shape
carat
color
clarity

Home Buying getting me stressed

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KKJohnson if that house is in the area I think it is just judging from the picture, there have been a lot of flips and new builds recently and I suspect that it is going to be one of the next areas to gentrify, especially if the city actually gets serious about revitalizing Fair Park.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@KKJohnson if that house is in the area I think it is just judging from the picture, there have been a lot of flips and new builds recently and I suspect that it is going to be one of the next areas to gentrify, especially if the city actually gets serious about revitalizing Fair Park.

That’s what I am thinking and hoping for, there is a house on the lot next door that wasn’t there in google maps, it’s a brand new build and we drove around the area seeing lots of other new builds. I really wanted to stay in the Cedar Crest area for the close shopping but those house foundations are looking like waves. Terrible soil in those areas with no irrigation systems so had to go a bit east

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This house has been on the market for 160+ days and all of sudden there are 2 other bids, when we looked at it yesterday it didn’t have any bids. I’m kinda wondering if they are lying :confused: but I really liked the property and I think we should go over asking, if the inspection report has any issues then we can try and renegotiate. Not sure exactly what to do because I’m so over looking at houses

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Home/mold inspection is this Friday, I am hoping that everything is going to go well but the sellers agent hasn’t been very good with communicating and we have asked several times of all utilities will be on for the inspection as that is needed. They still have to install some of the lighting fixtures and haven’t given a date for all that

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This house has been on the market for 160+ days and all of sudden there are 2 other bids, when we looked at it yesterday it didn’t have any bids. I’m kinda wondering if they are lying :confused: but I really liked the property and I think we should go over asking, if the inspection report has any issues then we can try and renegotiate. Not sure exactly what to do because I’m so over looking at houses
It is highly probable they are lying, and even if they have another bid, if you are still an all cash offer, it's 99% certain they would prefer to sell to you.

Easier said than done, but try not to negotiate against yourself...if possible wait for them to come back to you with a counter. Also maybe tell them you will have to walk away if a deal isn't done soon, because you have another house you are really interested in, and don't want to lose it. :eek2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House buying is such a cat and mouse game anymore. I also think they're telling a bit of a white lie. Can tell you this; when i bought the house here and I was told there were multiple bids, I said fine, this is my final, if you don't accept thats fine, I have other houses to look at. Miraculous how my bid was became their top bid....

Hell I did that with my last car lease. I told them I will spend X. they pussyfooted around too much and I left. Went to another dealership and said I will spend X and they accepted, got the car I wanted with the terms I wanted.

I get that people try to drum up the interest in houses but sometimes it gets old.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
House buying is such a cat and mouse game anymore. I also think they're telling a bit of a white lie. Can tell you this; when i bought the house here and I was told there were multiple bids, I said fine, this is my final, if you don't accept thats fine, I have other houses to look at. Miraculous how my bid was became their top bid....

Hell I did that with my last car lease. I told them I will spend X. they pussyfooted around too much and I left. Went to another dealership and said I will spend X and they accepted, got the car I wanted with the terms I wanted.

I get that people try to drum up the interest in houses but sometimes it gets old.

I had my realtor tell them that if they didn't get the contract saying they accepted by end of business day on Monday that we were going to walk. They had told us at 7am we got the house but didn't send the signed contract until just before 5pm, I wasn't going to play games because I think they were hoping for another bid to go with. Since verbal doesn't mean squat until a contract is signed.

The seller is still not responding to all our questions which is fine, if the power isn't on we will extend out the option period (for only a $1 since it would be their mistake) or we will walk away. There is already 2 other houses we can look at, ain't nobody got time for that! :snooty:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had my realtor tell them that if they didn't get the contract saying they accepted by end of business day on Monday that we were going to walk. They had told us at 7am we got the house but didn't send the signed contract until just before 5pm, I wasn't going to play games because I think they were hoping for another bid to go with. Since verbal doesn't mean squat until a contract is signed.

The seller is still not responding to all our questions which is fine, if the power isn't on we will extend out the option period (for only a $1 since it would be their mistake) or we will walk away. There is already 2 other houses we can look at, ain't nobody got time for that! :snooty:
There can only be two reasons the house was on the market for 160 days; either it was priced way too high, or some kind of drama with the seller made it difficult for them to pull the trigger on a deal.

I think your are handling everything just fine! =)2

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There can only be two reasons the house was on the market for 160 days; either it was priced way too high, or some kind of drama with the seller made it difficult for them to pull the trigger on a deal.

I think your are handling everything just fine! =)2

Thanks! I am learning :read: but I love the process even if it is annoying

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We had the house inspection today and it went well, some issues but doesn't appear to be anything major which is a blessing! Countered back at the seller with a 5k reduction due to the repairs needed, waiting to hear what they say. Hoping that we can close next week and then move my mom and sister into the house in 30+ days after the repairs are done.

So far today has been fantastic and hoping that the weekend is as well :kiss2:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad to hear it.

We bought our house last year and we are having to get a new roof due to that storm in June (we had multiple holes punched in our roof from branches that were blown around! Very very lucky that we were able to get someone out to patch them before the next time it rained), and while we knew from the inspection that there was wood that was dry-rotted and needed to be replaced, we DIDN’T know that it looks like they just filled it with Bondo and then painted over it, so the seller knew for a fact that there was damage and didn’t disclose it! :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire: That really annoys me. I love my new house but the previous owners definitely had “interesting” ways of repairing things that are causing us trouble. So far we haven’t found anything that wasn’t in our inspection, thankfully, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So glad to hear it.

