shape
carat
color
clarity

Homeschooling Starts Today. Wish Me Luck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I complained (as did other parents) and we got more work. I'm very very upset.
(This is the type of school where 5 year olds get homework & projects to do so yeah it's crazy even without corona) .

This makes me angry. The parents should band together and set whatever limits they feel are best. Good luck and hang in there.

Honestly with all that is going on in the world this is not going to mean much. You do what you feel is best. And too bad for the school administration or whoever makes these crazy rules.

Hold strong with the other parents.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks missy!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am definitely incorporating baking, as my girls love to do that. The lady that came to do the home baking lesson in February has been emailing me simple recipes that they can do by themselves, such as Oat Cookies etc. Yum!

Let me know if you find anything that is really good fun too! Yes, the timetable is a must for me to give them a little structure & reaffirm that this isn't a holiday. My teary child has perked up slightly this afternoon & has got really stuck in to the second portion of learning. She's now playing with her Barbies as we're done for the day. Good luck - us mummy's can do this!

best wishes to you and the kids and everyone else too
my goodness your baking class seems to have been such a long time ago now :(2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have 6 kids home and the school is assigning a rediculous amount of daily school work, that they will be graded on! You have to finish all the work every day.
My teens are working from 9 am- 5 or 6 pm (sometimes later) my younger ones till 2 or 3. Plus tests & reports
Yes I understand this is not a vacation, but I'm not a teacher!
It's waaay too much and stressing us a out.
as somewith no kids and zero involvement with the education system in 30 years forgive me for still having an opinion :lol-2:
and as i am not a parent i only really know how it is to be a kid, not how it is to be a mum

i think for little ones it should just be about keeping them occupied, not getting behind in their reading, some school work for the sake of routine and continuing of good habits so when school back at actual school resumes its a smooth transition for everyone

here the year has bearly begun and they are bringing the school holidays forward, maybe to give time for teachers and the education dept to make sure every one has internet and a tablet ?
i think looking at the whole picture, when the alternitive is a lot more people dying, (im talking about the big picture) if kids have to start the year over at some latter date than so be it

we want the kids to have long healthy happy lives and one year in say 75 is nothing compaired to lossing a family member
i think parents have enough to worry about right now and for that matter so do the kids
parents and children should be encouraged to do the best they can but not with a tonn of pressure

my dad, who was born durring WW2 used to talk about the polio epidemic and with his brothers and sisters they had lessons at home with the glass house set up as a school room
i know the world is a much different place on so many levels now, but all my aunts and uncles and my Dad could all read and write ! and they all grew up healthy and lead full productive lives

just do the best you can
we will all figure out the rest latter on.
enjoy being at home with your children, sit on the floor and play games with them, colour in with them, do baking, read books together, do star jumps and enjoy some nature study out your windows

pat yourself on the back, your kids are safe and healthy, i am sure that is their teacher's number one concern also

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Daisy I wish & agree totally! but the school sent a very strict email about how each day's work will be graded yada yada. I really think they're going about this the wrong way, but unfortunately they're not interested in my input.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
best wishes to you and the kids and everyone else too
my goodness your baking class seems to have been such a long time ago now :(2

Doesn't it just. Life has just exploded so quickly from what we knew. The internet is literally keeping me sane!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Daisy I wish & agree totally! but the school sent a very strict email about how each day's work will be graded yada yada. I really think they're going about this the wrong way, but unfortunately they're not interested in my input.

:(2
just do the best you can
at the end of the day just do a mother's job of keeping them healthy, feed and loved, the rest will come out in the wash

i have heard from my friend who was an elementary school teacher in NJ that the teachers hate all this constant grading and testing

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:(2
just do the best you can
at the end of the day just do a mother's job of keeping them healthy, feed and loved, the rest will come out in the wash

This, with bells on!

I’ve been trying to explain to my two that we can all, children and parents, only do the best we can in completely unforeseen circumstances. The great thing is that everyone is in the same boat and schools will adjust and make allowances as and when they reopen. I tried to explain that they’re much better off than a child who may have badly broken a leg and missed a month of school by being in hospital while everyone else was still attending. I think as long as we mums/dads aim to keep the basics ticking over and keep our children well exercised and feeling secure, then we’re doing a bloody good job in the circumstances!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This, with bells on!

