shape
carat
color
clarity

Hoping for inputs - Is this Oval Lab ok?

Muimui

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

First time Lab diamond buyer here! I hope I did this post right.

I am hoping for some opinions on an Oval that a local jeweller helped to get in for me.
It’s a F coloured, VS1, 1.40 ratio I believe

I like that it’s crispy and bright, and the bow tie feels minimal to me. But I’m very new to this and @DejaWiz did mention to me that ovals are tricky.

Loupe Video -
Video of the actual stone taken by me with a iPhone 14 pro max, so it’s the best I can do.
( I’m sorry for the shaky video. I was very nervous) -

Attachments

• IMG_2683.jpeg
    IMG_2683.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2693.jpeg
    IMG_2693.jpeg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Looks pretty nice. Just would depend on the price. Did you check the price vs. some online vendors? Can you post the cert. report?

Muimui

Rough_Rock
Looks pretty nice. Just would depend on the price. Did you check the price vs. some online vendors? Can you post the cert. report?

Thank you. I was abit concerned with a dark area in the Center of the diamond, but it might just be the diamond reflecting my black tee or the surroundings?
If you don’t see or notice it, maybe it’s only me.

I’m based in Aus and the jeweller is selling at a good price with taxes included.

Muimui

Rough_Rock
@tyty333, I read that you mention good facets are important in the north and south in the centre of an oval.
I’m wondering if you can chime in on this oval that the jeweller ordered in for me? Dejawiz very kindly shortlisted it and I got the Jeweller to bring it in.

In the loupe video, it looked nice and crispy, but I noticed that in RL, I can see dark areas? They are not permanently there, just certain angles and lighting conditions. I’ve attached a picture of what I meant.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_2728.jpeg
    IMG_2728.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 9

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Muimui

Yes, when the stone spins you want to see nice facets towards the N/S ends. These are the areas I've circled in Orange.
Looks like your stone has some nice facets in that area (yeh) but not a great deal. The area I've outlined in green is
what most* people call a bow tie but these are actually facets that have the most direct light return (less virtual).

Unfortunately, it seems like they are cutting most lab ovals in this pattern (8 main offset) with very few stones being 8 main
straight across, or 6 main so most of the stones look like the one you've posted.

So, I guess what I would say is its not bad...its ok.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 112425.png

Attachments

• 6 main.png
    6 main.png
    293.2 KB · Views: 14

Muimui

Rough_Rock
@tyty333, Thank you for your explanation!!

Muimui

Rough_Rock
@tyty333, could I ask you something so I can understand better?
Why is there a dark area (circled in the attachment) in the oval when I don’t see it on the loupe video? Is that just the facets reflecting and not something I can avoid?

I think I was surprised at it because I didn’t see a dark spot on the loupe, hence not expecting it.

Thank you!

IMG_2729.jpeg

Muimui

Rough_Rock
Hi @tyty333!
I think all is good.
I’ve booked an appointment check out the oval again and Dejawiz mentioned to be to wear a white or light coloured top.

Such a difference did it make.
I didn’t think a diamond would take in that much colour just from my top.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results