shape
carat
color
clarity

Houseplant thread

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm ashamed to say pinched stuff grows well for me. Karma must be taking her time. I'm shameless.

Good for you !
Beleave it or not im having trouble with an ice plant with a teeny tinny leaf that grows like a huge curtain i pick off a bank beside a railway bridge - i think its council's or maybe kiwi rail ??

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Good for you !
Beleave it or not im having trouble with an ice plant with a teeny tinny leaf that grows like a huge curtain i pick off a bank beside a railway bridge - i think its council's or maybe kiwi rail ??

Looks like a few more pinchings are in order :)

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I sold a few baby plants thru FB and so bought myself this peanut cactus the other day. 20210307_114159.jpg Lost mine last year to spider mite and neglect, then kicked myself as they're so rare here. Found this one at my local and did a double take. The loose segments somehow found their way into the pot I bought. Not sure how...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I sold a few baby plants thru FB and so bought myself this peanut cactus the other day. 20210307_114159.jpg Lost mine last year to spider mite and neglect, then kicked myself as they're so rare here. Found this one at my local and did a double take. The loose segments somehow found their way into the pot I bought. Not sure how...

I can't find one any where
They were a dime a dozen when i was growing up and i want one !
Enjoy !

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I can't find one any where
They were a dime a dozen when i was growing up and i want one !
Enjoy !

Are you on Facebook? I'm no expert but I joined a few houseplants groups. I'm selling my propagated babes that way and also swapping. I'll bet you'll find someone to send you a few fingers. If not, I'll send you a few in a decoy package come spring here. Got yer back!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing all the photos of your beautiful plant @Begonia.
I’m smitten with your string of turtles, each tiny leaf is perfection!
I think they are available here now, I’ll be looking out for one for sure.
I like plants that I can share cuttings and also enjoy trying to propagate so I have a back up should one die on me. I did that recently with my zebra plant, the original plant died but my propagated one is still going strong.
We have a local FB plant cutting share group which is awesome.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing all the photos of your beautiful plant @Begonia.
I’m smitten with your string of turtles, each tiny leaf is perfection!
I think they are available here now, I’ll be looking out for one for sure.
I like plants that I can share cuttings and also enjoy trying to propagate so I have a back up should one die on me. I did that recently with my zebra plant, the original plant died but my propagated one is still going strong.
We have a local FB plant cutting share group which is awesome.

You'll have to post some photos @Sparkles88!!! I do the same, have back ups :) (and back up of back ups LOL).

Right?? The little plant is just as pretty in person. It's new to me, so we shall see how fussy it is.

I've joined a few here as well. Not much sharing going on sadly, but I did make 1 friend, so that's nice.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Brasil and Rio Philodendren are towards the top as well. I have so many houseplants I don't even know how many

16151756352962149088832167833097.jpg

Yeah, I. Hear. You
Spring is just around the corner and all sorts of wonderful new varieties are arriving weekly. Millennial interest in houseplants has created a demand that has brought new stuff in. I'm delighted with what is becoming available!

Those are beauties too, and wonderfully grown! Well done :)

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Two of my aloe that I keep outside here all year long in the Pacific NW. This is them 20210310_101802.jpg before I repot, trim and they have their growth spurt. I'll post an after shot in maybe...3 months?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Bought 2 distressed streptocarpus. Sooooo rare in Western Canada. Had some years ago, and have been wanting to replace them. Not the colors I want but I took the sad little puppies. 20210314_103815.jpg

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
So this is my Rhipsalis pilocarpa: 20210317_190305.jpg
And here are the flowers: 20200712_123004.jpg
And in full bloom: 20200712_122752.jpg So here are the fruits, which are full of tiny black seeds: 20210317_190438.jpg

Which I'm now selling on FB. I've been plucking them off by the hundreds and composting, but found these last few still on the plant. Thought well why not? See if there's a market. Turns out there is. Who knew?