I’ve been trying to explain to my two that we can all, children and parents, only do the best we can in completely unforeseen circumstances. The great thing is that everyone is in the same boat and schools will adjust and make allowances as and when they reopen. I tried to explain that they’re much better off than a child who may have badly broken a leg and missed a month of school by being in hospital while everyone else was still attending. I think as long as we mums/dads aim to keep the basics ticking over and keep our children well exercised and feeling secure, then we’re doing a bloody good job in the circumstances!

Here, here! :appl:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my old mate Kirsty from the telly

i thought looking inside the loo was a brilliant idea

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'm officially p'od

I'm in the same boat as @Polabowla regarding workload, grading assignments and tests etc.

Everything is still fine in my life though, globally - the supermarkets here are fully stocked, kids are still happy/not too freaked out about Covid 19. We are in complete lockdown, but I'm well aware of the fact that I'm in a position of utter luxury with a spacious garden and a house I love and feel comfortable in.

But I got a stern reminder e-mail that the worksheets I have received for my 3 (!!!!) Y/O aren't optional and I'm due to hand in the assignments at least twice a week.

It was like: plant some seeds (which we did!) And take daily photos (nope, we looked at it, but didn't take pics).
Name the body parts of the tortoise
Write your name and the date on a sheet and draw xyz. I'm supposed to hand this in ... I do understand that they try to make sure the kids aren't parked in front of the TV all day. But my 3 y/O doesn't need to write her name each day. We play, we sing, we run, we draw, we paint, we cook, we bake, we do yoga . And she's washing her hands like an MD. For 30 seconds while singing "happy birthday to you" 3 x . That's enough in my book.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I'm officially p'od

I'm in the same boat as @Polabowla regarding workload, grading assignments and tests etc.

Everything is still fine in my life though, globally - the supermarkets here are fully stocked, kids are still happy/not too freaked out about Covid 19. We are in complete lockdown, but I'm well aware of the fact that I'm in a position of utter luxury with a spacious garden and a house I love and feel comfortable in.

But I got a stern reminder e-mail that the worksheets I have received for my 3 (!!!!) Y/O aren't optional and I'm due to hand in the assignments at least twice a week.

It was like: plant some seeds (which we did!) And take daily photos (nope, we looked at it, but didn't take pics).
Write your name and the date on a sheet and draw xyz. I'm supposed to hand this in ... I do understand that they try to make sure the kids aren't parked in front of the TV all day. But my 3 y/O doesn't need to write her name each day. We play, we sing, we run, we draw, we paint, we cook, we bake, we do yoga . And she's washing her hands like an MD. For 30 seconds while singing "happy birthday to you" 3 x . That's enough in my book.

a 3 year old :x2
work sheets not optional
most things should be optional for a 3 year old - some kids arn't even completly potty trained at 3 - that's more important that writting their name at that age
i arrived at school as a 5 year old in 1976 after an irregular attendance at kindy
Seaseeme street ment i had my ABC's and 123's under my belt

i thought at that age they learn through play ?
so young to have such a structured life ?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'm officially p'od

Where on Earth is school even mandatory for a 3 year old? We have 3k and pre-k in NYC but it's not mandatory let alone work for it.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I'm officially p'od

Exactly kipari! One teacher called that oh my child didn't do the online work . Well no, she did a few printed worksheets. Oh she needs to do the online ones so teacher can keep track of her work.
Ok so no worksheets, right?
Wrong- do both!
Fml
Edit; this child is not 3, but still enough is enough!

Last edited:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where on Earth is school even mandatory for a 3 year old? We have 3k and pre-k in NYC but it's not mandatory let alone work for it.

In France!

School's mandatory from age 3. And you start school in September of the year you turn 3. My girl was born mid November. So when school started for her, she was still 2.
I only bring her in for the morning, have her have lunch at home and keep her home for the rest of the day.

