shape
carat
color
clarity

Home Invasion Suspects Aim Gun at Child-Father Grabs Shotgun

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
PORT RICHEY, FL.- Four suspects broke into a home wanting cash and pills and pointed a gun at an infant child with the intent to kill if they did not get what they asked for. At one point they pistol whipped a woman inside the home.

"I have a gun and know how to use it" One suspect told the resident as he pointed it at the child. said Sheriff Chris Nocco. The Sheriff also believes the house was targeted, and the suspects [k]new what they were after in the home. The homeowner exchanged fire with the suspects shooting one in the back. Three other suspects fled leaving the wounded suspect at the scene. Three are in custody with one still at large."

see video.

I'm starting this as a separate thread because there are those that will never know about this if I post it on page 3 of the other thread.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Re: Home Invasion Suspects Aim Gun at Child-Father Grabs Sho

Excellent! It's a pity all of the suspects weren't shot.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

amc80|1403037673|3695184 said:

:appl: My thoughts exactly.

Good for him! If that is what criminals had to face every time they did something like that, there would be far fewer people trying such things.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TooPatient|1403045549|3695281 said:
amc80|1403037673|3695184 said:

:appl: My thoughts exactly.

Good for him! If that is what criminals had to face every time they did something like that, there would be far fewer people trying such things.

AMEN! Thanks for posting, MZ!! :wavey: :appl:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

anti-gun comments in 3-2-1... :lol: :lol:

justginger

Ideal_Rock

There are an average of >40 children accidentally shot every day in the US. That's a lot of separate threads. :saint:

justginger

Ideal_Rock

msop04|1403047194|3695296 said:

Like clockwork. :lol:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

justginger|1403047350|3695300 said:
There are an average of >40 children accidentally shot every day in the US. That's a lot of separate threads. :saint:

Reliable link to where you got this info because I am calling BS.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

justginger|1403047419|3695302 said:
msop04|1403047194|3695296 said:

Like clockwork. :lol:

That was pretty good timing, justginger!! :lol: :lol: ;))

justginger

Ideal_Rock

redwood66|1403047926|3695315 said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/11/guns-child-deaths-more-than-cancer/2073259/

15,500 in 2010, according to this. The official CDC figures illustrate overall numbers of gun injuries, and depending on years that sits between 14,000-19,000. I would assume more children are accidentally injured than adults, based on their lesser reasoning and comprehension of gun safety, so 10,000 fits with the CDC's figures very reasonably.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

justginger|1403048490|3695324 said:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/11/guns-child-deaths-more-than-cancer/2073259/

15,500 in 2010, according to this. The official CDC figures illustrate overall numbers of gun injuries, and depending on years that sits between 14,000-19,000. I would assume more children are accidentally injured than adults, based on their lesser reasoning and comprehension of gun safety, so 10,000 fits with the CDC's figures very reasonably.

This was in the article-
Accidental firearms injuries have been on the decline nationwide. In 2001, 5,091 children ages 19 and under were injured by a firearm. Those numbers steadily decreased through 2009, when 3,587 children under 19 were reported injured by a firearm, according to the defense fund.

ETA- I wonder what they consider an injury? Would that include being hit my a BB gun? Because I know many people who were hit with those as kids, usually on purpose, usually screwing around. It hurts but doesn't even puncture the skin.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks JG because I want to read what you are reading.

And this is the problem with these accidents...

excerpt

— Thirty-three percent of U.S. households have a gun, and half of gun-owning households do not lock up their guns, including 40 percent of households with kids under age 18.

justginger

Ideal_Rock

One thing that puzzles me about this article though, is the fact that accidental gun injuries in children had been declining to 2009 (the article itself clearly stated that). Then the very next year the figure goes up by a factor of FIVE?! What in the world was happening in 2010? Whatever it was, that's most alarming. Though to be honest, the lower figure of like 3600 injuries per year is still not ok with me - 10 children shot every day. :nono:

justginger

Ideal_Rock

redwood66|1403048797|3695330 said:

excerpt

— Thirty-three percent of U.S. households have a gun, and half of gun-owning households do not lock up their guns, including 40 percent of households with kids under age 18.

