shape
carat
color
clarity

houston, i''m landing, need a ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wildblueyonder

Rough_Rock
Hi folks-

I''ve been reading everything I possibly could on this site, and really appreciate the knowledge shared for guys like me who had a vague idea of 4c''s before, but who now are savvy customers. The basics - I live overseas, the potential future Mrs. is in the same country, and we''ve been heading down that joyous road to marriage for several months now. I was figuring that I needed to meet her family before I proposed, as well as get a ring. All of a sudden an opportunity came up for both of us to travel back to america together, to meet her parents and friends. Her family lives in Houston. As I was reading this site, what is one of the big names in diamonds and engagement rings? Whiteflash in houston. This seemed like a perfect fit.

So I''m flying in to houston the 17th of february and leaving the 26th. I wouldn''t need to propose while there, in fact, not planning on it. I just emailed whiteflash to ask some basic questions about when I could some see some diamonds, and questions about settings and customization. I''m not stuck on them, but they seem to be top of the class. Here are some questions for the collective knowledge of the forum:

Who else is out there (probably in houston, or who could ship quickly)?

Is is feasible to get either a custom ring made or an existing setting customized in time to also get a stone set in it and appraised?

What is the time it would take to get a diamond appraised, set, and appraised again (and is all this appraisal necessary)?

Who knows some places/ people in houston who are trusted appraisers? How much do they cost?

Could I buy insurance in houston, and how much does THAT cost?

As you might tell, I''m on a budget, and not rolling around in cash. However, I plan to get the nicest diamond I can afford, and put it in a very special setting that she will love, that means something to her.

Lastly, this whole operation will be a surprise. I have to do all this - the diamond selection and purchase, setting selection and purchase, appraisal, insurance (am I missing anything) without her getting suspicious. Any ideas?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome
35.gif
You are very lucky to be able to go to WF, they are a class act and I am sure if you explain the urgency and your time constraints they will do all they can to help you out. They have their good name here deservedly and I am sure they will be your best bet to not only find an incredibly beautiful and fab cut diamond but just the right setting to showcase it in. I don't think you can go wrong with them, talk to them about your concerns and I am sure they will do everything they can to accomodate you. As to the insurance, I am assuming you are English as you refer to the Mrs - could be wrong though
11.gif
you may be able to insure with Jewelers Mutual or Chubb while in the States, but may have to look at using a company from your own country for the longer term, your country of residence for either yourself or your GF, whoever has the ring. WF might be able to advise you here too as well as the appraisal query. Good luck!

ETA - my great friend Mini Mouse purchased from Whiteflash under similar time restraints, I will see if she can provide some input and advice.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to Pricescope! Lorelei is so right, you are VERY LUCKY to be able to visit Whiteflash in person. It makes an enormous difference. We would have liked to visit, but we were travelling from Saudi Arabia to Seattle, which is nowhere near Houston. Because we were not sure how color sensitive we were or really what clarity would suit us, we had to play safe with a D color VS2 stone, but I''m sure we would have come down in color and clarity had we seen stones in person. You are in that wonderful position where you can visit and decide, according to what your eye likes. You can read my story here: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/heartfelt-thanks-to-whiteflash.34513/=
and I hope it will give you an insight into how impossible our time frame seemed to be, but how well Whiteflash managed to accommodate us. You know, I have to laugh when I remember Lesley e-mailing back and forth whilst I was sitting in the airline lounges at the airports enroute to the States! She was really good and through that communication, we managed to settle on choosing a diamond to send to our chosen appraiser in Seattle.

First off, arrange an appointment with Whiteflash for as soon as you arrive in Houston. Although you plan the ring as a surprise, I have to say that my fondest memory of my engagement ring, was actually going to the appraiser to actually choose a diamond (in your case you would be going straight to Whiteflash). Imagine how much your girlfriend would enjoy the experience and the tutorials that WF give? It was so wonderful to be the one to pick a stone for my ring. Then, to work out a setting and wait for it all to arrive from Whiteflash, I have to say I''m glad I didn''t have a surprise ring, I loved every minute of creating it together. My boyfriend (now husband), then chose his own timing to actually propose, so the actual proposal was still a surprise to me. The good news is that if you''re actually at Whiteflash, they can show you settings that they can create and I''m sure you''ll find something to your liking. If you e-mail them pictures of designs you like, they will know what to show you. Whether they can actually do a complete custom job in your timeframe, I''m not sure, but why not ask, I wouldn''t be surprised if they could, if it''s a simple and not too intricate setting. They did what I thought was impossible for me. They turned around my wedding set in 7 days. ASK and you probably will get!