I was informed that schools are legally obligated to inform the school district about this. Which they did.

So I'm officially blacklisted now.:lol:

I'm a law abiding citizens, but I'm pretty determined to sue the heck out of them should they decide my kid has to go to school until 4.30pm each day. I'm her mom and I feel it's too much for her still. Period

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In France!

School's mandatory from age 3. And you start school in September of the year you turn 3. My girl was born mid November. So when school started for her, she was still 2.
I only bring her in for the morning, have her have lunch at home and keep her home for the rest of the day.

I was informed that schools are legally obligated to inform the school district about this. Which they did.

I'm a law abiding citizens, but I'm pretty determined to sue the heck out of them should they decide my kid has to go to school until 4.30pm each day. I'm her mom and I feel it's too much for her still. Period

You are doing an AMAZING job. You know your children & you need to look after them & their mental health. I read your posts with my mouth open. Keep going & be guided by your children. School aren't going to sue you at the end of all this because your 3 yo failed to complete work! Education bodies worldwide will have to address how they juggle things to catch up when we return to school & that's THIER job.

I am mostly being led by my children this wk. Some days they've done the bare minimum & then yesterday, they both spent a few more hours than expected of them, one doing a project she was engrossed in & the other practicing her times tables recollection speed with a timer on Alexa. Regardless, they are happy & as a parent, that is my main priority.

Obviously what is expected of the children in the UK is nothing like in France, for which I'm thankful, as I am not a teacher & wouldn't know where to start. All I can do is ensure they stick to their schedule, help them when they get stuck & keep in touch with their teachers. And keep them settled & happy.

Keep going - you're doing great x

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are doing an AMAZING job. You know your children & you need to look after them & their mental health. I read your posts with my mouth open. Keep going & be guided by your children. School aren't going to sue you at the end of all this because your 3 yo failed to complete work! Education bodies worldwide will have to address how they juggle things to catch up when we return to school & that's THIER job.

I am mostly being led by my children this wk. Some days they've done the bare minimum & then yesterday, they both spent a few more hours than expected of them, one doing a project she was engrossed in & the other practicing her times tables recollection speed with a timer on Alexa. Regardless, they are happy & as a parent, that is my main priority.

Obviously what is expected of the children in the UK is nothing like in France, for which I'm thankful, as I am not a teacher & wouldn't know where to start. All I can do is ensure they stick to their schedule, help them when they get stuck & keep in touch with their teachers. And keep them settled & happy.

Keep going - you're doing great x

thank you so much @Alex T ! You're right we're all doing as best as we can and the main priority is to keep our children happy and healthy .

I'm baking bread with te 3 y/o and the others are in video calls with their teachers atm.

Have a wonderful day team T!!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@kipari I agree with everything AlexT wrote - there is no way school should be harassing you over work for a three year old, it’s verging on insane in the current situation. I completely agree with you - three year olds are too young to be in formal education anyway. Playschool, fine, but not formal ‘lessons’ with a work output requirement.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve been so worried about managing the home-schooling that I haven’t really, until now, thought about managing the school holidays. My two finish today for a three and a half week long Easter holiday. Three and a half weeks!!! We’re allowed out of the house for one hour a day. That leaves 23 hours to fill (minus sleep) with two energetic boys. I will have the same look in my eyes by the end as Jack Nicholson in The Shining!

So far I’m planning some ‘day trips’ - we would have gone to the seaside for a day so we’ll get out the old paddling pool and make mudcastles in the flower bed and have a picnic lunch. We’d have gone to some minigolf places, so we’ll now the lawn short and make a golf course with obstacles and flower pots (but may have to play using hockey sticks!). We went to Paris for a long weekend a few Easters ago and had charicatures done at Mont-Martre, so we’ll do our own Covid Charicatures and frame them for the playroom. I’ve also bought the Taj Mahal Lego set that one child has wanted for years but I’ve always said was too expensive. It’s the cheapest I’ve ever seen it (someone in LEGO is an angel!) but still ludicrously expensive for plastic pieces, but it’s nearly 6000 parts and will keep us occupied for ages. I figured we’re saving money on the day trips and activities we would have had in normal circumstances. Other than that, lots of reading, films, chatting, table tennis. Small,daily chunks to plan I think will be key to maintaining sanity! Any other ideas gladly welcome!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure most of you have seen this, but in case you haven't, I couldn't stop laughing

LOL that was a good rant! I love that mother. She's real.

