shape
carat
color
clarity

Home decor help!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I need your help ladies and gents. My husband and I just suck at picking colors, or any home decor period. We recently sold our townhome and we're moving into a house which is much bigger, and it's in the renovation stages, we're moving in this weekend. But, I'd like to get some advice on paint color etc, and furniture....I hope there's an interior designer among all you PSers!

1) We picked a chocolate finish walnut floor for the downstairs, and a mocha (fairly dark) carpet for the upstairs because those colors are "rich". However, they clash with the existing light butter walls! I want to repaint. Please give me a few colors that would match so I have some options for different rooms?

2) The Kitchen cabinets have an antique finish (see sample picture below). It's not our actual kitchen but similar. What type of dinette set and hutch would go with a kitchen like that? My taste is a little more contemporary (think Crate and Barrel). My husband wants to go the shabby chic route to match the cabinets, but I don't...we need a compromise somewhere. Hope you guys can help.. Show me some pix if you have any ideas to share!

antique.jpg

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
*bump*

I guess I should have titled this another way for the bling crowd: IF I had a chocolate brown diamond, what color gemstones and metal should I pair with it? haha.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like brown and yellow together. I wouldn't be able to have all the rooms be the same color tho. Do you like colors or neutrals?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I like color, but since the brown is a rich dark color, I want to pick something neutral for all the rooms, and they can each have a different accent wall.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the floors will be a darker brown I think a cream or light tan/beige color would probably look best on the walls. I'm not sure what kind of dinette set will go with that style cabinet...those seem like they'd be hard to match! I would imagine regular wood in a similar tone as the cabinets would look nice, though.

I think there are a few interior designers here...heraanderson is one. Maybe she can chime in?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I found real estate pictures of my townhome, and my new house. You can see the difference in styles. Our townhome kitchen was recently re-done to suit my taste, so you guys can get an idea of what I mean by comptempory (not too modern though). The new house as an "older-style" antique-stained kitchen.I'm so tempted to rip out the kitchen and start fresh. I don't know how to decorate around that antique stain.

kitchen.jpg

new.jpg

tigian

Ideal_Rock

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Jaysonsmom,
Off the top of my head I am wondering if the paint colors aren't working because of the undertones in the paint. Can you look at your wood and carpet and tell me if you see ay pinkish tones in them?

I definitely see that your kitchen is more on the traditional side. I wouldn't really call it shabby chic but more on the rustic side. Its hard to tell because the picture is so small. Are you wanting to make some major changes? Change the cabinets etc? Or do you wish to work with what you have and incorporate some contemporary elements in the design? Both can work, so I'm just curious.

Where is the dining room in relation to the kitchen?

Let me know and I'll start thinking.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Jaysonsmom, I have no talent when it comes to decorating so I will leave that to the expert (its so cool that you can just ask a question and an interior decorator responds within hours----gotta love Pricescope :D ) but I wanted to say congrats on your new home!!! We moved from a townhome to a big colonial about 2 years ago and I am STILL not done redecorating. Good luck!

And to add, I actually LOVE your new cabinets!!!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
heraanderson said:
Jaysonsmom,
Off the top of my head I am wondering if the paint colors aren't working because of the undertones in the paint. Can you look at your wood and carpet and tell me if you see ay pinkish tones in them?

I definitely see that your kitchen is more on the traditional side. I wouldn't really call it shabby chic but more on the rustic side. Its hard to tell because the picture is so small. Are you wanting to make some major changes? Change the cabinets etc? Or do you wish to work with what you have and incorporate some contemporary elements in the design? Both can work, so I'm just curious.

Thanks heranderson! THe dining room is on the other side of the wall behind the fridge. The breakfast (dinette) area would be right in the forefront of the picture, near the barstools (which were not included with the sale fo the house), so I need to get barstool ideas too!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom said:
heraanderson said:
Jaysonsmom,

Thanks heranderson! THe dining room is on the other side of the wall behind the fridge. The breakfast (dinette) area would be right in the forefront of the picture, near the barstools (which were not included with the sale fo the house), so I need to get barstool ideas too!

YES! I think the mocha carpet does have a slight pink undertone, so the walls (light buttery yellow) are totally clashing!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I also have dark floors in my house, and the wall colors I love are the light soft blues, dove gray, a true navy.

