shape
carat
color
clarity

Hongqiao Pearl Market (Beijing) and my first “real” pearls - baroque Tahitians

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
After lurking in this Pearls subforum for a few years, I’ve finally gotten round to buying my first “real” pearls!

I went to the Hongqiao Pearl Market in Beijing, fully expecting to pick up a strand of chunky white Edisons, but walked out with baroque peacock Tahitians.

Needless to say, I didn’t really *get* pearls until I saw the good stuff in person, especially Tahitians.

First though, I wanted to provide a short review of Hongqiao Pearl Market in Beijing - and sorry, even though I was there for a five hour Pearl extravaganza, I didn’t take any photos of the market itself!

I found out about Hongqiao from the other pearl forum. It’s across two floors of the large Hongqiao shopping centre - the lower floor has smaller stalls in the centre with larger stalls on the edges (a bit like the fine jewellery floor at Harrods, Selfridges, Bergdorfs etc), and the upper floor has more “established” shops with higher pricing.

To be honest, I hadn’t done much price comparison except using Pearl Paradise as a benchmark so can’t speak to the price at the market (except that they’re cheaper, but I don’t know how to compare PP quality grading vs what I saw in person!).

However, a couple of the vendors did mention that the pearl market in China is quite soft at the moment - prices of Tahitians have fallen, akoyas and WSS have stabilised and GSS is the only one where prices are edging up. Saying that, it could be a sales tactic as I ended up focussing on Tahitians :evil2:

I don’t know the exact number, but there are definitely over 50 pearl vendors (and a few others doing mostly semi-precious gems with a small selection of small precious gems), and it’s so fun to see their wares. All of them carry white freshwaters and lower quality akoyas and WSS, but each stall differs by the finer pearls.

It definitely pays to shop around for two reasons. First, each stall carries only a few strands of fine pearls so seeing more stalls gives better comparison. Second, bargaining is expected in China - whilst I definitely didn’t pay the “lowest” price for my Tahitians, they represent good value to me and I love them!

Ok, onto the pearls - and apologies for the rushed photos - I only have photos of me wearing them whilst trying them on in the market, and at the airport (as we’re catching a flight soon after).

I saw this strand fairly early on in the five hour pearl romp, and couldn’t get it out of my head. It’s the first time I’d seen good quality Tahitians and once I put them on - BAM! The high contrast between the dark toned body and bright, sharp reflection was glorious!

I must’ve tried on 15-20 more strands of Tahitians ranging in price (from 400-6000 USD) but kept coming back to this one as the benchmark. The vendor said these are a “classic” peacock but I’d love to have your thoughts on what vocab I should use to describe these?

Here are the photos in store. Bear in mind that the market is indoors with no natural lighting:

IMG_7432.jpeg
IMG_7492.jpeg

And on a murky day at the airport (with airport carpet haha!):
IMG_7506.jpeg
IMG_7507.jpeg
IMG_7518.jpeg
IMG_7514.jpeg

And the shot that sealed the deal for me: I think Tahitians look so good on the neck, and I love it with black (which makes up most of my wardrobe):
IMG_7430.jpeg
And video:

For me, the baroque shape is fun and modern, and I am already planning on my next strand of baroques in a lighter tone :kiss2:

Last edited:

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
And I just wanted to add a photo of my (highly unimpressed) husband humouring me by trying them on - it’s a bit too short on him, but look so so good around his neck! I can see the high shine lustre from 20 metres away (but couldn’t get a good photo).

One of the male vendors at Hongqiao wore a strand of silvery baroque Tahitians that looked amazing on him.

Pearls on men ROCK!

IMG_7519.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You made a great choice! They are clearly high quality pearls, and I think they look fabulous on you!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Great pearls, look fabulous and you are clearly in looooove with them. I stopped being amazed at how often the first strand a customer picks up is the one they buy.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hong xiao is such a fun place if you don’t mind some bartering! They look amazing on you!

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
After lurking in this Pearls subforum for a few years, I’ve finally gotten round to buying my first “real” pearls!

I went to the Hongqiao Pearl Market in Beijing, fully expecting to pick up a strand of chunky white Edisons, but walked out with baroque peacock Tahitians.

Needless to say, I didn’t really *get* pearls until I saw the good stuff in person, especially Tahitians.

First though, I wanted to provide a short review of Hongqiao Pearl Market in Beijing - and sorry, even though I was there for a five hour Pearl extravaganza, I didn’t take any photos of the market itself!

I found out about Hongqiao from the other pearl forum. It’s across two floors of the large Hongqiao shopping centre - the lower floor has smaller stalls in the centre with larger stalls on the edges (a bit like the fine jewellery floor at Harrods, Selfridges, Bergdorfs etc), and the upper floor has more “established” shops with higher pricing.