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So this is my Rhipsalis pilocarpa: 20210317_190305.jpg
And here are the flowers: 20200712_123004.jpg
And in full bloom: 20200712_122752.jpg So here are the fruits, which are full of tiny black seeds: 20210317_190438.jpg

Which I'm now selling on FB. I've been plucking them off by the hundreds and composting, but found these last few still on the plant. Thought well why not? See if there's a market. Turns out there is. Who knew?

What an usual plant, is it a type d succulent? I really like it though, I’m a fan of quirky plants.
That’s great that there’s a market for the seeds, maybe contributions to a future bling project? :dance:

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A few more of my houseplants.
The Happy Plant (Dracena Fragrans) or corn plant was bought from Gumtree, I think it’s similar to your Craig’slist. It was a sad specimen, just one long stem and leaves on the top. I decided to chop the top off and planted it in the same pot. I was so excited to see it sprout two new shoots after the big cut.
The Rhododendron has grown so big! It was about third of its size, my kids bought it for my birthday two years ago.
The Strelitzia is a newish addition :kiss2:

Attachments

• A61973A5-7620-479C-B9B0-8580DF0068D3.jpeg
    A61973A5-7620-479C-B9B0-8580DF0068D3.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 652948E0-52BD-4C9C-A616-24DA44B58446.jpeg
    652948E0-52BD-4C9C-A616-24DA44B58446.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 4D6FD61E-51BC-41FA-ACE1-528DCC6E4000.jpeg
    4D6FD61E-51BC-41FA-ACE1-528DCC6E4000.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 23

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
They're all looking so great, esp that Philo. Love me a philodendron! Strelitzia reginae or Nicolai? Orange or white flowers? Looks pretty big...Nicolai?
So exotic looking :)

DanerBananer

Rough_Rock
I love Philodendrens. They are the EASIEST plant to care for. You can bring them to the brink of death and back again. It is the FIRST plant I suggest to people who are new to house plants.

Yes! I usually recommend pothos and philodendren as well ;-)

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They're all looking so great, esp that Philo. Love me a philodendron! Strelitzia reginae or Nicolai? Orange or white flowers? Looks pretty big...Nicolai?
So exotic looking :)

I’m unsure which Strelitzia it is, I bought it from a seller that sold plants from her house, she used to have a market stall but due to Covid had to close up shop. There was no tag and I didn’t think to ask her. Hmm, regards to flowers, it hasn’t yet as I keep it indoors and not sure if it will actually flower.
I love the leaves too!
Are plants expensive in the US?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I’m unsure which Strelitzia it is, I bought it from a seller that sold plants from her house, she used to have a market stall but due to Covid had to close up shop. There was no tag and I didn’t think to ask her. Hmm, regards to flowers, it hasn’t yet as I keep it indoors and not sure if it will actually flower.
I love the leaves too!
Are plants expensive in the US?

The leaves look wide, like Nikolai (white flowers). No idea...I'm Canadian:)

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oops sorry, are plants considered expensive in Canada? :lol:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oops sorry, are plants considered expensive in Canada? :lol:

Well some are? Some places carry them inexpensively, like Walmart, Lowe's and Canadian Tire (big box stores). Nurseries and garden centres are pricier and may or may not carry interesting varieties. Lowe's is one of the best currently for bringing in American stock, which is usually more rare, although you have to repot quickly and they're often infested. We rush there anyway and will treat them best we can.

What is astonishing me currently are Canadian FB plant auctions. I'm new to these, and just today saw a rare, variegated philodendron with a starting bid of $2000. Last I checked, the bid had reached 10k. Most of this is for status, as opposed to the joy of growing (from what I can see).

Where do you hail from @Sparkle88?

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I just purchased a begonia 'Benigo' from Lowe's maybe a week ago? Was unheard of in Canada until a few years ago. The prices are excellent, but planted in sopping coconut coir and may or may not have pests. Still, I take the risk because, well, I'm begonia :) 20210324_183844.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results