shape
carat
color
clarity

How about this stone? Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

quinner73

Rough_Rock
The boyfriend and I went looking at settings over the weekend with the idea that he''d know what I like and be able to do the rest on his own. Well of course we found the perfect setting and at that point had sucker painted on our foreheads. The salesperson showed us some diamonds and we found the following:

Round, 2A cut
Color: G
Clarity: I (my sticking point)
Ct: 1.3
$5735

I looked at the stone under a microscope and there are many small white blemishes but, to me, it was eye clean. I just don''t know how comfortable I feel about the whole I clarity grade and there is one horizontal feather near the girdle but they said that they''d try to set it so that that is covered by the prong. My instinct is telling me that the price is rather high for an I clarity stone, even for 1.3 ct.

Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry that I don''t have a photo or the cert.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Is it I 1, 2 or 3??? Either way, its price should be one half of your quoted price.
1.gif

quinner73

Rough_Rock
Sorry, it's I1 and I thought that price was way high. I helped my sis buy her engagement ring and diamond. They have an H, similar cut but a VS2 clarity. Back to the drawing board and thanks for saving us from wasting all that money. I don't mind the stone, just the getting ripped off potential.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
If it were me, I would avoid that stone. I think you can do a lot better in your price range. Have you checked for stones on the home page of this site? That will give you an idea of what you can get. If you drop your color to an H, you can bump your clarity to a VS2 or SI1 and still be in your price range -- if you go to a 1.2 with these specs, you'd be in your range even with an H&A stone...

Have you considered buying the stone online, and then taking it to that jeweler to get that setting that you fell in love with?

Good luck!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
A feather near the edge would require further investigation. I would want magnified pics to be sure the feather does not break the surface of the crown, pavillion, or the girdle.

As Giangi note, the price is probably high. As an example, clarity costs much more than color. I just got a 1.26 carat, J, VS2, Super Ideal Hearts and Arrows A Cut Above diamond from White Flash that didn't cost as much as the price you were quoted. My diamond has wwaaaayyy better Cut and clarity for less dollars. You can do better on price, cut quality, and clarity by learning about diamonds and being a saavy shopper.
1.gif

quinner73

Rough_Rock
I just got caught up in the moment. Glad that we put a refundable 10 day hold on the diamond and took a cooling off period. I'm going to look for a smaller 1.0 - 1.15 stone with a higher clarity grading.

Thanks so much for the advice. I just needed independent confirmation that my worries were well founded. I've been watching this site and reading the threads for awhile so I knew there'd be good advice here.

Thanks again!
loopy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results