shape
carat
color
clarity

Honest Thoughts by Asscher Owners

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Boy you didn''t waste any time Wallermama - love the way the satin finish turned out on your rings!!! So pretty.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Awww...thanks guys! Your comments are sweet.

I can''t believe what an improvement this is. I hadn''t realized how the mirror finish of the platinum and reflections on the bands were competing with the asscher. It was almost like the plat and the asscher were made of the same material...like a band and stone-shaped blob, which were both made of liquid mercury. So the darker reflections in the asscher were reflected/emphasized instead of the white light and colors. I feel like I just upgraded to a larger, lighter, more fiery and sparkly stone!

I was just going to apologize for veering off topic with my "satinization", but I think all of this is useful for people considering asschers, and settings for their babies, I hope.

The jeweler''s today was the first chance I got to compare my asscher to others in the exact same size, side by side. It was cool to compare one with very narrow windmills to mine. On its own, the narrow windmills didn''t really pop out at me as a bad thing necessarily, but the wider windmills of mine up next to it showed a lot of added pizzazz. For the most part they all looked like OK asschers to me, not total dogs, but definitely not storm-worthy if they weren''t even wallermama-worthy
2.gif
The no-bull lovely woman helping me was wowed by the quality of my asscher which made me feel quite blushy.

They had an interesting halo on an asscher that was something I''m not usually attracted to but looked nice...an asscher, maybe a carat, surrounded by a thin baguette halo, surrounded by a thin rose gold pave halo. A double halo, I guess?

They also had an asscher in the closest thing I have ever seen to the Daniel K split shank that everyone wants to copy. If anyone is chatting with mrssalvo, let her know. I tried it on and thought it looked so darned close to the DK it would have made her faint. dainty and lovely...

And thanks again to my buddy Deco!

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
What a great thread!
1.gif

I think everything I''m going to say has already been said, but:

Cons:
- Hard to tell the good and bad asschers from pics and stats, you really have to see them in real life
- Everyone thinks it''s a princess! Even the maul store staff!
- Needs to be cleaned everyday, but I don''t mind... w/ my Jewel Jet it''s super fun!
- Not as noticeable from afar as a comparable RB- which to me is both a pro and a con
- I think people might think it''s fake because they''ve never seen an asscher before (and my VVS1 is crystal clear)
- Very hard to get a nice photo!

Pros:
- Unique! I still haven''t actually met anyone w/ an asscher
- It has personality... now I know RB lovers might disagree, but to me a lot of RBs are interchangeable... not so with asschers... they have a very individual personalities. I''m sure I could pick my baby out of a diamond line up w/ no problem.
2.gif

- I just drown in this stone! I can and do stare at my ring all the freakin'' time. I have an RB halo, and to me, it''s like the halo forms this sparking bank around my diamond lake. You just dive in with your eyes and get sucked in, like an optical illusion. It''s beautiful and magical and I love it!
30.gif

About the princess cuts, I never used to like them very much at all, but have recently started to gain an appreciation, and then I saw the beauties at WF last week.... they were just unbelievable. Now a pair of princess cut studs is on my wish list.

For all the showiness of our fabulous diamond rings, we are really the only ones who really spend any time looking at them, you know? I mean, even if you see someone with an AMAZING ring, you can''t really look at the ring for very long without it being weird. So it''s really just finding what YOU are going to be happy staring at for hours on end, because you''re the only one who is going to be really looking at it.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 11:34:30 PM
Author: LizzieC

For all the showiness of our fabulous diamond rings, we are really the only ones who really spend any time looking at them, you know? I mean, even if you see someone with an AMAZING ring, you can''t really look at the ring for very long without it being weird. So it''s really just finding what YOU are going to be happy staring at for hours on end, because you''re the only one who is going to be really looking at it.

I absolutely agree. Asschers are like a little secret world for their owners to live in..."a room of one''s own" to quote Ms. Virginia Woolf...

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
And waller, your rings' facelifts look amazing!
9.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Something silly....

Do any of you ever smash your asscher almost on your eyeball (yes really, like touching your eyelashes...), wiggle it around, and notice how it's like a kaleidoscope, where you can see a billion reflections of your surroundings?

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 11:56:49 PM
Author: wallermama
Something silly....