@kipari @Alex T @Polabowla @lissyflo thinking of you and all the mothers out there dealing with home schooling.
Hang in there ! And you set the limits. Not the teachers. These are weird times and adapt we must and there are limits. (((Hugs))).

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo That is a LONG Easter break! We only get 2 weeks & have another week "at school" yet.

I had to get my girls organised with work this morning (after our PE lesson with Joe Bloody Wicks, obviously) & head to the supermarket. I figured it'd be quieter than weekend, as essential workers will be shopping then. Well it WAS quieter & half the car park was empty, but we had to queue in a very long, wide apart snake fashion to get in. They were (very sensibly, of course) only letting in 30 people at once, so it was a one out, one in basis. I stood leaning on my freshly sanitised trolley outside in the sun for FIFTY EIGHT MINUTES.

On the plus side, it was super easy to shop, very quiet, the shelves were fully stocked & I did buy a few extra bits that I wouldn't ordinarily do, as I've been avoiding any stockpiling, just so I don't have to stand back in that queue anytime soon!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In France!

That's just too much. I send my son to school by choice (started right when he turned 3) but it's an outdoor play based school. I have never seen a "worksheet" come home for him. They do some "academic" content but it's mostly play based (as it should be at that age). Yikes.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Problem is my kids get so anxious with the school work; but anxious if they don't do it all.
My 9 yr old is getting stress stomach aches.
I keep telling them they dont need to finish but they're worried not to.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those in UK, one week down, well done!

DK :appl:

Have done 5 Joe "Bloody" Wicks classes, my abs hurt all the way down to my pubic bone & last night I could hardly stir the saucepan as my shoulders were crying.

But.... We have survived! All set school work has been done, projects started & we've had lots of fresh air. I'm trying to ignore the rumblings I'm hearing from Dr friends about this lockdown lasting until January & taking it week by week. But I'm proud of these kids right now.

And I've just poured a large wine.

Thanks @dk168 !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Problem is my kids get so anxious with the school work; but anxious if they don't do it all.
My 9 yr old is getting stress stomach aches.
I keep telling them they dont need to finish but they're worried not to.

this is not right
little kiddies need less to worry about not more
let the grown ups do most of the worrying

this is a quote from i think he is head of the NX principle's association

"If there's any silver lining that comes from this – certainly from an educative perspective – it's that opportunity to think about putting the devices down and thinking creatively about what you can do in a home that's unique about being in a home. That's the opportunity."

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Alex, glad to hear it has gone ok. I’m in the UK too and have struggled this week with the amount of work school have given my son (age 7). Today after Mr Wicks at 8:30 (not live as we are behind), we worked solidly from 9-3 (with an hour for lunch and a 20 min morning break). This would be fine if he were an only child but he isn’t. Most of the work uses the computer which he needs a lot of assistance with, so my four year old has been neglected in comparison. Today we were more organised and it was hard but the best day of the week. I want to keep up with it as I suspect this ‘lock in’ could go on for ages and home schooling might become compulsory. Anyway my point was that I think UK schools are variable as to what they are providing and expecting but I suspect that will change in the weeks to come. My son and I do not mind being at home, but my daughter is struggling as she is sociable and at 4 cannot really understand what is happening, that is hard to watch.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My little niece (3) looked at my sister this morning and said: "go for a walk, go for a walk...is that all that's left for me??"

(Lockdown day 8, playgrounds closed, :cry2:1hour walks /day allowed)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My little niece (3) looked at my sister this morning and said: "go for a walk, go for a walk...is that all that's left for me??"

(Lockdown day 8, playgrounds closed, :cry2:1hour walks /day allowed)

:cry:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results