @mrs-b

Im so glad you got a delivery
Here its basically only supermarkets open no takeaways, no butchers, no greengrocers, no bakeries or cafes, essential services only

we still have the opertunity to stamp out the virus here if we all self isolate
i can't risk a trip to the supermarket with all of Gary's risk factors
We are experts at self isolsting as we have been pretty much been doing this for a year, havn't had a meal someone else cooked in soooooo long

I wouldn't mind loosing more than a few pound, i need to fit my job interview clothes because when we get through this, the compition is going to be fierce out there

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can't get a supermarket delivery so i am having to go out to the more exspensive small neighbourhod supermarket
The staff are very nice, they have planty of bread and milk (and toilet paper) and only ran out of flour but they are significantly more exspensive so im having to be really inventive with meals
We usually have tuna and noodles for lunch with lots of added frozen veg - but im leaving that for Gary and im having an apple or as our grapes are rippening im chowing down on them and toast. Its a nice bonus the shop has their bread and peanut butter cheap and they do a nice multigrain loaf
Im trying to be inventive with cabbage - it keeps fresh for quite a long time
i got a big pack of bacon and we had banana pancakes for breakfest - i didn't even notice the wholemeal flour i had to 1/2 and 1/2 - that's more economical than the cereals Gary likes
I brought a pound of butter and it was $7.99 so im looking for recepies that are super economical
Eggs, milk everything is dearer including cat food
Everything just feels so hard right now, i had to pay the rates (property tax) bill and we had to get a new gas bottle for the hot water
Our 2 year (just out of warrenty) fridge is on the blink so im using the bar fridge in the laundry which is outside the back door
We had a prowler the other night and had gang graffiti left on the garage and my Gardena hose wand stolen off the end of the hose and we are 99% sure it was the neighbours on that side
now we have a plumbing problem under the bathroom sink - we had to turn the water off last night and fill the bath up for water. Gary can fix it but he still can't see well and now he has verticgo - we dont have lights in the garage and can't see the box with the plumbing things in
I pretty much can't take much more

But im going to make a chocolate cake i saw online that is make with 1/3 cup of olive oil and i can sub in 1x cup of wholemeal flour - thats all i could get and ive never used it before but it tasted ok in this morning's pancakes because im running low on normal flour
i read you can substitute a 1/3 and sift it a few times and add a tiny bit more liquid

I know there are people doing it so much worse than me with so many people loosing their jobs and also people are getting sick and people i know (overseas) are starting to loose family members to the virus

Maybe chocolate cake will cheer me up
but its not 70% dark cocoa or anything fancy like the recepie wanted
I'll be just using the stuff from the box that shifted with us 2 years ago

Aww Daisy I hate that you’re experiencing such difficulties. I want to feed you lots of delicious and good food. I bet that chocolate cake you bake will be yummy. (((Hugs))).

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm so far (2 weeks in) I haven't gained any weight.:pray: I'm attempting to keep up with my intermittent fasting but it's tough when the fridge is literally 3 feet from my desk (working at dining table in apartment). It's getting colder here & has rained the past few days so I'm craving warm comfort foods like hot porridge with cream & brown sugar.... I do have plenty of healthy stuff in the house so no excuses really! I still go for a power walk each day for about an hour. I think if this goes on for months, then I probably will gain a little but hopefully not much.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww Daisy I hate that you’re experiencing such difficulties. I want to feed you lots of delicious and good food. I bet that chocolate cake you bake will be yummy. (((Hugs))).

Thank you missy
im just having one of those days
we'll all get through this together (but apart) somehow
When im working again im going to make a point of shopping at that neughbourhod supermarket at least once a week because they have been doing a wonderful service and some people have not been so nice to them - and all they have ever been out of is flour for goodness sake

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@1ofakind Get some gel toe separators. They cured my chronic plantar fasciitis. My remicade infusions help too, but it was the toe separators that went the extra mile and allowed me to be able to wear some different shoes as well. I got mine on Amazon and now I only have to use them occasionally.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some days I stress eat and then have to eat less the next day. One night I ate three bowls of cereal. It was yummy. I put a note on the fridge to remind me not to stress eat. Weight is stable.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a freezer full of meals to last about a month. I cook on the weekend multiple meals and then seal them in the food saver. At night we pull out what we feel like. ( each meal is single serving size) Boil in the bag about 10 min and ready to eat! We used to eat out most nights a week. I’m staying about the same but I have bored hunger pangs all day.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Eating homemade food is making me again weight, because I cannot share my food with others anymore, I'm a stress eater, and with working 110% at a full time job and then going home to WFH on side gigs, without the ability to hit up group exercise classes... All this is reversing my weight loss success from last year.

FYI this is my sleep. I'm lucky I'm a deep sleeper when I do sleep, or my life would be worse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200402-183529.png
    Screenshot_20200402-183529.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 29

elizat

Ideal_Rock
We have two bananas past their prime so I will make banana bread tomorrow or Saturday. I hardly ever bake.

I feel like I am working more. I worked at home one to three days a week before, but I feel tons of pressure to bill more hours. So, I have not actually had anymore time than normal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results