Do any of you ever smash your asscher almost on your eyeball (yes really, like touching your eyelashes...), wiggle it around, and notice how it''s like a kaleidoscope, where you can see a billion reflections of your surroundings?
No, but now I''m going to!
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow wallermama, that has to be the fastest facelift ever here on PS! And it looks great and really does make that asscher pop.

I love em, so this is an interesting thread. Asschers are like Audrey helpburn...so elegant...sleek lines and you can just get lost staring into their "eyes".

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
This is like a meeting of A.A.

(Asschers Anonymous)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2006 12:07:00 AM

(Asschers Anonymous)

can I be the president :}

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Great thread...I''ve really enjoyed reading all of your opinions and learning more about the good and the bad on asschers.
Well Im not an asscher owner but I will say that since Ron bought his King and has been taking the most beautiful pictures of it I''ve been more and more intrigued with them. I''d love one with a halo...I love the baguette/round beaded halo that Ana posted in gypsy''s thread
30.gif
30.gif

Wallermama...WOW...your ring looks stunning
30.gif
and I loved the clean, classic, simplicity of it before
30.gif

I have to comment on the cleaning aspect...my marquise needs to be cleaned ALL THE TIME in order for it to really shine. It''s annoying...my RB can be dirty all day and it looks just fabulous LOL
30.gif
So I can sympathize with all of you who clean your ring incessantly...I can''t stand a dirty diamond
38.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/11/2006 12:40:06 AM
Author: strmrdr
Date: 5/11/2006 12:07:00 AM

(Asschers Anonymous)

can I be the president :}

"My name is Storm. I am an asscherholic."

I can see us now...smoking and hanging out in a church basement with a circle of folding chairs......but with bling (oh so subtle bling) in our hearts.

BeaudryBabe

Shiny_Rock
WOW, the difference really is amazing, I love it.

Kudos for the quickest remake ever on PS!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I took some shots for my SMTR thread, and thought they were neat showing the different views of an asscher when you wiggle it in the light...but didn''t want to clog up this thread needlessly with my own stuff
2.gif

Asscher Solitaire Pics

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wallermama - I feel as if I''ve been absent from PS for far too long. The second I come back, your shiney platinum bands are satined?!?!? And I LOVE it! Now I''m considering perhaps having the band portion of my Ering and w-band brushed now, I don''t know. I thnk I might let the nature of my hands take it''s course - in my latest round of pics, I can tell that my rings are getting very, very scratched up. Eesh.

OK back to the topic at hand . . .

Cons -

1. No one knows what it is. Even the gentleman who cleaned my ring at Tiffany''s right before we got married complimented me on such a lovely "cushion".

2. Based on budget and time, I knew we were going to be at the sub 1 ct. mark. I don''t think the difference between a .71 ct RB and a .71 Asscher with a bezel halo is that much to me, but I do know it looks smaller than most people assume. Luckily, I have smallish hands!

3. My husband sorted through soooooo many Asschers before he found mine (it had to be exactly square), and delayed the proposal to about t minus 3 weeks before the wedding because of HIS obsession with finding the perfect stone.

4. Not a lot of white light, and when it''s dirty, it''s just kind of dull.

Pros -

1. No one knows what it is!
9.gif
I''m a huge advocate of educating the masses, and I always get these spectacular compliments on it.

2. My husband designed the setting to accentuate the octagonal appearance, and I think it highlights exactly what I love about Asschers.

3. I love the rainbows I''ll catch in it. I can never photograph it well, though. I see flashes and rainbows all of the time when it''s clean, and I can spend a great deal of time just staring into it.

4. I''m as OCD as it gets, so this was the perfect shape for me. Everything in it''s place.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
29.gif

Okay! I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.

I will be honest. It drives me CRAZY that a .75 round is the same mm size as my 1.09 asscher. The lack of spread really gets to me.

The friend of a friend (who I can't stand, but have to deal with because of mutal friends-- we'll call her X) has a 1 carat round that is fairly warm in color and not terribly well cut IMO (facets do look like they line up right when you look at it and it's no where near as sparkly as my coworkers amazing round) but the thing looks freaking huge next to mine... and I thought I was above it... but friend informed me that X has said a couple of times that she does not believe my asscher is anywhere near a carat in size (friend is looking to upgrade so the discussion of size began and I mentioned my re-set plans).

And frankly it's bugged me a few times I've gone setting shopping with all the rounds and how freaking big they look... I WILL just come out and say it.

