shape
carat
color
clarity

Hong Kong Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

longmarch

Rough_Rock
Any places to recommend?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 5/30/2004 11:15:41 AM longmarch wrote:

Any places to recommend?----------------

From what i hear is H.K. vendors don't care about nice cuts,all they want to do is try to sell you a D-F color,IF-VVS stone,but what so good about these stones if the cut is no good.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
try this site: www.ps999.com
He is out of Hong Kong. He has sold some on ebay as well.
I don't know more about him.
Nan

greentea

Rough_Rock
----------------

Hi,
If you are going to Hong Kong, don't miss the chance to visit the "Hong Kong Jewellery & Watch Fair" at the Convention Center (http://www.JewelleryNetAsia.com) during June 24-27.
I have bought rings at there for a very good price last year. They have more than hundred booths. You can find pearls, loose diamond, rings and even fashion jewellery over there.

Greentea

greentea

Rough_Rock
----------------

Hi,
If you are going to Hong Kong, don't miss the chance to visit the "Hong Kong Jewellery & Watch Fair" at the Convention Center (http://www.JewelleryNetAsia.com) during June 24-27.
I have bought rings at there for a very good price last year. They have more than hundred booths. You can find pearls, loose diamond, rings and even fashion jewellery over there.

Greentea

Yupi

Rough_Rock
longmarch, i am currently living in hk and have bought in hk. If you are buying stones with certs, most places sell GIA certed stones.(but no sarin reports or anything like that) There are other reputable stores selling stones (mounted/loose) with certs like IGI,HRD,CGL, and AGS (i have seen so far). i will not go into which lab is better and which cert tells you what, sure you can form your own opinion by searching/reading this forum. For stones with no cert, it is difficult,unless you're a pro and you think you know what you're buying. good luck.

in relation to the following response, may i say:
-------------------------------------------------------
From what i hear is H.K. vendors don't care about nice cuts,all they want to do is try to sell you a D-F color,IF-VVS stone,but what so good about these stones if the cut is no good.--------------------------------------------------------
i am unable to comment on hk vendors' cos i am not one of them. but as a consumer my experience is that in hk, they are NOT just trying to sell DIF stones and nothing else. and how do you know these D-F color and IF-VVS stones do not have 'nice'cuts. what do you mean by 'nice' cuts anyway? what you 'hear' and said above is not a fair statement.

Split Rock

Rough_Rock
As a recent tourist, my girlfriend and I stopped in at a local jewelery store. In their window display was many diamonds, 1 carat, 2 carats, 3 carats etc,etc. In the center was a 45 carat emereld cut white diamond, about the size of a credit card, the biggest diamond I've ever seen!I forget the price in the millions. We only stopped to have her finger sized but briefly looked at AGS half carat diamond with a AGS certificate. The name of the shop is Luk Fook Jewellery on Nathan Road in Kowloon. They certainly had many very pretty diamonds in all sizes and shapes. The Chinese culture values perfection over quantity or low cost. Hong Kong is very high tech society, so I believe the average diamond buyer would know very much about the best cut diamonds,very savy consumers. The reason they pick high color and high clarity is because those "have" good karma or good luck! There is also another shop in Shatin, but carries more average sized diamonds. I do know that most of the rare red and pink diamonds from Australia are bought by the Hong Kong diamond dealers, some are sold to the Saudi royal families only. Keep in mind that some of the richest people on Earth live in Hong Kong!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yupi,

You said on the above message most places sell GIA certed stones.(but no sarin reports or anything like that). So as a consumer, how are we suppose to know the cut quality without knowing all the specifcation of the stone? I haven't been back to H.K since 1983, but what I've been hearing from friends that goes shopping for diamonds, they tell me the vendors always pushing them to buy d-f color and VVS stones. Now the question is is H.K prices that much of a discount compared to here in the U.S and worth the risk of getting caught sneaking it through U.S. custom ?

Yupi

Rough_Rock
vtigger86,
first question: you're right. that's why i go for stones with other certs (just my view). i will say not many consumers here in hk bother to study/know about table%(angle),pav%(angle),etc and i believe therefore both supply and demand tend to focus on the other 3Cs over the years. i don't know when this is going to change.

second question: i am sorry i don't know the amount of price difference (in %) compare to the US, can't comment.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 5/31/2004 8:44:46 PM Yupi wrote:

vtigger86,
first question: you're right. that's why i go for stones with other certs (just my view). i will say not many consumers here in hk bother to study/know about table%(angle),pav%(angle),etc and i believe therefore both supply and demand tend to focus on the other 3Cs over the years. i don't know when this is going to change.

second question: i am sorry i don't know the amount of price difference (in %) compare to the US, can't comment. ----------------

Yupi,
that's just my point, H.K vendors don't care about the most important C "the cut". what good is a stone that is poorly cut, even though it's D IF. it will not sparkle like a ideal cut. i have friends that tell me stones are a lot cheaper in H.K. little do they know, they are probably buying poorly cut stones. if i want to buy average cut stones here in the US, i probably can buy it for 25-30% cheaper than a top ideal cut stone.

longmarch

Rough_Rock
have u heard of continental jewellry in ocean terminal.
Are the prices attractive?

Yupi

Rough_Rock
longmarch,yes i have heard of this one but not been there. so i don't know how they price stones. beware of stores which have VERY high mark-up. however, if you ask, some may offer you a comparison to the Rap list (may not be the latest). good luck.

Yupi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results