shape
carat
color
clarity

Homeowners Insurance or Jewelers Mutual??

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Forgive me if this has been asked before, Im new but have been lurking and gathering all your incredible info for months now. We are very close to purchasing a round brilliant AGS ideal H&A in a Tacori setting and I would like to know if its better to just underwrite in in my homeowners policy or go with a Jewelry insurance like JM??
I had JM insurance on a previous piece, but let it run out when I stopped wearing it as it wasnt worth that much to replace vs paying the premium for years and years..this particular stone and setting is much more pricey for us and I do need insurance to feel comfortable wearing it. Thoughts?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
If the policies are the same (replacement, deductible, etc.) I'd go with whatever is less. Which will probably be your homeowners. I have a personal valuable property policy for my e-ring with my homeowner's insurance carrier (USAA) but it is a standalone policy for that item of jewelry. There is no deductible and since I have lost my e-ring in the past and was very satisfied with how USAA handled it I went that route again. It was $100 cheaper per year for the same coverage.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I would look at prices / policies. I don't think there is a strict right answer...it's really what coverage / cost tradeoff works for you.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It will depend on your items, what type of coverage you want, and sometimes your total policy. JM has a steep discount for items you keep in a safety deposit box (suitable especially for heirlooms you don't wear). When I looked into USAA, they did not have this as an option.

nope

Rough_Rock
I just bought a policy from USAA the other night. Glad you had/have a good exp with USAA. I am paying roughly around 12 bucks a month for my gf's ring she doesn't know about :)

The process from USAA was painless
nfowife|1313606187|2992727 said:
If the policies are the same (replacement, deductible, etc.) I'd go with whatever is less. Which will probably be your homeowners. I have a personal valuable property policy for my e-ring with my homeowner's insurance carrier (USAA) but it is a standalone policy for that item of jewelry. There is no deductible and since I have lost my e-ring in the past and was very satisfied with how USAA handled it I went that route again. It was $100 cheaper per year for the same coverage.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
nope|1313632788|2993048 said:
I just bought a policy from USAA the other night. Glad you had/have a good exp with USAA. I am paying roughly around 12 bucks a month for my gf's ring she doesn't know about :)

The process from USAA was painless
nfowife|1313606187|2992727 said:

Interesting...USAA seems that it may even be cheaper than homeowners. Thanks for sharing!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great question. I've been wondering myself if I should switch to a separate policy or keep it on my homeowners.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results