carat
color
clarity

Horizon: Do You See What I See?

Jeffrey Hunt

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello All!

I found the following Horizon segment fascinating and I think many here will also enjoy it, especially in relationship to color perception and gemstones. I have a little saying I really enjoy: "pigment of your imagination." Evidently there is something to this.

Enjoy!

Jeffrey Hunt

This comes via Boing Boing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRhlKhjPWI&feature=player_embedded#at=27

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an incredible study! I was fascinated that the tribes people could easily pick out a different shade of green but struggled to differentiate between blue and green!

I don't think the study referred to age? I think perception of colour isn't as sharp the older you get as when you are young!

The test that the study performed with the dot fading in and out "does this change colour" I thought was really misleading. I wonder if other PS'ers would have said "well, you're adjusting the light (fading in and out) so it may well be the same colour but just with different lighting conditions"!!!!!!!

Thank you for the link. I enjoyed watching that very much.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it a very interesting video.
It would be interesting to find out if there is any difference in color perception between "lefties" and "righties".

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I watched that the other night here - sadly missed the end due to putting kid to bed so thank you for posting.

I found it fascinating - and it also may answer the question as to why people can disagree so much as to whether a red gemstone is truly red or not. Add in differences due to environmental and locational light sources and it's a wonder that anyone sees a stone the same colour!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Really interesting. It's something I always wondered about. Helps account for disagreements on gems as well as other colors.

Throughout our marriage DH & I have argued about color; where I see green, say, he sees blue, etc. We each accuse the other of being colorblind -- this has gone on & on, sometimes gets a little heated. But HE grew up in Holland (& of course his native language is Dutch, which has fewer words than English does). I grew up in NY State. According to the experiments, those backgrounds would influence what we see. Fascinating.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results