shape
carat
color
clarity

How accurate is the cut advisor tool?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

parkerj

Shiny_Rock
After deciding on a setting, I called an online vendor (highly recommended here) and started talking stones. She recommended a particular RB, and gave me the table, depth, etc. I plugged these numbers into the cutadvisor - while I was on the phone with her- and the cut advisor said "good only if price is main concern" or something to that effect. She asked me if I was interested, and I said "not really". When she asked me why not, I told her that I had a little calculator that helps determine a diamond''s performance. She was irritated and told me that SHE was my diamond advisor and would NEVER steer me toward a less than brilliant diamond. I gotta think that numbers tell it like it is....

What is more important, the GIA cert and cut advisor rating OR the recommendation from a diamond advisor?

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
The cut advisor tool should only be used to rule out stones. If your result was over 2, than it is probably not performing up to GIA and AGS's cut standards, which usually shows that it's probably leaking light somewhere, or that the angles are off and you aren't going to get the most brilliance possible.

The most important tool that you can use is your own eyes. If I were you I'd go in to a store and see for yourself the difference between an ideal cut stone and a "regular" stone. You can tell which stones are the "ideal" ones by the fancy name and huge premium on them.

Hope that helps. :)

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
P.S. If it's a highly recommended vendor here, then she probably knows what the cut advisor tool is, and she may be able to explain to you why it scored so poorly.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2007 9:05:23 PM
Author:parkerj
After deciding on a setting, I called an online vendor (highly recommended here) and started talking stones. She recommended a particular RB, and gave me the table, depth, etc. I plugged these numbers into the cutadvisor - while I was on the phone with her- and the cut advisor said ''good only if price is main concern'' or something to that effect. She asked me if I was interested, and I said ''not really''. When she asked me why not, I told her that I had a little calculator that helps determine a diamond''s performance. She was irritated and told me that SHE was my diamond advisor and would NEVER steer me toward a less than brilliant diamond. I gotta think that numbers tell it like it is....

What is more important, the GIA cert and cut advisor rating OR the recommendation from a diamond advisor?
With that analysis from the HCA, I''d pass. It''s not the be all end all, but it does help sometimes.

Do you recall the specs by chance?

parkerj

Shiny_Rock
I don''t remember what the specs were exactly. I just remember that it was the lowest score of any of the stones I''d seen and it shocked me. The table was really big - like 59- and the depth was too.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2007 9:32:59 PM
Author: parkerj
I don''t remember what the specs were exactly. I just remember that it was the lowest score of any of the stones I''d seen and it shocked me. The table was really big - like 59- and the depth was too.
Sounds like it was good to pass then.

parkerj

Shiny_Rock
strange that the "diamond advisor" would believe this would be a great stone for me! Hmm.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/26/2007 10:07:45 PM
strange that the ''diamond advisor'' would believe this would be a great stone for me! Hmm.
Maybe you need a different advisor.
9.gif

Or, tell them exactly what it is you DO want, so they are not wasting their time or yours.
28.gif

parkerj

Shiny_Rock
Maybe I''ll post on HERE what I am looking for. You all are unbiased and great searchers!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure, post away!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A sales advisor who can actually see the stone and who can communicate well with you is definitely a handy thing and if she hasn’t established her own credibility with you then she’s skipped an important step. She needs to convince you of the merits of the store and of her own opinions because without that her pitch is meaningless. That said, make sure she knows that one of your criteria is that you want a stone that scores well with on the HCA. If she’s never heard of it, send her a link and let her read up on it. It’s not especially well known beyond the Pricescope circles. If she doesn’t know your criteria, you can’t really pick on her for not meeting them. At the same time, if she can’t or won’t get you what you want and she can’t convince you that her advice is worthwhile, move on to a different supplier. This is a stunningly competitive business and there are lots of dealers who would love the opportunity to explain to you why you should be buying from THEM. Sometimes specific customers and jewelers just don’t “click” together.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

parkerj

Shiny_Rock
This was a "virtual" stone she was suggesting by the numbers. That''s why I was so reluctant to be interested after using the HCA tool. From what I understand, if they send you a stone that they believe is a good fit for what you are looking for and you decide that it isn''t the one, there is a restocking fee. I didn''t want her to go to the trouble to get this virtual stone in the store if the numbers didn''t even line up.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2007 8:16:06 AM
This was a ''virtual'' stone she was suggesting by the numbers. That''s why I was so reluctant to be interested after using the HCA tool. From what I understand, if they send you a stone that they believe is a good fit for what you are looking for and you decide that it isn''t the one, there is a restocking fee. I didn''t want her to go to the trouble to get this virtual stone in the store if the numbers didn''t even line up.
Then don''t do it. I''d rather be super picky up front and call in a virtual stone that hits all the numbers in the sweet spot or purchase an in-house stone.

