shape
carat
color
clarity

How about this diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blackbird

Rough_Rock
I have located a loose diamond that seems to be "it" for an engagement ring:

Round, VVS1, ideal, 1.53 cts, G, depth 61, table 57, girdle-medium & faceted, no culet, polish EX, Symmetry VG, no florescence. GIA stone.

This seems like a high quality diamond that will look great.

1) Any concerns about the girdle as far as mounting?
2) Why am i getting such a good deal on this stone vs other comps when just the color goes from G to F/E? Does the market really value color that much (+$2000 from pricescope)? Not that this is "cheap", it is a >$10000 stone.
3) Crown and Pavillion info is not available on the GIA cert. Any problem there?
4) Should I improve color by accepting a stone with great inclusions, all else being about the same?

I realize alot of this is subjective, but would like to hear some opinions before shelling out the cash. Thanks again ahead of time
Blackbird:))

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/12/2002 3:39:36 PM

I have located a loose diamond that seems to be "it" for an engagement ring:

Round, VVS1, ideal, 1.53 cts, G, depth 61, table 57, girdle-medium & faceted, no culet, polish EX, Symmetry VG, no florescence. GIA stone.

This seems like a high quality diamond that will look great.

1) Any concerns about the girdle as far as mounting?
2) Why am i getting such a good deal on this stone vs other comps when just the color goes from G to F/E? Does the market really value color that much (+$2000 from pricescope)? Not that this is "cheap", it is a >$10000 stone.
3) Crown and Pavillion info is not available on the GIA cert. Any problem there?
4) Should I improve color by accepting a stone with great inclusions, all else being about the same?

I realize alot of this is subjective, but would like to hear some opinions before shelling out the cash. Thanks again ahead of time
Blackbird:))
----------------

Hi :wavey:

I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1) No concerns about the girdle;
2) There are big price jumps for higher color, but I don't know if that is the only reason you are seeing for the differences you are seeing in the price comparisons;
3) It would be a good idea to ask the seller for a Sarin report so you can get all of the diamond's measurements. Then you can use the cut adviser on this site to get an idea of how the diamond will perform;
4) All else being the same (and we know the cut looks good, but we don't know just how good without the crown and pavilion angles), I would go for a better color in trade for a drop in clarity. Perhaps to an F VS1 or VS2. G is still a fine color, but I don't see any reason to pay for VVS1.

You really need some more information about the diamond's cut before you know what you're buying.

:)

Blackbird

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice ... I also noticed that the GIA certificate is dated last quarter, year 2000. That makes me wonder if it has been perceived as not being a good buy. As you stated however, w/o a Sarin report, it's all conjecture.

Blackbird :sun:

Blackbird

Rough_Rock
OK, I took your advice and I ended up with this: 1.51 cts, F, VS1 Depth 61%, Table 57%, medium faceted girdle, no culet, pol/sym EX/EX, no florescence.

Looks pretty good. Admittedly, the price went up a little from before, but i believe I am getting something from it. The GIA is a bit more recent as well.

I am requesting a Sarin report. Do most dealers do that gratis, or is there a charge involved?

OK .... opinion? Thanks again ahead of time

Blackbird :))

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you should have to pay for a Sarin report. Who is the seller? The diamond looks like a winner so far, but the Sarin will be more telling. The other way to save some money is to drop just below the 1.5 carat mark where prices jump. Definitely buy beauty and not price, though since you have a generous budget.

Keep us posted. :)

Blackbird

Rough_Rock
The seller is Abazias. You have increased my education again! There certainly seems to be a step in price (and in number) of rocks once the 1.5 ct threshold is breached. More decisions, but this is fun. :twirl:

Blackbird

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 4/13/2002 12:33:44 PM

The seller is Abazias. You have increased my education again! There certainly seems to be a step in price (and in number) of rocks once the 1.5 ct threshold is breached. More decisions, but this is fun. :twirl:

Blackbird
----------------

I'm glad you're having fun! That's how diamond shopping should be. :)

Blackbird

Rough_Rock
OK, another dilemma

Take this nice rock (for example)
1.51 cts, F, VS1 Depth 61%, Table 57%, medium faceted girdle, no culet, pol/sym EX/EX, no florescence

Put it on a platinum setting with two .35 ct trillion diamonds (color G/H) on either side. Is there enough of a difference in color that the F rock will make the smaller trillions look bad .... or will the differences be too subtle to notice ... or the main rock will look so nice, that attention is not much given to the rest of the setting.

I think I believe the latter but would love some opinions!

Blackbird

PS I guess jewelers take the weekend off .... imagine that!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results