To be honest, I hadn’t done much price comparison except using Pearl Paradise as a benchmark so can’t speak to the price at the market (except that they’re cheaper, but I don’t know how to compare PP quality grading vs what I saw in person!).

However, a couple of the vendors did mention that the pearl market in China is quite soft at the moment - prices of Tahitians have fallen, akoyas and WSS have stabilised and GSS is the only one where prices are edging up. Saying that, it could be a sales tactic as I ended up focussing on Tahitians :evil2:

I don’t know the exact number, but there are definitely over 50 pearl vendors (and a few others doing mostly semi-precious gems with a small selection of small precious gems), and it’s so fun to see their wares. All of them carry white freshwaters and lower quality akoyas and WSS, but each stall differs by the finer pearls.

It definitely pays to shop around for two reasons. First, each stall carries only a few strands of fine pearls so seeing more stalls gives better comparison. Second, bargaining is expected in China - whilst I definitely didn’t pay the “lowest” price for my Tahitians, they represent good value to me and I love them!

Ok, onto the pearls - and apologies for the rushed photos - I only have photos of me wearing them whilst trying them on in the market, and at the airport (as we’re catching a flight soon after).

I saw this strand fairly early on in the five hour pearl romp, and couldn’t get it out of my head. It’s the first time I’d seen good quality Tahitians and once I put them on - BAM! The high contrast between the dark toned body and bright, sharp reflection was glorious!

I must’ve tried on 15-20 more strands of Tahitians ranging in price (from 400-6000 USD) but kept coming back to this one as the benchmark. The vendor said these are a “classic” peacock but I’d love to have your thoughts on what vocab I should use to describe these?

Here are the photos in store. Bear in mind that the market is indoors with no natural lighting:

IMG_7432.jpeg
IMG_7492.jpeg

IMG_7506.jpeg
IMG_7507.jpeg
IMG_7518.jpeg
IMG_7514.jpeg

And the shot that sealed the deal for me: I think Tahitians look so good on the neck, and I love it with black (which makes up most of my wardrobe):
IMG_7430.jpeg
And video:

For me, the baroque shape is fun and modern, and I am already planning on my next strand of baroques in a lighter tone :kiss2:

These suit you and the jewelry I've seen of yours so well! I can see why you kept going back to them :) Congratulations!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are gorgeous and look fabulous on you! And now the Tahitian obsession begins, lol.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
You made a great choice! They are clearly high quality pearls, and I think they look fabulous on you!
Thank you! Not gonna lie, sometimes I second guess myself and genuinely think “I shoulda made a thread about it on PS first”, but I really liked the strand and went with my gut!

Great pearls, look fabulous and you are clearly in looooove with them. I stopped being amazed at how often the first strand a customer picks up is the one they buy.
Haha, I wonder why that is? Is it because we’re usually used to lower quality strands that the first time we see high quality pearls, it makes a mark?

Hong xiao is such a fun place if you don’t mind some bartering! They look amazing on you!
Thank you! Yes, really enjoyed it! How was your Hongqiao experience and did you get anything from there?
I’ve been told that there’s a big pearl market in Hangzhou/Yiwu too, so might visit it in Sept/Oct when we go to Hangzhou to see some relatives

These suit you and the jewelry I've seen of yours so well! I can see why you kept going back to them :) Congratulations!
Hehe thanks, I think you’re right - I like my jewellery to have a bit of edge so baroque Tahitians are just the thing :)

They are gorgeous and look fabulous on you! And now the Tahitian obsession begins, lol.
Thank you! Haha the obsession is indeed real :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

IMG_7432.jpeg
IMG_7492.jpeg

IMG_7506.jpeg
IMG_7507.jpeg
IMG_7518.jpeg
IMG_7514.jpeg

IMG_7430.jpeg
And video:

wow !
they look amazing and amazing on you
beautiful !

the pearl market sounds really interesting and also fun when one love pearls but im no good at bargaining, its just not in my genes, i would need to shop with a local or someone from a culture where they haggle over price

i do hope that is true that pearl prices are dropping

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
+ a billion
Teehee for sure!

wow !
they look amazing and amazing on you
beautiful !

the pearl market sounds really interesting and also fun when one love pearls but im no good at bargaining, its just not in my genes, i would need to shop with a local or someone from a culture where they haggle over price

i do hope that is true that pearl prices are dropping
Thank you!
Tbh I’m not sure if they are dropping (as I’ve not followed pearl prices much) or if that was a sales tactic to get me to buy. Either way, I’m happy with my strand and must fight the urge to look at more / do the internal battle of being happy with what I have :lol:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Haha, I wonder why that is? Is it because we’re usually used to lower quality strands that the first time we see high quality pearls, it makes a mark?
No, It is, I think more visceral. Just like we decide who to love, which house to buy and stuff like that based on the first sighting in the first few seconds. Bam!

ExplorePS

Rough_Rock
Looks lovely on both you and your husband! Edgy and glamorous! Congrats.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results