If you look under Resources at the top of the Pricescope page, you will get a list of appraisers who you can contact and find out their rates. I have experienced two in Seattle who were wonderful to deal with. One appraiser we used saw us within a day, because we wanted to take our rings to Mexico with us.

Sorry to waffle on a bit, but I''m just heading off home from work and need to go. If you have any further questions, just ask. I''ll check back. I personally am very jealous that you''re managing to go to Whiteflash in person... I''d love to visit them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great advice Mini, thanks!
36.gif

wildblueyonder

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the great replies. To elaborate:

"...I am assuming you are English as you refer to the Mrs..."

Just for the record, regular ol'' ''merican.

For insurance, would Jeweler''s Mutual or Chubb have offices in Houston? Or can you buy insurance through a jewelers, appraiser, or any licensed insurance agent?

Also, I went to the appraisers page, and for texas, there are only two listed, both in Dallas. I suppose the stone, and possibly the set stone could be shipped there, however, with my time crunch, I wonder if there isn''t an appraiser or two there in houston.

Last question for now - from what I''ve read, I need to have the stone appraised loose, but then do I need to have it appraised after it has been set as well?

The question of surprise vs. bringing my intended along to be part of the process is still open - I appreciate the feedback. I still like the idea of doing all my homework, flexing whatever financial muscle I''ve got, coordinating all the logistics, and then amazing her with an incredible e-ring - fireworks, the choir sings the hallelujah chorus, a heavenly light shines down on us, and the sheer romanticism of the thing knocks people off their feet for a half-mile around!
9.gif
But we''ll see, just trying to get away from her while in the city to do all that needs doing might be pushing it...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try the Jewelers Mutual and Chubb websites for locations, regarding an appraiser in Houston WF should be able to tell you if there is one there. It is usual to have the unset diamond appraised as once it is mounted it does not permit a thorough and accurate exam. One of our members John Quixote works for Whiteflash, he may be able to help you further, but I think your best bet is to email or call WF and ask them re - the appraiser and what they can do for you, I am sure they can give you the answers you need. Good luck!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
I have been pleased with the my pieces from the Houston Gold Exchange in houston -- corner of Dairy Ashford and Westheimer. They have all the sarin equipment and everything. very nice non pushy staff

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2006 9:50:49 AM
Author: wildblueyonder

The question of surprise vs. bringing my intended along to be part of the process is still open

Surprised are hard ... sure there is so much more about getting engaged than the ring, and it may well be that anything will do. But for some personal choices are important... and you are the only one here who knows the final user
2.gif

One way to have both the surprise and some flexibility is presenting the diamond in a temporary setting (think less than $100) and letting the girl choose afterwards.

thegreattriscuit

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/1/2006 8:58:00 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 2/1/2006 9:50:49 AM
Author: wildblueyonder

The question of surprise vs. bringing my intended along to be part of the process is still open

Surprised are hard ... sure there is so much more about getting engaged than the ring, and it may well be that anything will do. But for some personal choices are important... and you are the only one here who knows the final user
2.gif

One way to have both the surprise and some flexibility is presenting the diamond in a temporary setting (think less than $100) and letting the girl choose afterwards.
heh... I hope that''s a good way to go... as that''s what I''m planning to do ;-)

probably in the >$100 range though, because she stands a high probability of either A) being genuinely content with the solitare setting I get, at least for a good five years or so, or B) SAYING she''s content, and it taking me five years to actually drag it out of her that she''s not. :)

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
We had the diamond checked out by an appraiser in Seattle whilst we were looking at whether to buy it or not. The stone was actually sent to him by Whiteflash, prior to us buying it. It''s like having it sent on approval. He checked it out there and then, after which we decided whether to buy it or not (there was no ''not'' about it, it was gorgeous). Your situation will be different because you''re lucky at being able to visit Whiteflash in person and check out more than one or two diamonds - I''m so jealous! We had the finished rings appraised as soon as we received them from Whiteflash. We had to get them appraised on completion because our insurance agent in Seattle needed an appraisal of the finished rings for insurance purposes.

ndnyhagen

Rough_Rock
WBY,
If you are in the service, I''m assuming that''s why you might be overseas, BIG assumption, I know, but you might give USAA in San Antonio a call. Not only do they offer military families all manner of banking and insurance products, but they can write up a PAF on your upcoming ring and get it insured for you. My experience with Personal Article Floaters and jewelry has been that the jeweler''s insurance rates aren''t nearly as competitive as USAA''s.
Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results