I think that if I could (without breaking Fiance's heart) I would TOTALLY use the 3.5K for the setting to upgrade this sucker for something with SPREAD. A nice FAT Oval.

Oh yeah.... okay so some of it is the irritation at X's bitchiness ... but I really really have been thinking about it for a while...This is what I could get for the money!
23.gif

I'll be fine in the morning... but just needed to vent for a sec.
20.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/11/2006 11:52:29 PM
Author: Gypsy
29.gif

Okay! I CAN''T TAKE IT ANYMORE.

I will be honest. It drives me CRAZY that a .75 round is the same mm size as my 1.09 asscher. The lack of spread really gets to me.

The friend of a friend (who I can''t stand, but have to deal with because of mutal friends-- we''ll call her X) has a 1 carat round that is fairly warm in color and not terribly well cut IMO (facets do look like they line up right when you look at it and it''s no where near as sparkly as my coworkers amazing round) but the thing looks freaking huge next to mine... and I thought I was above it... but friend informed me that X has said a couple of times that she does not believe my asscher is anywhere near a carat in size (friend is looking to upgrade so the discussion of size began and I mentioned my re-set plans).

And frankly it''s bugged me a few times I''ve gone setting shopping with all the rounds and how freaking big they look... I WILL just come out and say it.

I think that if I could (without breaking Fiance''s heart) I would TOTALLY use the 3.5K for the setting to upgrade this sucker for something with SPREAD. A nice FAT Oval.

Oh yeah.... okay so some of it is the irritation at X''s bitchiness ... but I really really have been thinking about it for a while...This is what I could get for the money!
23.gif

I''ll be fine in the morning... but just needed to vent for a sec.
20.gif
Gypsy,

Are you sure there isn''t a way to bring this issue up with your fiance? It seems to really matter to you, and you shouldn''t feel guilty bringing it up. Not that it is easy, but it is important if you feel like you might continue to be unhappy after the resetting. And then you would have lost the money spent on the setting, when you realize that the stone is still the issue....

If he is willing to have you reset the stone, he is more concerned with your happiness than the fact that it is the setting, or maybe stone, he gave you.

Could you upgrade/change the stone at the place it was purchased from?

Kudos to you for voicing your feelings. I know it is hard to admit out loud. But this is the place to do it!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
That''s exactly what I did with mine....got a satin finish. First everyone compliments how different it is, second it really makes the diamond POP.

Do you have pics of your ring, Angela?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just feel so shallow. I KNOW it's a stupid thing to have matter. And I love my stone, just wish it were bigger. And yes, I know this is the right forum-- thank god!

I can't bring it up to him... because I KNOW he'd tell me to go ahead and upgrade... but he'd be dissapointed. His mother and one of his sisters think I'm abnormal (or ungrateful) for wanting a new setting... they have thier original settings, this was mentioned with particular emphasis a few times. (Of course, his mother permanently alienated her eldest daughter because she didn't think it was 'right' to have a big wedding with a white gown for her second wedding and didn't hesitate to let everyone know it. Narrow minded woman at times.)... and he doesn't care about a lot of things... but he cares about this diamond, because of what we went through financially to get it (we were both straight of school with huge loans and it was tough) and he cares about my changing my name when we get married. He really isn't demanding at all... so when he speaks up and asks for something. I listen.

Yes, I can upgrade... kind of. My jeweler is a diamond broker so he will put in on consignment for me. But we'd lose $$ that way... and that's another issue. The re-set might be perfect. I love art-deco jewelery... and I think it will make the diamond look bigger.

Just needed to vent, I guess.

Thanks for not thinking I'm a spoiled, selfish... ungrateful, freak.
5.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are not an ungrateful freak! I adore asschers myself but I''d need a big one to satisfy my size cravings, and you''ll notice I have a pear, which is more spready than a round of similar weight. So I know how you feel. Let''s see how this halo setting looks, because it may be the perfect thing - it certainly is a stunning design and I''m sure it will knock your socks off. At the very least, it may stave off your size feelings for a good while...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you FG!

Yes, I do see that stunning pear you have winking at me from your AV.
30.gif

I do think that re-setting the asscher is worth it. If it works it satisfies my cravings, without dissapointing my fiance. Compromise. *wink* it's what makes marriage work.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results