shape
carat
color
clarity

How about this rock? I'm going cross-eyed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
Please let me know what you think of this stone. I found it at Diamonds-USA.com. The main two things I am concerned with are the fact that it is EGL certified, and that its polish is listed as only good. Let me know what you think. They want $5,203.80 for it.

1.18 ct, Round Brilliant, VS1, H
6.79 - 6.74 X 4.21MM
Total Depth: 62.2
Table Width: 56%
Crown Height: 15%
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Girdle Thickness: Thin/Faceted
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

Also listed at a Tolkowsky Ideal Cut and AGS0

Go here to look at the report:
http://www.diamonds-usa.com/ShowReportEGL.asp?id=941

Thanks,

Muddy
:loopy:

2797.jpg

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Ask for a Sarin report and post the crown and pavilion angles here. I would be concerned with the EGL report too.

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. I requested a Sarin report, but what about polish? I've never seen anyone rally refer to this attribute...

Eric:confused:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Good polish is ok. Even the experts would have a difficult time telling the difference between excellent and good polish with the naked eye.

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
Well, if the speed at which Diamonds-USA.com got back to me with a Sarin report is any indication, they seem OK to deal with.

The Sarin results are:
Depth 62.3%
Crown 34.6Deg ---15.4%
Pavil 41.0Deg ---43.3%
Table 3.75mm --55.4%
Culet 0.7%
Girdle 1.2% Average

These numbers gave me a 1.7 on the cut advisor. How does that seem for the price? Am I missing some better deals out there? Is this diamond going to have the flash and pop that I am looking for? I have really thought that some of the H&A's that I've looked at were very beautiful, and others so-so. Am I going to get the kind of fire I like from this diamond? Can you tell by looking at these numbers? Can I possibly ask any more questions???

Thanks,

Eric
:confused:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
This diamond should have a good balance of brilliance and fire. As for price, it's a bit hard to say with the EGL cert. If the grading is generous as EGL can often be, you may want to compare prices to the same size and cut quality of GIA or AGS I or J, VS2 or SI1s.

You can ask the vendor to have a diamond sent to GIA. You can make the arrangement that if the diamond comes back with the same grades, you will pay the dealer's cost for sending off the diamond. If the diamond comes back with lower grades, you can decide if you still want the stone and can negotiate an appropriate price. This may be difficult to have done if the dealer doesn't own the stone.

Another option is to see if the dealer will send the unmounted stone to a good independent appraiser before you pay for the diamond or pay for the diamond if there is a good return policy which also allows you time to have the diamond evaluated and returned if you don't want to keep it.

You are probably getting what you are paying for.

Oh, you can ask as many questions as you like. :)

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Also, you may want to check out the search by visual performance on the pricescope home page and go down in size. There are some nice stones there (hearts and arrows) in that price range with excellent cut and GIA or AGS certs.

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
Is it possible for a diamond to score very well on the HCA and still look dull?

Eric

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
Ok, I'm sure I'm pushing my luck now, but what the hey... Judging only by this picture, does this diamond look like a SI1?

Eric:wavey:

2942.jpg

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
How about this one? :wink2:

3037.jpg

FionaH

Rough_Rock
Hi Muddy Boy

I bought an H colour SI2 stone from Diamonds-USA and was very disappointed with it. The certification was generous to say the least. Compared with other certified GIA stones, mine came out as J or K, and closer to I1 than SI2. It was yellow-tinted face up and that does not fit the criteria for an H colour stone. The price looked unbeatable for an HSI2, but not for a J/K I2.

The whole refund saga was a nightmare. These guys operate from Israel, not the US and all items are sent to Israel (and returned there).

Hope this helps:angryfire:

muddy guy

Rough_Rock
Wow. That doesn't sound good at all. What happened with the "refund saga"? How long did it take? Did you have the diamond appraised when you received it? Was this an EGL certified stone? I appreciate your feedback on Diamonds-USA.com...

Muddy_Guy :read:

FionaH

Rough_Rock
Hi Muddy Guy

Yes, I had it appraised by two separate jewellers and they both agreed - I posted the results in my previous response here.

It was an EGL stone - apparently the Israeli EGL lab is very generous with their grading.

Refund: The vendor didn't know how I should send the stone back to him. After 2 weeks he told me I had to send it back to Israel via the mail service. He said he would insure it as there is no registered mail service between the UK and Israel. It took nearly 3 weeks to get there (should have been 5 - 7 days) and we thought it had ben lost/ stolen. The vendor wouldn't consider giving me my refund at this stage, even though I had proof of sending and he was insured. I had the feeling that it might take some weeks/months until I got it.

Anyway, after he finally received the stone, even though I had paid by wire transfer, he refused to refund me the same way and sent a cheque instead. This caused extra incovenience and cost.

Before I bought it, I asked them to get me a GIA cert on the stone and they refused - claiming EGL was just as good. I should have realised it didn't sound good at this stage. I was particularly annoyed with the quality of stone I received because I had had a lengthy discussion with their gemmologist (I think he is also the owner) about how I definateley didn't want to see any hint of yellow in the stone. He assured me it was a very good "H" and looked white.

So,in summary, I would not recommend them. In the end I went to Abazias and got a GIA stone.Excellent price, spot-on customer service, and beautiful stone.

If a deal looks too good to be true - it probably is!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :))

scramjz

Rough_Rock
I can get you a VS1 color H, 1.20 ct with gia certificate for $5000 shipping included. Let me know by email [email protected]

41diamond.jpg

ChetLaura

Rough_Rock
Hi! Just curious - are you an online vendor? Do you have a web site? What is the sarin on the 1.2 diamond?
:confused:

Thanks!
:))

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results