shape
carat
color
clarity

Hosiery! To wear or not to wear?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I work in a conservative office - suits or business casual on daily basis. Quite a lot of women wear nude hose in fall/spring and dark tights in the winter including me. Summer is hot here so most do bare legs. I personally see it as a function of weather and much less so of fashion. Have not heard anyone at work say hosiery is outdated. My office has a wide span of ages - early 20s to 60s.

You should wear what is appropriate in your office environment.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1370427923|3459278 said:
thing2of2|1370394388|3459118 said:
ForteKitty|1370392424|3459091 said:
Smith1942|1370375535|3458952 said:
Scroll down to this woman's pictures of her wearing dresses after she lost all the weight. She has great legs, but the knees let her down. Her legs would look even better in 7 denier tights in the right colour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2335123/Being-married-fat-Obese-wife-Taryn-Wright-Grays-Essex-lost-7-stone-year-leaving-husband.html

Do you really think her legs look bad? Tights would look terrible with any of those dresses unless she had boots on.

Yeah she looks fantastic. Knees are meant to stick out and have wrinkly skin on them. It's hilarious that you think her knees somehow make her look worse. I guarantee any man or woman who saw her IRL wouldn't notice her knees.

I never wear hose, just black opaque tights in the fall/winter. Hose look dowdy and are uncomfortable. I don't GAF if someone doesn't like my knees.

Huge ditto to this. Smith-I think this woman's knees, legs and everything else looks fantastic and I don't even know what you are talking about with her knees.

I haven't worn pantyhose for decades. Never liked them, never could get past one wearing without ripping them and once I stopped wearing them I never looked back.

I just recently started wearing shorter dresses (I never wear pantyhose anymore-hate them) and had to get over my self consciousness about my knees. I'm with thing2 now - I don't GAF what other people think about my knees and it took me some time to get there because I am my own worst critic (like most people are). You know what, I worked hard to get to where I am and my knees are imperfect sure but they are my knees and allow me to do all that I do and I am thankful they are both working and I show them off proudly- too bad if they are not "model" perfect. I love them (though it took me a while to get there).

In the colder weather I wear leggings and boots with my short dresses and now thanks to my new attitude I wear short dresses with nothing on my (very pale) legs in the warmer weather. It's very freeing. Ofc I don't work in a corporate environment so I guess it would depend on your work environment, because it sounds like you may have less freedom in dressing than I do maccers, but personally pantyhose are a no no for me.

Preach, missy! Seriously, the insane pressure on women to look perfect is ridiculous. And it coming from other women is even worse. Now we can't have wrinkly knees?! Don't be part of the patriarchy, ladies. Ashley Judd sums it up nicely for me: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...or-speculation-over-her-puffy-appearance.html

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1370438201|3459340 said:
I work in a conservative office - suits or business casual on daily basis. Quite a lot of women wear nude hose in fall/spring and dark tights in the winter including me. Summer is hot here so most do bare legs. I personally see it as a function of weather and much less so of fashion. Have not heard anyone at work say hosiery is outdated. My office has a wide span of ages - early 20s to 60s.

You should wear what is appropriate in your office environment.

Yes, I think many of us would agree, but I think this thread is more about wearing hose in social environments. Unless dictated by some sort of protocol (like a professional setting, etc.), generally speaking, hose are seen as out-dated in social environments. The only people that I see wearing them (in non-work environments) are older ladies, which is why I won't touch them with a 10-foot pole because at my age, I need all the help I can get to stay "young" :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1370440815|3459365 said:
Scroll down to this woman's pictures of her wearing dresses after she lost all the weight. She has great legs, but the knees let her down. Her legs would look even better in 7 denier tights in the right colour.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2335123/Being-married-fat-Obese-wife-Taryn-Wright-Grays-Essex-lost-7-stone-year-leaving-husband.html

Do you really think her legs look bad? Tights would look terrible with any of those dresses unless she had boots on.

Yeah she looks fantastic. Knees are meant to stick out and have wrinkly skin on them. It's hilarious that you think her knees somehow make her look worse. I guarantee any man or woman who saw her IRL wouldn't notice her knees.

I never wear hose, just black opaque tights in the fall/winter. Hose look dowdy and are uncomfortable. I don't GAF if someone doesn't like my knees.

Huge ditto to this. Smith-I think this woman's knees, legs and everything else looks fantastic and I don't even know what you are talking about with her knees.

I haven't worn pantyhose for decades. Never liked them, never could get past one wearing without ripping them and once I stopped wearing them I never looked back.

I just recently started wearing shorter dresses (I never wear pantyhose anymore-hate them) and had to get over my self consciousness about my knees. I'm with thing2 now - I don't GAF what other people think about my knees and it took me some time to get there because I am my own worst critic (like most people are). You know what, I worked hard to get to where I am and my knees are imperfect sure but they are my knees and allow me to do all that I do and I am thankful they are both working and I show them off proudly- too bad if they are not "model" perfect. I love them (though it took me a while to get there).