For the hutch, have you considered going custom? I ask this only because I've found that thinking outside of the big box stores can make it easier.

I would probably go to a kitchen design center and build a hutch from scratch with them. You can pick a darker stained wood for the modern feel, but pull in the "shabby chic" with leaded glass uppers as well as the detailing of the cabinets themselves. We went this route when I built the butlers pantry and it was so much easier then trying to find what I was looking for. You can add crown details, different glazes, legs, inner workings for storage--you can even build in a wine fridge! If you look on the inside of one of the drawers or doors of the cabinets, you can probably even figure out what company made the cabinetry to begin with, if tying them together is a big deal, you can work with the same company and pick the same elevation, just a select a stain more to your liking.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom|1305245585|2920142 said:
jaysonsmom said:
heraanderson said:
Jaysonsmom,

YES! I think the mocha carpet does have a slight pink undertone, so the walls (light buttery yellow) are totally clashing!

You'll have to find a warmer beige that will coordinate with the slight pink undertones. Gray is a color that works really well as well. As far as accent walls, I only suggest them when there aren't many architectural features present. I see some lovely architectural features in your home, so I would re-think that option.
I will go and search for warmer beiges. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking you could look into Benjamin Moore, Shaker Beige, Bradstreet Beige and Alexandria Beige and any of the other colors on the paint strip. If you're using a certain brand, let me know.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
You could keep the cabinets and incorporate stainless steel appliances and perhaps more contemporary lighting for a rustic/contemporary look. This kitchen is a good example of this:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/87308/_trid=aHRuc3B6O2xpbGlhYW5kZXJzb25AaG90bWFpbC5jb20/Encinitas-remodel-eclectic-kitchen-san-diego/

I like the barstools in this kitchen. The cabinets remind me of your new kitchen and the furniture reminds me of crate and barrel:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/143895/_trid=aHRuc3B6O2xpbGlhYW5kZXJzb25AaG90bWFpbC5jb20/Adams-eclectic-kitchen-portland

Hera

Ideal_Rock
For the dining room, you could continue the eclectic vibe with contemporary and rustic elements.
I love the idea of a farmhouse style table and stainless steel Emco chairs. If they're too hard, perhaps some simple Parsons chairs. This style would allow for a great contemporary chandelier.

Here's a few examples:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/98118/_trid=aHRuc3B6O2xpbGlhYW5kZXJzb25AaG90bWFpbC5jb20/Greenlee-Kitchen-traditional-dining-room-austin
I know the kitchen is vastly different, but I think the table and chairs are nice:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/83194/_trid=aHRuc3B6O2xpbGlhYW5kZXJzb25AaG90bWFpbC5jb20/The-Neoteric-Classic-modern-kitchen-hawaii

http://www.houzz.com/photos/56671/_trid=aHRuc3B6O2xpbGlhYW5kZXJzb25AaG90bWFpbC5jb20/KitchenLab-eclectic-dining-room-other-metros

As far a china hutch, have you considered a sideboard and a piece of abstract art above it?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
heraanderson|1305249590|2920213 said:
You could keep the cabinets and incorporate stainless steel appliances and perhaps more contemporary lighting for a rustic/contemporary look. This kitchen is a good example of this:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/87308/_trid=aHRuc3B6O2xpbGlhYW5kZXJzb25AaG90bWFpbC5jb20/Encinitas-remodel-eclectic-kitchen-san-diego/

I like the barstools in this kitchen. The cabinets remind me of your new kitchen and the furniture reminds me of crate and barrel:
http://www.houzz.com/photos/143895/_trid=aHRuc3B6O2xpbGlhYW5kZXJzb25AaG90bWFpbC5jb20/Adams-eclectic-kitchen-portland

The first link is great! I did buy a whole suite of stainless appliances. They will be delivered this weekend. I wasn't sure how they'd look in an traditional looking kitchen. I like the color of the barstools, probably should not have fabric there. It faces the center island with cook top, so I'm afraid the fabric my get yucky after a while.

I like the idea of gray walls, I was thinking of a grayish purple for one of the rooms :) Maybe I'm not as clueless as I thought. Funny thing....we love the taupe/lavender walls of our townhome, but our realtor said that many people came in and said they love the townhome, but the first thing they'd do would be to repaint!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dangit I tried to stay away from that website Hera! Now I've signed up and have 3 pictures in my idea book already. JD's going to strangle me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results