shape
carat
color
clarity

Hot - Edwardian brooch w pink diamond - real?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found this brooch while out shopping today. 18 karat white gold. Estimated to be 1910 to 1920s. This jeweler has been reliable in the past. The center diamond is a light pink diamond maybe a 1/3 ct. It does have a culet. Understandably they won't remove it to do any testing. If anyone is familiar with colored diamonds during this time frame, do you have any advice if this might be real or not? It didn't look like any work has been done around the diamond. I really like the brooch, but want to have a realistic expectation if the pink diamond is natural or not. About an hour and a half from home and stuff "hot "timeframe. I'm meeting a friend for lunch and if I buy it will pick it up before I head back home. Thanks in advance!

_4836.jpeg

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's pretty - regardless, I like it. Maybe post in Rocky Talk to get more feedback?

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Yimmers said:
It's pretty - regardless, I like it. Maybe post in Rocky Talk to get more feedback?

I agree - it's gorgeous!

Honestly, I'd buy it just because it's so pretty!

Could you buy it on the understanding that you will return it if testing reveals that it is not a natural pink diamond?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice looking piece, looks like a diamond but really can't tell. Would be nice if it is.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The jeweler should have a diamond tester. All they have to do is touch the stone with it and it will read diamond. It's absolutely gorgeous, regardless.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the quick replies! I'm sorry, I should've been clearer. It does test as a diamond and the jewelry store owner has a G.G. My concern was I didn't know if they were doing treatments or other types of fakes for pink diamonds back then. I've never seen deco pieces with colored diamonds in it before.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell.
It is a beautiful piece though.

Personally, I'd not buy an FCD over, maybe, $500 without a report from GIA stating the origin of both the material and the color are natural.

I am NOT a risk taker.
No report, no sale.

Others here have taken risks and gotten killer deals on FCDs.
Feeling lucky?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yimmers, Trekkie, Bright ice, Athenaworth, and Kenny - thank you for chiming in with your thoughts. They were helpful given my quick purchase timeframe.

I bought it! I'm a sucker for pierce work and milgrain. I took pics with a loupe in front of my iPhone which makes it look darker than in real life but shows the details. It has a mark but it is so, so tiny I can't make it out at all. I wish there was a way to identify it because I like to know the history that goes with estate pieces.

_37830.jpg

_37831.jpg

_37832.jpg

_37833.jpg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pics.

_37834.jpg

_37835.jpg

_37836.jpg

_37837.jpg

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no idea if it's real but it sure is gorgeous! The only thing I've heard falsely testing as diamond is a moissanite, and I don't think they had pink moissanite back then. Do you have plans to wear it as a brooch? I am a big proponent of bringing back the brooch!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, that is super pretty! How do you plan on wearing it?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ihy138|1468963612|4057306 said:
I have no idea if it's real but it sure is gorgeous! The only thing I've heard falsely testing as diamond is a moissanite, and I don't think they had pink moissanite back then. Do you have plans to wear it as a brooch? I am a big proponent of bringing back the brooch!!
Yes! I hope you keep it as a brooch. I wear vintage pins on all my jackets and sweaters. This would be stunning on anything!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is a stunning, elegant piece; so happy you bought it!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad you decided to make the purchase. It's stunning!!!!

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, a very beautiful, special piece. Congrats!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is incredible! :love:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
KUDOS on those amazing photos & an exquisite piece!!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
It's lovely! Please show us how you plan to rock it!!

GlamMosher

Shiny_Rock
This is gorgeous! I love the little Mickey Mouse ear shapes. :)

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's a genuine Antique my bet would be it's a real untreated pink diamond, pinks used to be worth next to nothing until all the marketing from DeBeers in the last two decades so.... hopefully unless someone has replaced the stone or it's a reproduction, you got a really beautiful bargain!!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's gorgeous! :love: So glad you got it and I think it is a special and unique piece. Beautiful. :love: Looking forward to seeing what you do with it but I love the brooch idea that others have suggested. I think no matter what how you wear this piece though you cannot go wrong. It is stunning.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your comments! I'm feeling the brooch love! :love:

Ihy138, tyty33, stracci2000, lioness, missy - I'm going to wear it as a brooch and see how often it makes it out of the jewelry box. I'm in the south and don't get the chance to wear many cardigans or Blazers so will have to figure out ways to work it into my wardrobe. I wear necklaces every day so part of me is tempted to convert it to a pendant so I can wear it often.

minousbijoux, Callicake, AnnaH, diamondseeker2000, MollyMalone - It's always the debate over the regret you own vs the regret of missing the chance to buy isn't it? I doubt I'm going to regret getting this piece. I don't see many estate brooches and I've never seen one with this much detail that is on the smaller side.

Glamosher - "Mickey Mouse ears" I love it!

Arkieb1 - Thank you for that information! You told me more than I learned googling for info. The knowledge base on PS is the best!

I took a couple of outdoor iPhone pics this morning since the light was good.

_37838.jpg

_37839.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you put this on any solid color blouse or shirt, it will stand out like a strobe light. I guarantee you will get many, many compliments.
I would recommend putting a small rubber earring back on the pin part just before fixing the clasp, as a safety measure.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Kgizo, it's gorgeous! A bale on the back would make it very versatile and open up some opportunities to wear it more often. It would also look great with pearls :love:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is beautiful!

You can also get pendant converters that slide over the pin stem. Since this is a larger piece, a converter with two bails (one near each side) might help it sit better on a chain. No permanent work needed and more versatility.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a lovely piece. Enjoy! :)

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Holy cow I'm glad you bought that. It's amazing.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful brooch! :love: It would be lovely as a pendant too! :appl:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spectacular find!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results