Indeed. That is why I support the requirement by the WA Police Dept that you must have a gun cabinet installed by a professional (signed off by the professional), and you must allow the police to inspect it when you first receive your gun license. Otherwise you can only store your firearm at a range that HAS been inspected and signed off.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

justginger|1403049069|3695334 said:

excerpt

Indeed. That is why I support the requirement by the WA Police Dept that you must have a gun cabinet installed by a professional (signed off by the professional), and you must allow the police to inspect it when you first receive your gun license. Otherwise you can only store your firearm at a range that HAS been inspected and signed off.

But do you actually have to use it?

justginger

Ideal_Rock

amc80|1403048698|3695327 said:

This was in the article-
Accidental firearms injuries have been on the decline nationwide. In 2001, 5,091 children ages 19 and under were injured by a firearm. Those numbers steadily decreased through 2009, when 3,587 children under 19 were reported injured by a firearm, according to the defense fund.

ETA- I wonder what they consider an injury? Would that include being hit my a BB gun? Because I know many people who were hit with those as kids, usually on purpose, usually screwing around. It hurts but doesn't even puncture the skin.

I wondered the same. There was an article where a 3 year old shot and killed his three year old twin (can you even imagine?!) and the 'shooter' had hand injuries due to the process. I wonder if he is counted in as 'injured' by firearm.

One thing I CAN be certain of is how they define dead. And twice the deaths of cancer, five times those of heart disease, and many times that of pathogen infection is truly devastating. Gun death is statistically a legitimate risk of childhood these days, it appears.

justginger

Ideal_Rock

amc80|1403049209|3695336 said:
justginger|1403049069|3695334 said:

excerpt

But do you actually have to use it?

Legally, yes. Will they spontaneously invade your property to check? No. But chances are significantly higher that you will store your firearm correctly if you have one, versus if you don't. They're just doing what they can to limit gun violence and it is one piece of the puzzle to making gun ownership a privilege of the responsible. Of the 2 people I know in WA that have guns, yes, they both secure all of them, and their ammunition, in their safes.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can find no link in that article to where the reporter got the data. But they did say it was from the Brady Campaign so I would need to review what they are calling what. The Brady Campaign is just as bad at skewing data to their benefit which has been done by the NRA at times.

ETA who is the WA police dept? Do you mean WSP - Washington State Police? I would never vote for what you say they are suggesting at all.

Frankly the test everyone should have to take is the one that allows ability to procreate in the first place. But stupid people piss me off and I am having a doozy of a day today.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66|1403049664|3695342 said:
I can find no link in that article to where the reporter got the data. But they did say it was from the Brady Campaign so I would need to review what they are calling what. The Brady Campaign is just as bad at skewing data to their benefit which has been done by the NRA at times.

ETA who is the WA police dept? Do you mean WSP - Washington State Police? I would never vote for what you say they are suggesting at all.

I haven't heard of it. (I live in WA state)

But then I don't follow the half dozen unreasonable (or unenforceable) things that are going at any given time. They (thankfully) always fail. If it looks like they stand any chance at all, then I get interested and spread actual facts to interested people.

ETA: Redwood, are you in WA too?

justginger

Ideal_Rock

Here you go, this breaks it down by deaths and injuries, along with the source (the CDC): http://issuu.com/cdfweb/docs/protect_children_not_guns_2013

The WA Police Dept is the law enforcement of Western Australia, so don't worry about fighting the storage regulations. :))

Edit: can you explain why you would be opposed to a measure intended to prevent children and criminals accessing firearms, which is allegedly the source of most of the problems with gun violence? If a criminal here can not obtain a firearm legally, burglary is their only other option. Why would we prevent their legal access while not striving to prevent their illegal access?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

justginger|1403050096|3695349 said:

Here you go, this breaks it down by deaths and injuries, along with the source (the CDC): http://issuu.com/cdfweb/docs/protect_children_not_guns_2013

The WA Police Dept is the law enforcement of Western Australia, so don't worry about fighting the storage regulations. :))

Ah! Okay. Thanks for clarifying.

Interesting thing to note about storage -- MANY gun safes are easy to remove in tact if someone is motivated. Even the large ones.
They should be (at least) bolted in place and a lot of people I know take the securing even more seriously than that. I won't detail, but it is an interesting thing to consider as many people figure that a safe is actually "secure" if installed according to directions.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Edit: can you explain why you would be opposed to a measure intended to prevent children and criminals accessing firearms, which is allegedly the source of most of the problems with gun violence? If a criminal here can not obtain a firearm legally, burglary is their only other option. Why would we prevent their legal access while not striving to prevent their illegal access?

