shape
carat
color
clarity

House imperfection... would this bother you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Well, I sent my project manager an email asking for updates regarding the 3 issues I have in the backyard:

Issue 3: The Window Issue
- His reply:
"I know it is a bit of an eyesore but there is no good solution for the 1x6 trim at the back of the home. We have looked at it twice and he still assures me that the siding pieces would just break if he shot nails through them. I am not comfortable only putting one nail in the middle of those pieces and hoping that they stay on the home. That would work for a bit but eventually as the home settles and shifts, they would break loose if they were not properly nailed to the walls."

I''m not sure what I am supposed to do from here... They aren''t giving me any options, other than it is obvious that they don''t want to fix it.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Is it possible to get them to demonstrate the splitting? Cut a few pieces of siding and nail them to something. Then you'd at least be able to see what they're talking about (if they're telling the truth). And if they're just making excuses, you'll be able to see that, too.

ETA: What really bugs me is he's throwing out hypotheticals - his job is to build YOUR house. You should be able to make the final decision, and part of making that decision is knowing for a FACT what would happen.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mere-further input from DH.

"If it is vinyl siding there is a “J Trim" it slides into, if it is standard clapboard siding it should have a corner board and a window trim board that either the clap-board runs behind (and you nail the board) OR you run it to the end.

Either way it is total BS that it cannot be done. Tell your friend to tell the contractor that they would be happy to get the building inspector to come down and review the project"

ETA: He also wanted you to see this page that tells you how to do it.

http://books.google.com/books?id=qFtpw05WqpgC&pg=PA82&lpg=PA82&dq=clapboard+corner+details&source=bl&ots=05FamGWi1S&sig=CeR2czZ2FNmwYOUwoDKfA5BPA0k&hl=en&ei=wgOxS7bQJMX7lwf9-biQAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CBsQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=clapboard%20corner%20details&f=false

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks HH. I am printing it out and taking it with me to the "final" walk-thru.

ETA: It won't let me pull it up. Crap!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mere, check your other messages.

luvmyhalo

Brilliant_Rock
Can they use the wider trim all around that window? It looks like that's what they did on the glass block window. Then they would look identical. I think the main reason that window looks goofy is because the trim isn't symmetrical on the window. If it's the same all the way around, it will appear balanced and you won't notice the siding isn't there.

If they try to put up the small siding pieces and if they split, water getting in there could be a nightmare. Check your home warranty to make sure they cover this so you won't have a battle on your hands in the future. Good luck with the walk through!!!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Mer,

It is B.S. They can drill what are known as pilot holes in the wood with a small drill, and then nail through the wood. Pre-drilling prevents splitting in 99% of cases.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just read the first post and saw the pictures, and it would definetly bother me.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, it would bother me on two levels: 1-it looks unfinished and 2-i''m paying for a custom house, i expect custom work.

mz

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have noticed that there wasn't any siding there if you had just posted a general photo without circling it. It would bug the heck out of me. They should fix it.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
They should absolutely fix this. It would bother me everytime I looked at it and thought about the money I spent on the house.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2010 6:58:24 PM
Author: movie zombie
yes, it would bother me on two levels: 1-it looks unfinished and 2-i''m paying for a custom house, i expect custom work.

mz
Yep! Hope they fix it for you, Mere.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just sounds like an excuse - I don''t believe for a minute that they couldn''t successfully put siding there - where it belongs!

Stick to your guns!

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the pre-drill. We once backed out of buying a home because the builder was being stubborn on construction defects. They CAN do it right. They just don''t want to because it costs them extra money. Delay the close if you can to retain leverage. Good luck!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I believe they could have a piece custom made. Yours is not the only house with strips of thin siding necessary to complete the "look". Vinyl siding was created to mimic wood siding and you would never see a piece of wood siding slapped on vertically on the corner of a house.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Looks like it can be done.

2_Federal_B.jpg

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
And here on the dormers.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
dormers

7_Cape_Cod2_B.jpg

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I am a perfectionist, but I think it's worth fighting with them over it.

ETA: Read more, looks like you still are. Keep fighting!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
How did it go last night? It might be worth it to you to bring in an outside contractor to give you an estimate on it and then request that they fix it themselves or pay for the cost of this other person that can do it. At least then, you could prove it CAN be done.

sctsbride09

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a details person, so that would drive me insane. Hope they can fix it easily for you.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks again for all of the advice.

I fought it for about 15 minutes, and decided I didn't want this guy working on my house anymore. He flat out doesn't want to do it, and I don't want him slapping some crap on my house just to get me off his back. I have written the builder and am requesting that they pay for me to bring out a second contractor to give another opinion. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon.
(ETA- Steph, we think alike
36.gif
)

Since I have decided to have our own people fix that issue, I demanded that they re-pour the patio. (Obviously the more expensive issue of the two.)

