shape
carat
color
clarity

Holloway cut advisor question

ti837

Rough_Rock
Hello this is my first time buying an engagement ring and I have a question about the Holloway cut advisor page. My friend recommended me using this page and after I found a ring (2.01 carat, very good cut, excellent polish, and very good symmetry) I inserted everything it asked. After getting the results, I am very confused at what I am looking at. I have inserted the screen shot below. Is this a good diamond? and why is the result poor even though GIA rated its very good, excellent, and very good? Thank You

screen_shot_2015-01-20_at_8.png

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Well, that result would jive with the GIA result of "Very Good" which is, by definition, not excellent.

If you're looking for the best performing diamond, you are looking for an HCA score of below 2 and a GIA cut grade of excellent. You already knew this diamond was not a top performer since the cut grade was not excellent, so I'm not sure what you were expecting the HCA tool to do, besides agree with GIA.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
64.3 % is way too deep. A well cut 2ct MRB should be closer to 8.10mm in diameter.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Depth is not desirable--in other words, it is cut "too deep". No dimensions were listed so I am surmising that this might be where the extra weight is to get the stone over the 2 carat mark.

How else can we help?

cheers--Sharon

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a average cut that will face up small as the others have suggested. What is your budget and your search criteria maybe everyone can suggest other better cut stones for you.

ti837

Rough_Rock
my budget is around 9 grand but prefer to be around 8. I am looking for a round cut, hoping to get a 1.8 or above, Ive seen some really nice J color, si2 diamonds so as long as its got the sparkles and fire I dont mind.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it may be difficult to find a 2 ct J SI2 (AGS/GIA) stone without any problems for your budget... Your budget is more inline with 1.5 ct.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results