See my other comment about securing safes. In order to make them more secure, you often have to install in a way other than what the directions say. A "professional" is supposed to install according to the manufacturer's directions.

Also, there are other ways to safely secure your guns than "gun safes" that are as secure (or more) and cost substantially less.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you read on page 27 of that report you linked above 86% of the gun deaths were of the 15-19 age group and were homicides. Which would to me mean gang violence. So clean up those cities with out of control gangs.

To answer your question I have a perfectly good gun safe - two actually - and no one has access to them but my DH and I. My problem with the AU law is that it requires registration and an inspector and government decides how it is installed?

justginger

Ideal_Rock

TooPatient|1403050373|3695351 said:

Interesting thing to note about storage -- MANY gun safes are easy to remove in tact if someone is motivated. Even the large ones.
They should be (at least) bolted in place and a lot of people I know take the securing even more seriously than that. I won't detail, but it is an interesting thing to consider as many people figure that a safe is actually "secure" if installed according to directions.

That's exactly why they must be installed by a professional, and then double checked by the police department. There's no sense in installing something that is non-functional.

The gun regulations here would make your head spin: http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Ourservices/PoliceLicensingServices/Firearms/Licenceinformation/tabid/1902/Default.aspx :lol: I love them. :bigsmile:

justginger

Ideal_Rock

redwood66|1403050722|3695354 said:

If you read on page 27 of that report you linked above 86% of the gun deaths were of the 15-19 age group and were homicides. Which would to me mean gang violence. So clean up those cities with out of control gangs.

To answer your question I have a perfectly good gun safe - two actually - and no one has access to them but my DH and I. My problem with the AU law is that it requires registration and an inspector and government decides how it is installed?

Another source I read states that due to a broad definition of 'homicide' (death by another), many accidental shooting are placed in that category by default. They are not murder, but they are death due to another's actions. So technically that 86% could ALL be accidental shootings. Unlikely, but a percentage certainly would be. The majority of them took place in a home environment, so to me that excludes the premise of gang violence in those cases.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

justginger|1403050938|3695357 said:

That's exactly why they must be installed by a professional, and then double checked by the police department. There's no sense in installing something that is non-functional.

The gun regulations here would make your head spin: http://www.police.wa.gov.au/Ourservices/PoliceLicensingServices/Firearms/Licenceinformation/tabid/1902/Default.aspx :lol: I love them. :bigsmile:

I am sorry JG I just cannot read it. :D My head might come off.

justginger

Ideal_Rock

redwood66|1403051284|3695364 said:
justginger|1403050938|3695357 said:

I am sorry JG I just cannot read it. :D My head might come off.

I completely understand - it is a true health hazard for you. :lol: It works for the population here, we are happy and safe (overall), so be it. If Tony Abbott, that poophead of a man, ever turns into a despot, I will be seeking your assistance. :bigsmile:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

justginger|1403051260|3695363 said:
redwood66|1403050722|3695354 said:

Another source I read states that due to a broad definition of 'homicide' (death by another), many accidental shooting are placed in that category by default. They are not murder, but they are death due to another's actions. So technically that 86% could ALL be accidental shootings. Unlikely, but a percentage certainly would be. The majority of them took place in a home environment, so to me that excludes the premise of gang violence in those cases.

So the home environment would include a drive-by while the victims are standing in their yard or inside their living room. I am sorry but to rule out 86% and say they could ALL be accidental shootings does not show an understanding of gang violence or its affect on these numbers in the report.

ETA the report also says 70% of them were assault and 16% were accidental.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

so, what is the plan of action when someone waves a gun in your child's face?
I'd love an answer from the anti's.....
obviously, the guy is in the house and has a gun in your baby's face...so no time to call 911.
what do you do?
these people were targeted per LE....and, yes, it could happen to you, too: so what is it you plan to do?
not think about it because you're convinced you live in a great neighborhood and things like this happen to other people?
wishful thinking, I fear.

justginger, I'm really glad you love being in WA in AU.
I'm glad the move worked out for you.
but if you were living here right now and you had this situation, just what the heck would you do to protect your child...if you had one, that is.

or does one just accept it and hope that when/if you hand over the requested items they don't blow your kid away? and you?

your choice. not the choice I made after the birth of my daughter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results