In the colder weather I wear leggings and boots with my short dresses and now thanks to my new attitude I wear short dresses with nothing on my (very pale) legs in the warmer weather. It's very freeing. Ofc I don't work in a corporate environment so I guess it would depend on your work environment, because it sounds like you may have less freedom in dressing than I do maccers, but personally pantyhose are a no no for me.

Preach, missy! Seriously, the insane pressure on women to look perfect is ridiculous. And it coming from other women is even worse. Now we can't have wrinkly knees?! Don't be part of the patriarchy, ladies. Ashley Judd sums it up nicely for me: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...or-speculation-over-her-puffy-appearance.html

+1 milllion!

Maybe i dont know what "sexy knees" look like but they look great to me! I think they would look worse tights.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I do think pantyhose have fallen out of style in general. They have their time and place - for me, very formal occasions or when I'm afraid I'll be too cold otherwise - but I very much prefer going without them. I'd rather see bare legs than pantyhose with runs in them anyway, and it's so easy to get a run.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
maccers|1370407105|3459224 said:
Wow, I am just shocked at how few ppl wear hose! I had no idea. And I can't believe that I'm dated in this respect! I going to pay strict attention tomorrow at work for who wears hose, what they are wearing it with, their age, and does it look good. Truly ladies, I'm shocked. I'm sure you're all envisioning me as a terribly dressed mid-30s gal :oops:

I'm 28 and rarely wear skirts or dresses but ALWAYS wear hose when I do! This has included job interviews, dressy events, outdoor picnics, and even babysitting a 2-year-old.

"A" is 13 and is not allowed out of the house in any sort of dress/skirt without them. Period. I guess this comes from my being raised (mostly by grandparents) that they are a must and only *that sort* or woman goes out without them.

I think I need to pay more attention and see who wears what! It sounds like what I was taught is maybe not so current?

I wonder how much has to do with location too? Like maybe some areas they are worn and others they aren't?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1370499024|3459946 said:
Wow, I am just shocked at how few ppl wear hose! I had no idea. And I can't believe that I'm dated in this respect! I going to pay strict attention tomorrow at work for who wears hose, what they are wearing it with, their age, and does it look good. Truly ladies, I'm shocked. I'm sure you're all envisioning me as a terribly dressed mid-30s gal :oops:

I'm 28 and rarely wear skirts or dresses but ALWAYS wear hose when I do! This has included job interviews, dressy events, outdoor picnics, and even babysitting a 2-year-old.

"A" is 13 and is not allowed out of the house in any sort of dress/skirt without them. Period. I guess this comes from my being raised (mostly by grandparents) that they are a must and only *that sort* or woman goes out without them.

I think I need to pay more attention and see who wears what! It sounds like what I was taught is maybe not so current?

I wonder how much has to do with location too? Like maybe some areas they are worn and others they aren't?

What :confused: So not wearing panty hose is slutty?

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Times change, attitudes change...sometimes very very quickly.
Crazy Madelise, but not too long ago (in the broad scheme of things *cough*) even little girls were expected to wear stockings every day.
My mother tells me she used to be driven mad by them under her school dress (this is before pantihose was invented).

I agree that pantihose does feel restrictive and uncomfortable.
But with skirtslengths staying higher than ever, it would be nice to have *some* option other than pants-under-dress in the warmer months.
I'm not really the spray tan or leg makeup type, which are really the options before us currently, non?

ETA: also I have noticed some young Asian girls (tourists, from Asia, visiting here) looking very nice and smart in their pale hosiery...it looks just great on them, but it is a little breakaway from our expected norm in Aus.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I wear hosiery. I don't care if its dated, I like them. I wear very sheer pantyhose but finding the right skin colour for me is the challenge!

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I work in finance and in a very corporate environment. Most women here wear tights if they wear skirts or dresses. It just looks more put together/professional.

"old lady" nude tights are usually 40 denier or similar. That is a very different look to a 7/10 even 15 denier.

And if you aren't one of the lucky ones that have thighs that don't touch...well tights make walking around a lot more comfortable. I like tights lol, and I am 29.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline|1370504546|3459965 said:
Times change, attitudes change...sometimes very very quickly.
Crazy Madelise, but not too long ago (in the broad scheme of things *cough*) even little girls were expected to wear stockings every day.
My mother tells me she used to be driven mad by them under her school dress (this is before pantihose was invented).

I agree that pantihose does feel restrictive and uncomfortable.
But with skirtslengths staying higher than ever, it would be nice to have *some* option other than pants-under-dress in the warmer months.
I'm not really the spray tan or leg makeup type, which are really the options before us currently, non?

ETA: also I have noticed some young Asian girls (tourists, from Asia, visiting here) looking very nice and smart in their pale hosiery...it looks just great on them, but it is a little breakaway from our expected norm in Aus.