We bought our house last year and we are having to get a new roof due to that storm in June (we had multiple holes punched in our roof from branches that were blown around! Very very lucky that we were able to get someone out to patch them before the next time it rained), and while we knew from the inspection that there was wood that was dry-rotted and needed to be replaced, we DIDN’T know that it looks like they just filled it with Bondo and then painted over it, so the seller knew for a fact that there was damage and didn’t disclose it! :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire: That really annoys me. I love my new house but the previous owners definitely had “interesting” ways of repairing things that are causing us trouble. So far we haven’t found anything that wasn’t in our inspection, thankfully, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens.

Yeah our inspector noted signs of a fire in attic but the charred wood has been replaced, some areas are just blackened but no wood damage. I asked my realtor why the seller wouldn’t disclose that, she said that they have to if it was during their home ownership period. I’ve also wondered how that works, when a seller doesn’t disclose something major and new owner is stuck flipping the bill, in the end it looks like it would be difficult to prove negligence on the sellers side. Just like how the first house we put in an offer on only gave us a 12 page inspection report when we turned around and showed our 50 page one, he purchased the house only a few months prior so it’s not like anything changed.

It just makes you so leery of home buying

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah our inspector noted signs of a fire in attic but the charred wood has been replaced, some areas are just blackened but no wood damage. I asked my realtor why the seller wouldn’t disclose that, she said that they have to if it was during their home ownership period. I’ve also wondered how that works, when a seller doesn’t disclose something major and new owner is stuck flipping the bill, in the end it looks like it would be difficult to prove negligence on the sellers side. Just like how the first house we put in an offer on only gave us a 12 page inspection report when we turned around and showed our 50 page one, he purchased the house only a few months prior so it’s not like anything changed.

It just makes you so leery of home buying

Advice I’ve heard of there’s something major that wasn’t disclosed that is expensive to repair and you want to prove negligence is to ask neighbors when it occurred, and to call around to every contractor/repairperson for that kind of thing to see if they’ve got records of having worked on that address. Time-consuming but if you were facing $50k in unexpected work, probably worth it.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am so annoyed, our option period ended yesterday and we wrote an amendment requesting they clean the house and yard off all the rubbish still on the property along with a 5k reduction in our offer due to the inspection. If they didn’t accept we are still fine with everything but they were giving us the runaround over what they were signing, we were suppose to get an email confirmation yesterday and here we are today with nothing. We have no idea what the seller is doing and I am getting really frustrated

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you are starting to find out why the property remained unsold for 160 days!

Probably best just to relax and ride it out for a couple more days.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Guess it’s time for an update, we have owned the house for about 2 weeks and have had the chain link gates stolen (day of closing) and a breakin (night before my mom moved in) the breakin has been a nightmare to deal with because they stripped the electrical wiring and it’s caused a huge setback in the reno timeline along with potentially being a battle with our insurance company as they are claiming we don’t have coverage but oddly there is records showing we set it up (hoping USAA doesn’t do us dirty). There was one attempted breakin the second night my mom and sister were there but since the house was inhabited it wasn’t successful. I just can’t believe the bad luck we have been having with the house, I’m hopeful that since they are actively living there now and the alarm system is up and running with cameras this won’t be an issue again.

The move in was a disaster since the place was a mess from the thieves and my pregnant butt had to clean and assemble the one bedroom we got cleared with no AC with no help, 10/10 don’t recommend. When the live wires were cut this caused an electrical surge messing up the 2 year old ac unit. Upside was everyone was on time on the one day I needed them to be running late in order to do damage control, but nope no such luck.

Oh and the alarm installer sent me a rather inappropriate text message which made things a bit awkward...
CB43D462-3FA5-4F43-8A88-D9E20F2033FD.jpeg

Fun part! Here is my design for the bathroom, the bench seat will be on the opposite wall per the suggestion of the contractor.
170036CC-66FD-4658-BE2C-D0F85AB3F8ED.jpeg
3F174D29-2913-4EF2-A777-F813207BB259.jpeg 70A9F5D8-95B9-40BE-8F0B-E78F10093921.jpeg FD558411-5054-41F4-A7B4-3F4A859DC64D.jpeg

Still needing to pick out the mirror, faucet, and new adult size toilet (current one is a kids size):wall:

Oh and current state of the bathroom lol
E120BBB9-4F0D-48C3-8ACE-A15A32E599CD.jpeg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay at least they now have something, I'm sorry about the break in that totally sucks, hopefully now there are people in the house they will leave your mother alone.

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bathroom room is going to look nice! Is the new plan the one on the right?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The bathroom room is going to look nice! Is the new plan the one on the right?

New plan is on the left, the right is the current one that is just tiny

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay at least they now have something, I'm sorry about the break in that totally sucks, hopefully now there are people in the house they will leave your mother alone.

That is what we are hoping for, it’s still such a huge pain to deal with

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My goodness...... that so crazy. Sorry you dealt with all of that. BTW have you considered pocket doors on the bathroom?

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My goodness...... that so crazy. Sorry you dealt with all of that. BTW have you considered pocket doors on the bathroom?

I absolutely love pocket doors but not a fan of barn doors, sadly can't do them for the bathroom because of the electrical and I relocated the closet door that was inside the bathroom to the bedroom so no room for the door to fit.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nice you can gain some square footage!

had to steal it from the closet but it had to be done, the 6x7 bathroom just didn't work and my mom wouldn't have been happy with a 3x3 shower

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results