We had an extra slab poured to extend our patio, and there is a dip next to the house. Yesterday, the project manager told me it was *nothing to worry about* because if the water collected too much it would just run off into the expansion joint. Ummmmmmm, WTF?!?!?
23.gif
You mean the expansion joint in between our patio and our FOUNDATION?!?!

These people are ridiculous. They will say anything to get this house closed today. That patio is being busted up this morning and re-poured correctly, and our back yard is being re-graded this morning as well. Like I said, all of our problems seem to be outside.

Luckily, we are not the last house to be built on the street, so the project manager will be around daily to oversee that these projects be done correctly. I am going by the house before our closing, which is scheduled for 2pm, to make sure the crews are out there... if they are not, we will not be closing today.

Talk about down to the wire... *Fingers crossed*

The next time I build anything I will be using Mike Holmes
2.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are full of cr#p!
38.gif
Good for you Mere.

CasaBlanca

Shiny_Rock
I have not been able to login for several days...darn cookies. (yum yum they were chocolate and really good!)

I wonder if my post is too late? This is my view on the issue;

A lot of times in construction things are cheated (not deception here) ...or budged...or flipped from plan. Perhaps within the wall inside the electrical was placed left of stud instead of right of stud...which makes the (window) placement a few inches out of correct placement. *This could easily be a closet or door opening you are contending with.

If that is the case, it is possible that the stud-(not referring to a guy here...but a stick of wood! HA!) Had to be cut to accommodate the window (flip) and there is nothing structural between the casing and the corner frame of the house. Soooo, he could be arguing this one point as he knows whats behind that and knows there isn't he correct support to bind into.

A cheat (again just a term) can be corrected with another, but since it was not on the plans...and since most workers actually working on a job site don't hold degrees (just this one site no INSULT INTENDED TO ANYONE who ever worked or is currently working in this trade), they just do what think is best to get the work completed, it is possible that the window is sitting in a 3 cornered box and there isn't the 4 sides of the box in which it should be place in.

Q: Are your windows VINYL?

There is specific code in your area what is required on all window type installations.

Again, had they just installed 3 (from this prospective) small studs to fill in that gap there would be adequate support to CHEAT the install. But for some reason he is defaulting to there is nothing there...

I don't know what brand or technique on install this brand of siding is...but to fix a corner, it involves a whole lot of undoing...which if he can vocally convince you it isn't a big thing, then he has saved himself a ton of man power by the hour. (his profit ratio is small percentage...you wouldn't believe it...he is trying to hold on to every thing he can).

One positive thing is...there is plenty of material there in the lazy first install, so he can't argue it is too late to get more material.

PS...Who pays for your "Project Manager?"

EDITED...I forgot...Siding is installed in a "WATERFALL" fashion...because of....>WATERFALL. That horizontal line of siding will encourage a different form of waterfall around that window. It should be corrected.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Casa, I completely understand your points, and if that is the case, then by all means I would be welcome to a *reasonable* explanation as to why this can't be done.

However, their sole reason is that the siding will split if they try to do it.

Just read your edit. LOL. Thank you for all of your information, I appreciate the other points of view.

ETA: Our project manager was assigned by the builder. I think he works for a different "company", but they I would bet money that his checks still say the builder on them.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry Mere, sending you dust and luck! On a lighter note, nice to see another Mike Holmes fan! I
30.gif
30.gif
him! You tell them to "Make it Right!"

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
Take no prisoners Mere! I puffy heart Mike Holmes.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good, you''ve got the right mind set: they will never complete any corrections even if they agree to it AFTER you close. they want their $ and that''s all. never ever accept that they will fix something after it closes.

mz

April20

Ideal_Rock
I''m totally late to this thread, but was going to tell you not to let them jerk you around and that they must fix it. But I see you''ve already done this. GOOD JOB!!

I work in construction related field and am SUPER picky on my punch lists for projects. My contractors have basically told me almost anything is fixable, so I don''t buy that something as simple as adding siding between your window and the side of your house is not possible. Pure BS.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
No, no, and no. Either they use a wider trim around the window or they put the siding in between. I have siding on my house and there are areas where it''s about 3-4" of trim between the shutter/trim and the side of the house. Also, the patio is a huge issue that they have to rememdy. Do not sign off on the final walk-thru until this is corrected or you have it in writing that it will be corrected by X date! When we built our house (through Centex) we had a ton of issues that we and our independent inspector caught. Centex wrote it all down and fixed everything and then we signed off on it. I haven''t followed your other thread but do you have an independent inspector? For something like the patio, you should definitely have one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results