shape
carat
color
clarity

horror story....diamond switching..ADVISE PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

illusivone

Rough_Rock
This is gnawing away at you.....

If you're lady is amenable, have the loose stone sent to a reputable grader, GIA, AGS, etc.... have the mounting wighted and appraised and bundle your courage and feelings and go after them. Just like the jewler gave reasonable proof of their conduct, go after the rest.....

Ultimately, though, it's not alot of money. (It STINKS!!!, but $ 1500 is not going to affect the way you live your life). So if your Lady loves it, and will be saddend to part with it, I say....(just one man's opinion) let it go.

You will probably chase and chase and never catch them. But, you did raise the hugh and cry, and probably made it safer for the next guy.

I'm so sorry this happend to you. I hope you can look at your lady's hand and smile some day.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I still think it happened with the original jeweler as well.

If you're going to apply pressure, that's where I'd apply it.

If your fiancee likes the ring, I'd shoot for a refund or credit of the difference in value, telling them that will settle the matter, and you'll put it in writing.

Tazman282

Rough_Rock
My .02 on this issue is that if I were in the same situation. I first would check into the history the setter has with the company how long he has been doing it and his personal record to see if something could look wrong. I then would contact Kay jewlers and have them issue you a temporary ring in exchange for them sending yours out. So that your woman won't feel naked let's say. I would also do a search on that specific local dealer and see if they have anything from there past. A companies past especially a local one can hold the truth to this situation. I also believe that the problem lies with the original dealer in hopes that you would never find out. For the reasons that it is a local dealer. Another thing you could do is ask for a list of the people who have bought diamonds from the store in the past month and see if this is not an ongoing affair. My uncle is a fraud investigator and he said that this is not an uncommon occurence. That is why it was so close so you would never second guess it. If you think about it. The difference could be a 1000 dollars based on small differences but if done to 10 people that is 10,000. Just something to think about. Good luck and hope you get to the bottom of this mess.

Brian_DC

Rough_Rock
My sympathies go out to you and your fiancée. This is a bad situation, and I know I would want to get to the bottom of it myself.

But.. after seeing how my new fiancée is with her ring, I would tell you to have a long talk with your fiancée. I ended up surprising my fiancée with her engagement ring, so couldn't get input into the setting. I had a different custom setting in mind, but presented her with a classic solitare setting. She still prohibits me from taking her ring to get re-set. Most women tend to love the specific ring that you gave them. If she loves the ring that she has, I would swallow hard, and let it drop. It sucks, but she is the one that will be wearing it, so if she is happy, keep her happy.

At the very least, file with the BBB all the details for future people to read. Hopefully your original store will step up and try to help you out, but it doesn't sound likely.

Good luck, and congratulations on the engagement.

Brian_DC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results