shape
carat
color
clarity

How are the numbers on this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jkc350z

Rough_Rock
Depth: 59.3%
Table: 58%
Crown: 14%
Pavillion: 43%

Cut: Ideal round
Color: G
Clarity: Si1
Polish: Ex
Sym: Ex
Fluoro: none

I took a look at the stone and it looks great, but does have some very very small carbon spots that are even hard to see under 10x.

This is an EGL stone, and I compared it to other GIA stones...its more like an H/ low H.

I know percentages aren''t ideal, but just with what numbers I have....how do you think this stone will perform?

Thanks everyone!

jkc350z

Rough_Rock
oh yah...it was rated 0.7 on the HCA

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi and welcome!

Have you seen the diamond in person and do you know which EGL lab graded it such as EGL USA, Antwerp, Israel etc? This is important to know. It has potential.

Also the only recognized use of the term Ideal Cut relates to AGS 0 Ideal, so the term Ideal Cut does not always guarantee you a well cut diamond if used elsewhere.

jkc350z

Rough_Rock
I beleive it is an EGL Israel, but the price is right and the stone looks great...im just not "mind-clean" yet lol

Thanks for the welcome!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 11:48:58 AM
Author: jkc350z
I beleive it is an EGL Israel, but the price is right and the stone looks great...im just not 'mind-clean' yet lol

Thanks for the welcome!
Glad to have you here! I would take it you have read up on the EGL labs and how they are believed to be soft on grading in some circumstances? If you really love this diamond and don't want to look at any GIA or AGS graded diamonds, then I would recommend you make the sale final ( and get it in writing) that the diamond checks out to your satisfaction in all aspects with an independant appraisal,

Here is a tool you can use to find an appraiser in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Also as it is graded SI1, check very carefully that it is eyeclean to your standards, if possible look at it away from any store lighting as this can be deceptive.

What is the carat weight of the diamond also please?

jkc350z

Rough_Rock
I truly appreciate your assistance.

The stone is 2.14 ct.

jkc350z

Rough_Rock
do the numbers/specs add up to a theoretically good performing stone?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 12:16:17 PM
do the numbers/specs add up to a theoretically good performing stone?
Yes, although percentages are not as accurate as angles ( EGL use percents), the proportions do have potential. That is a very nice size! If you do like the diamond and don't want to continue and look for GIA/ AGS graded diamonds, then definitely get that appraisal. You could see if you can find an appraiser who is skilled in evaluating cut quality, they might have tools such as ASET or Idealscope and a proportion scanner they can use which would give more info on the cut quality.

This page explains about ASET and Idealscope and their uses and benefits. You could also order an ASET scope and use it yourself, they are straightforward to use and very useful in judging the cut of a diamond.

http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=education-performance

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=23&ShowAdd=Y

And you are very welcome!
35.gif

jkc350z

Rough_Rock
I am so grateful for your help.

The diamond is a local broker now...had it send here. How do appraisals usually work? Do I have to put a down payment for the diamond in order to "borrow" it to take to the appraiser?

I am sorry this is my first major purchase.

Also, what are the cons of black carbon spots in the diamond....i know it is not preferred, but is it REALLY bad when the inclusions are small?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 1:22:25 PM
I am so grateful for your help.

The diamond is a local broker now...had it send here. How do appraisals usually work? Do I have to put a down payment for the diamond in order to 'borrow' it to take to the appraiser?

I am sorry this is my first major purchase.

Also, what are the cons of black carbon spots in the diamond....i know it is not preferred, but is it REALLY bad when the inclusions are small?
Please don't apologize, I am very glad to be of help to you!

As to the appraisal process, this article should be very useful -

https://www.pricescope.com/appraiser.asp

Concerning sending it to an appraiser you will need to speak to the dealer that this is how you wish to proceed and the logistics and get the details in writing. It might be best to use a credit card for any deposit or making the purchase if the diamond checks out.