parkerj

Shiny_Rock
That''s what I thought, Chrono! I''d rather know upfront that this stone is probably the "one" from the numbers before I have them send it! I hope the "diamond advisor" understands that rather than thinking I''m just being difficult.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this DA is being too difficult (not meshing with you), can you request for a different SA or work with a different vendor?

parkerj

Shiny_Rock
She told me that what I was looking for would take a while to find. I told her I was in no hurry--this is for an upgrade, so there''s not any time line at all. I told her that if it takes 6 mo. or a year, then I was OK with that. She sounded a little irritated imagining looking for stones for that long, and I got the impression that she thought I was being too picky. She was very pleasant, I don''t mean to sound she was b*tchy or anything, she just could tell that this was going to take some effort and wouldn''t be a quick sale.

Who are your favorite online vendors? Maybe I''ll keep my options open to shopping with another vendor....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoyed working with
WF: Bob Hoskins
Wink at Winkjones
JamesAllen (forgot the SA''s name - sorry JA)
GOG

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
I worked with John and then Brian Gavin at WF to pick an ACA. I was very plesed with their expertise and patience!! I now have a beautiful ACA
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve worked with

Lesley at WF

Jon at GOG

Pete at Quest (although I didn''t buy a diamond there, but got outstanding service)

In the future, I wouldn''t hesitate to work with

JA

ERD

Wink

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
After deciding on a setting, I called an online vendor (highly recommended here) and started talking stones. She recommended a particular RB, and gave me the table, depth, etc. I plugged these numbers into the cutadvisor - while I was on the phone with her- and the cut advisor said ''good only if price is main concern'' or something to that effect. She asked me if I was interested, and I said ''not really''. When she asked me why not, I told her that I had a little calculator that helps determine a diamond''s performance. She was irritated and told me that SHE was my diamond advisor and would NEVER steer me toward a less than brilliant diamond. I gotta think that numbers tell it like it is....

First, I would get rid of the DIAMOND ADVISOR!!! It is YOUR MONEY, not hers. Who is she to get irritated with the customer!!!???

I worked with Brian and Lesley at WhiteFlash and it was without a doubt the best jewelry buying experience they we have ever had. Brian was so patience, because he knows what he is offering you and he wants you to be happy with your diamond purchase.

Simply put, you cant go wrong with an ACA diamond!!!!

We love ours,
MWG

Also, there are great vendors on Pricescope. Just read and you find them.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
After deciding on a setting, I called an online vendor (highly recommended here)....
Spill....

parkerj

Shiny_Rock
Well, today she called and told me that she had put the numbers in wrong and that I was right- it probably wasn''t a great performing diamond. I don''t really know much about diamonds, but I''m learning. That''s why I used the HCA to help. I''d rather not say who it was because she was very pleasant, just I think she got a little offended when a stone that she recommended I said "no thank you" to. I don''t want a misunderstanding to taint anyone else''s view of this company or this person. Maybe she thought I was trying to be a know-it-all. I''m just trying to be an informed shopper....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/27/2007 2:51:09 PM
Well, today she called and told me that she had put the numbers in wrong and that I was right- it probably wasn''t a great performing diamond. I don''t really know much about diamonds, but I''m learning. That''s why I used the HCA to help. I''d rather not say who it was because she was very pleasant, just I think she got a little offended when a stone that she recommended I said ''no thank you'' to. I don''t want a misunderstanding to taint anyone else''s view of this company or this person. Maybe she thought I was trying to be a know-it-all. I''m just trying to be an informed shopper....
That''s really strange. The vendors usually know their stones (best angles combos) without having to use the HCA.

parkerj

Shiny_Rock
I think she got the angles mixed up or something...
20.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/27/2007 3:13:14 PM
I think she got the angles mixed up or something...
20.gif
If she got them wrong, how did you get them right? And you must have, as she agreed with you....

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
I still say get a NEW ADVISOR!!!!

MWG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results