shape
carat
color
clarity

homer J and other who have helped me so far....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
Thanks for asking how the search is going Homer J. Its starting to get interesting now.

At this point I have an offer at 9,000.
Gia cert
7.19 X 7.24 X 4.57 mm
1.50 carat
debth 63.3
table 56
lightly thick to thick girdcle
no cutlet
polish very good
symmetry good
clarity vs2
H color
plus 2 1/4 cart side stone set in platinum

My worries are that its too deep. I still dont know how deep it really is though. Im think because of the low offer their must be something wrong here. but we will see.
I just talked to them today, he did not have the pavilliaon or crown angle measurement. SO I told him I need a sarin report. He said he did have a sarin maching so he would have 1 of his buddies look at it and get back to me in a week.
I asked him if the diamond was an ideal cut. His words were,"premium" but very close or something to that effect. Then he said on an ags scale it would be close to a 1 or 2.

So, Now Im waiting for him to call me in a week, while I have another jeweler trying to compete with him.
best offer from this other jeweler is for the same setting etc and the same 9k
H SI1 1.50 close to ideal and

F SI2 1.42 ideal

Do you think im making any progress, or just confusing myself even more??

thanks everyone!

F

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Very confusing????????

But that's the fun. Make it more confusing by looking at all you can, that's the only way to straighten things out.

If you are worried about it and haven't seen it, make sure the return policy works in your favor (full refund, no questions asked) and try to have it appraised prior to finalizing the sale. An independent appraisal can help put your mind at ease with an honest knowledgeable opinion and evaluation of the value of the diamond. This way you will know for sure whether or not you are really getting a good deal. Appraisals aren't very expensive, especially when you are working with a 10k budget.

Good luck.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The whole process is confusing by nature. Get the Sarin's on ALL the stones you are considering. Then you can compare them side by side and make the most educated final decision. If you have to wait for a Sarin on one, ask for the others now so that if they too need to find someone with a machine, they can all work within your one week window.

SI2 may be tricky, would watch out with that one, if it is 100% eye clean, it could be a great deal.

Also be cautious with the use of the word 'ideal'. Someone's version of 'ideal' may not be your version or vice versa. Even AGS 0 does not guarantee 'ideal'. There have been some AGS 1 and AGS 2 stones that score better on the HCA than a few AGS 0's I've input. Interesting eh?

Would agree that you should get the stone independently appraised, either before the sale (sale contingent upon positive results) or after within your return policy time window. If it comes down to 2 stones, you may take both of them for appraisal to make your final decision. But once you get the Sarin results, people can offer more information AND Rich or somone can likely do a DiamCalc to help you choose.

Good luck!

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
Mara that sound good. I will let you know when I get the sarin reports.

Question, what is the HCA report. How is it determined. What makes it better then the aga scale?

from aga reports, have you ever heard of a triple 0 on the cut scale???

Also I do understand the work "ideal" means nothing coming out of these jewelers mouths, but I swear to god, everyone of them has used this as one of the sales weapons to me. They throw it around with out any evidence. In fact,one store told me I was like an engineer. Everyone seems to be beating around the bush, I just dont have a good feeling about this whole thing.

I hope Im not offending anyone, cause that not my intent whatsoever, in fact, This message board has been by far the most useful tool in my search.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Take a look at Pricescope's tutorial on diamonds if you have not already:
https://www.pricescope.com/tutorial.asp

It has all the info you asked about.

AGS 000 means 0 cut, D color, IF clarity. But alot of times people use it loosely to describe 0 cut, 0 polish, 0 symmetry. But technically unless the stone is an AGS 0, and D IF then its not an AGS 000.

AGA recognizes grades 1-4 as noted on their charts.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
I got that engineer line too, they must teach it to these clowns at sales school. Isn't it funny how they change there entire approach once you start throwing around the numbers and asking questions. They constantly try to deflect them and say..."while I see you have done a lot of research and know a lot more than the average consumer, you must know that numbers really aren't that important and you can't believe everything you read on the internet." I love it.

Mara, you give a lot of good advice, keep up the great work.

Besides, what's wrong with engineers.....hah, hah.
tongue.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/9/2003 1:11:22 PM Novice Fire wrote:

At this point I have an offer at 9,000.
Gia cert
7.19 X 7.24 X 4.57 mm
1.50 carat
debth 63.3
table 56
lightly thick to thick girdcle
no cutlet
polish very good
symmetry good
clarity vs2
H color
plus 2 1/4 cart side stone set in platinum

My worries are that its too deep. I still dont know how deep it really is though.

----------------

Some of the depth (which is 63.3%) appears to be in the girdle. This is not necessarily bad; but, you *are* paying for carat weight unseen.

Is this stone already set? As others have said, getting the crown & pavillion angles (or at least percentages) could help you predict preformance. If you plug the numbers in the HCA cut advisor (tick the header at top), the result will guide you a little better.

Good luck.

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
Thanks fire & Ice

what do you mean by carat weight unseen?
I assume that some of the weight 1.50 is bottom heavy and isnt really every seen. Does this mean that 1.50 looks like only 1 carat??

Novice Fire

Rough_Rock
This diamond is not set fire & ice.
I am working on geting the pavilion & crown degreses. Then I plan on using the HCA calculator. Hope that works for me!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Carat weight unseen means that the depth is a little deep and that there is some ctw lost in there that you will not see up top in the stone. Your 1.50c may look more like a 1.40c stone. My stone is a 1.23c, but the diameter is 7.15-7.19 due to its larger table, shallower crown which means it looks like a 1.35c stone. So your diameter of 7.19-7.24 will look more like a 1.40c than a 1.50c.

That is why people mention you are paying for extra carat weight that you really never get to see or appreciate. But then again, this price you are getting quoted is far below an excellent cut 1.50c would get, so you are not paying extra for it anyway. It just depends on what your preference is...well cut 1.50c for more $$ or a deep 1.40 looking 1.50c for less $$. Some people just want to be able to say its a 1.50c.
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
All that said, Yes, you are not seeing carat weight in the spread of the stone. My stone is 62.1%. Much of the extra depth in the girdle. Something *I* don't mind. The girdle can be a protective nature. In my large stone, I like it. Quick frankly, before I even went w/ the go ahead look see on the stone, something that was recommended.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results