Dark inclusions - as long as they are not eye visible to you in any lighting, from any angle at close scrutiny then that is the important thing and in my opinion these are not bad at all. I know some buyers are insistent on not having any dark inclusions but if they aren't visible to the naked eye they don't bother me at all! One of my diamonds has some dark inclusions which are very apparent under magnification but I can not see them with the naked eye.

Also I forgot to mention a very important piece of info I needed earlier ( I was in between Pscoping and cooking dinner!!) can you post the diameter measurement of the diamond please and the girdle thickness? These will be on the EGL report.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Ideal" used by dishonest folks could be a rather dangerous term, but when used with reasonable caution by honest experts it gives one a good idea that the diamond is going to be a very pretty one with virtually no faults in cutting. AGS does not own the rights to using this word although anyone might lay claim to any number of rights which a court would find unenforceable. I wouldn''t want to prove a point by claiming a prior right to use the word, but I do use it accurately, with some degree of frequency, and not just in regard to AGS graded diamonds.

Probably "Ideal" is not the best term to use anyway. Ideal implies a superlative individual type of shaping which gives the very best result when we all now know that there are several versions of what humans judge to look the best and what machines compute or judge to perform the best. I prefer the use of the term "Superior" which means a diamond is one of a rather large group of those which perform and measure up to a very high level, none of which are better than any other in total quality. Maybe some folks figure Ideal means the same, and I suppose I can live with that just as well. There is no one diamond fashioned better than all others. There are many varieties fashioned at the best level. This is why you need to look with your eyes after you screen out the ones that can''t be at the top. Then you can select the one or two which you prefer. They may all look great, but there will be slight variances that lead different people to select different stones.

This is splitting hairs, but it is what appraisers do. We enjoy it or we''d find other work. Thank you all for indulging my weaknesses.

jkc350z

Rough_Rock
I will be getting the diamond saturday and taking it to get an appraisal, but my local appraiser does not have access to Sarin or idealscope.

Do you think I should buy my own idealscope even tho I know the proportions are pretty good ( I know angles are better)?

jkc350z

Rough_Rock
oh yah....the stone is 8.43 - 8.32 x 4.97 mm with a medium faceted girdle.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 6:00:27 PM
I will be getting the diamond saturday and taking it to get an appraisal, but my local appraiser does not have access to Sarin or idealscope.

Do you think I should buy my own idealscope even tho I know the proportions are pretty good ( I know angles are better)?
That sounds fine, you could certainly purchase an Idealscope as it would be useful if you really wanted to get a better idea of how this diamond handles light - it depends on how far you want to get into the nuts and bolts of this diamond and its purchase. The diameter shows a bit more variance than I personally like to see but the diamond has good proportions so I wouldn't consider it a dealbreaker at this stage. See what the appraiser thinks.

jkc350z

Rough_Rock
So I had the stone appraised.... everything was spot on except the color and clarity (as to be expected with EGL).

Turns out it is more of an SI2, not SI1, but the inclusions are on the outer edges of the stone.

The color is also more of an H/I, but the stone faces up as white as can be.

I decided to purchase the stone even though it might not be the "perfect" stone, it was perfect for what I was looking for.

I purchased it for $11,600. My appraiser found it to be a good value for this individual stone. She had the most recent industry prices and was also shocked to find that the prices of SI1/SI2's have shot up in value relative to other specs. She gets upgraded pricing sheets every two weeks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2009 6:07:10 PM
So I had the stone appraised.... everything was spot on except the color and clarity (as to be expected with EGL).

Turns out it is more of an SI2, not SI1, but the inclusions are on the outer edges of the stone.

The color is also more of an H/I, but the stone faces up as white as can be.

I decided to purchase the stone even though it might not be the ''perfect'' stone, it was perfect for what I was looking for.

I purchased it for $11,600. My appraiser found it to be a good value for this individual stone. She had the most recent industry prices and was also shocked to find that the prices of SI1/SI2''s have shot up in value relative to other specs. She gets upgraded pricing sheets every two weeks.
Congrats!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results