shape
carat
color
clarity

Honestly...Blue Nile Sig. Cut... what''s the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jcarrey4

Rough_Rock
Would you get the BN sig cut, or is their ideal cut just as good? what''s the deal?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi jcarrey4, it may be but also may depend on particular diamonds. Post some examples for comparison. We will over-analyze it to death
1.gif

jcarrey4

Rough_Rock
I guess what I''m really asking is what are the ideal numbers for a princess cut? depth/table/crown/everything??

We''re talking the difference here between about 1500 bucks, and I understand that cut is very important, but if there are 2 1.01 carat G VS1 stones, but one is 1.01 L/W ratio, with a table of 70% and a depth of 63.5% med to thick girdle, excellent polish, very good symmetry, and no cutlet, is it worth 1200 more than the "very good, non signature-ideal cut" with those stats as: 1.01 L/W, T:68% D: 72.4% Ex. Thin to Sl. Thick, good symm, very good polish no cutlet...

jcarrey4

Rough_Rock
really, if you go to Bluenile.com, refine your search to princess cut stones .98 to 1.02 carat, G, VS1, and only change from sig ideal to very good cut, and obviously keep the L/W ratio at 1.01 or 1.00 or so, and do that comparison. (I''d rather have a visually perfect square, right?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Princess cut is pretty tricky to grade and judge by overage measurements. (see e.g. articles by Paul Slegers, aka Paul Antwerp, who specializes on cutting Princess stones).

AGS started to grade princess cut, so you can check whether diamond has recent AGS grading report. However, it is still not 100% bulletproof.

Signature diamonds supposed to be preselected hence have better quality. They are also "in-house" and Blue Nile gemologist can pull them out and eye-ball for you. Perhaps you can ask for ASET pictures which will help with analysis sight unseen. (see these examples of ASET performance for princess)

Alternatively, you also can get the stone and check it with an independent appraiser within 30 days...

jcarrey4

Rough_Rock
Well, any way I do this, the plan is to get it independantly appraised, So, thank you very much for that assessment! Um...geez, I wish I could have them send me 2 so i can get them both looked at side-by-side and appraised. Hmmm...

Oh well, ok, looks like next step is to get that rock!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results