You're forgetting the "don't do anything and the world can either enjoy my pasty legs or piss off" option.

I do think in certain professional environments hose is appropriate. Luckily I don't work in one of those! ;))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1370501952|3459959 said:

No, I think that she meant that she was raised by her grandparents and according to their beliefs/norms, not wearing pantyhose was unacceptable (for most women). I don't think she was saying that sort of reasoning necessarily applied to today's standards.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy|1370545373|3460297 said:
madelise|1370501952|3459959 said:

No, I think that she meant that she was raised by her grandparents and according to their beliefs/norms, not wearing pantyhose was unacceptable (for most women). I don't think she was saying that sort of reasoning necessarily applied to today's standards.

Too Patient, oh man you make your 13 year old wear panty hose? I'm pretty sure this would have caused world war 3 for me at age 13. Stubborn teenage girls! I would have boycotted lmao

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Bare legs? In a professional environment? Or at a wedding? :-o Where do I sign up?

Jokes aside, no that wouldn't really be ok or at least Ive never noticed people doing it. I'm 25 and over here even the stores for teens sell pantyhose. I really really hate wearing it so a lot of the time I wear stay ups, I figure what they dont know cant hurt them :bigsmile: . Moving to London soon, will have to take a look at what people at the office do there. Please please be acceptable to skip the pantyhose, pretty please? But Im guessing Ill never be rid of them.

Oh and not wear closed toe heels in a professional environment? :shock: Id always heard that in the US the dress codes were a lot stricter but shesh I must be an old lady but how can you wear peeptoes with a suit? Dont mean anything negative I just find the concept mindboggling.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say I get the giggles that the topic of hosiery has produced such divergent opinions. I really wasn't expecting this number of replies. Now that more people have weighed in, I'm glad to see I'm not completely alone in still wearing pantyhose. Yesterday I wore another dress to work, sans hosiery and felt fairly comfortable without them. But as I look at my wardrobe of dresses, there's definitely a few of them that I would only wear with nylons, I feel it gives a more complete and professional look. I'm not exactly how I make that distinction, the cut of the dress and the material, i suppose. For the record, I'm definitely NOT saying that those who choose not to wear hosiery are unprofessional or slutty. I originally started this thread because I found myself questioning how 'current' I was in my thinking about the issue.

Eta: a random thought, I detest the words pantyhose and nylons! Not sure why! :lol:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
natascha|1370557296|3460465 said:
Bare legs? In a professional environment? Or at a wedding? :-o Where do I sign up?

Jokes aside, no that wouldn't really be ok or at least Ive never noticed people doing it. I'm 25 and over here even the stores for teens sell pantyhose. I really really hate wearing it so a lot of the time I wear stay ups, I figure what they dont know cant hurt them :bigsmile: . Moving to London soon, will have to take a look at what people at the office do there. Please please be acceptable to skip the pantyhose, pretty please? But Im guessing Ill never be rid of them.

Oh and not wear closed toe heels in a professional environment? :shock: Id always heard that in the US the dress codes were a lot stricter but shesh I must be an old lady but how can you wear peeptoes with a suit? Dont mean anything negative I just find the concept mindboggling.

My mother is in a somewhat important position at my work. She is 55, and very good dresser. I truly cannot remember the last time she wore tights. Not to work, nor my sisters wedding last year, anything.

and the really high up people at our work, execs and stuff, i cant remember seeing them wear nude tights, EVER. black ones? sure maybe. But nude ones? i honestly cannot remember the last time ive seen anyone wear nude tights.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1370564028|3460517 said:

My mother is in a somewhat important position at my work. She is 55, and very good dresser. I truly cannot remember the last time she wore tights. Not to work, nor my sisters wedding last year, anything.

and the really high up people at our work, execs and stuff, i cant remember seeing them wear nude tights, EVER. black ones? sure maybe. But nude ones? i honestly cannot remember the last time ive seen anyone wear nude tights.
Are you in the US or UK? I would so love to be able to skip the tights. Although it would probably feel very weird. Somepeople even wear tights with shorts over here...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
natascha|1370600669|3460775 said:
Niel|1370564028|3460517 said:

Are you in the US or UK? I would so love to be able to skip the tights. Although it would probably feel very weird. Somepeople even wear tights with shorts over here...
Us Midwest.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1370440815|3459365 said:

Thanks for sharing that link Thing. I like Ashley Judd. She's a smart woman and really makes excellent observations. It's very sad that some women do this to other women. When will we stop beating each other up and holding each other down? My POV is that we can stop the cycle by not giving the power to others to affect how we feel about ourselves. So I'm with you on not giving a f*** what other (read small minded) people think about my appearance or anything else for that matter.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1370532829|3460143 said:
You're forgetting the "don't do anything and the world can either enjoy my pasty legs or piss off" option.

LOLZ that's kinda the option I've been working :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results