shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday Morsels

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thought I''d share a few things I make during the holidays, and maybe some will share back.
5.gif

Cocoa Meltaway Cookies

1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. flour
1/2 c. cornstarch-Exactly
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 c. ground pecans-Exactly
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the rest of ingredients except pecans and vanilla. Blend at low speed until all is moistened. Add pecans and van., mix well.

(May need to chill for 1/2 hour or so for easier handling)

Shape into 1 in. balls, place 2 in. apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 325 for 8-10 min. Cool 1 min. then transfer to wire rack.

Frosting

2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. butter, softened
2-3 tbsp. milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
red and green food coloring (2 drops is about right, I divide the icing in two)

In small bowl, combine all until smooth. Frost completely cooled cookies, and allow frosting to set before storing.

These things just melt in your mouth.
18.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jam Filled Butter Cookies

3 sticks butter
1 c. sugar
3 egg YOLKS
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. almond extract
3 3/4 c. flour
1/2-1/3 c. seedless raspberry jam

Beat butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar, beat again until fluffy. Beat in yolks and extracts.

Gradually add flour, mix well. (It gets to a point where it''s easier to mix with your hands)

Pinch off and roll into 1 in. balls. Space about 1 1/2 in. apart on GREASED cookie sheet. Make a dent in the middle, large enough to hold a little bit of jam.

Place on center rack and bake 7 min. at 350. Remove and fill with jam (easier to deal with and melt if you stir it up first).

Bake 5 min. more or just until lightly tinged brown and jam is melted. Cool on wire rack.

So good. Of course, how could they not be with 3 sticks butter? Oh Lorelei....
9.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like one dozen of each please!
9.gif
Yum yum!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2006 6:42:19 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
I would like one dozen of each please!
9.gif
Yum yum!
I''ll just bring them with me tomorrow night, k?
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sugared Pecans

4 c. pecan halves
1 egg WHITE
1 tbsp. water
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. sugar

Beat egg white and water in large bowl until frothy. Add nuts and stir until well coated. Add cinamon and sugar, stir until coated well. Spread out on large ungreased cookie sheet (with sides).

Bake at 250 for 45 min., turning over every 15 min.

Easy and yummy.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Peppermint Fudge

2 c. sugar - exactly
1/2 c. butter
5 oz. evaporated milk
7 oz. marshmallow creme
8 oz. almond bark, coarsely chopped
1/2 c. crushed candy canes (8 small ones, I put them in a zip lock bag and take the smooth side of a meat mallot to them)
3 drops red food coloring

Line a square 9 in. pan with foil, spray lightly with Pam.

In fairly large pot, combine sugar, milk and butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Continue cooking over medium heat for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add m. creme and and bark. Stir until melted and well blended. Add food coloring, mix until blended. Add canes, mix.

Pour into pan, cool to room temp and score top. When totally cooled, lift block out, peel off foil and cut.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
My MIL''s board and care facility (it sounds like a place to keep horses, it''s really a convalescent home of sorts, we don''t have her in a barn in a stall with her name on the gate, I promise!) is having a Christmas party next weekend including a cookie contest. My mom offered me this recipe so I don''t know where it came from. I cut and pasted her directions exactly as I haven''t tried the recipe yet, but she loves it. Her last line cracks me up as she is not old (she''s 50) and both my husband and I love the taste of ginger.

SOFT GINGER COOKIES
Makes 7 dozen 2 1/2 to 3 inch cookies

Preheat the oven to 375.

1 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup molasses
1 cup sour milk or buttermilk
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground all-spice
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
7 cups all-purpose flour
1. In a VERY large mixing bowl, beat the butter or margarine with an
electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add the sugar and beat
until thoroughly combined. Then add the egg and beat well.
2. Add the molasses, then the sour milk. Stir in the baking soda,
cinnamon, ginger, salt, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg. Gradually stir in
the flour. Divide the dough into thirds and wrap each piece in plastic
wrap; chill thoroughly.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll one-third of the dough at a time
to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut the dough into desired shapes using cookie
cutters.
4. Bake the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet in the oven for 6-8
minutes or until the edges are set. Cool the cookies on a wire rack.
Repeat with the remaining dough.

TIPS

To make 1 cup sour milk, measure 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
into a 1-cup glass measure. Add enough milk to equal 1 cup and let
stand
5 minutes before adding it to the recipe.
Either dark or light molasses can be used in this recipe. Dark molasses
is less sweet and gives a darker color and a more distinct molasses
flavor than the milder flavored light molasses.
The two part secret for success with cut-out cookies is making sure the
dough is well chilled and rolling the dough out on a floured surface.
Use one-third or the dough at a time and leave the remainder
refrigerated. Using a floured pastry cloth and cloth-covered rolling
pin helps to reduce dough-sticking problems. (The pastry cloth is on top of
the counter you''re rolling dough out on. The other cloth is wrapped
around the rolling pin. The picture almost looks like it s a sleeve
that fits over the pin, I don''t know if there is such a thing, but I see no
edges).
Measuring the dough thickness with a ruler makes it easier to cut
cookies that will bake evenly. If you want to bake both large and small
cookies, group equal-sized cookies on separate cookie sheets so that
all of the cookies on the same cookie sheet will be done at the same time.
There is nothing about frosting them, but the picture shows they are.
My guess is they used just white frosting that could be pressed through a
tip. Some of them have dots, others have a squiggle line, or followed
the shape of the cookie.

Old people like the taste of ginger.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG - ELLEN - BUTTER!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I am going to make me a batch of EACH cookie over the Hols for sure!

Thanks Ellen!!!
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif

Ha Kimberley, as one of my fave cakes is ginger, I must be very old....
41.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
those all sound really divine!!! does anyone have some recipes for ''healthyish'' kinda cookies OR maybe how to healthy up some of the more evil recipes? i''m a cookie whore big time but i''d love to make some for the house that won''t go straight to my thighs. hahaha.

i think i might try those jam filled ones though, gotta love butter cookies with JAM.
30.gif
oy.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My trainer made me these cookies last year and I was laughing that she was trying to drum up business (like the dentist giving you candy!) but they were amazing. They have layers of peanut butter and chocolate and coconut and are chewy. I purposefully did not ask for the recipe but I ate the box she gave me in a couple of days...Yum. I can ask her for the recipe if anyone is interested. I think they are very easy to make and I am not sure if they even need to go in the oven, they may be more like a rice krispy treat...I hope she does not give me some this year. To be fair, I asked for them, because she was telling me about them and about how she and her mom bake all day the couple days before Xmas and this is her favorite thing...

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Ellen - I'm a cookie machine at Christmas... when I get home I will post some of my recipes! This is a great idea.

Mara - I havent tried any of these, but they are from the WW website... the crackle spice drops look yummy!
18.gif

chocolatechipcookies_lg.jpg

Chocolate Chip Cookies (2 Points= 1 cookie)
2 sprays cooking spray
2/3 cup light cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup unpacked brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg(s)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup whole-grain wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, unbleached
1/4 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp fat-free skim milk
6 oz mini chocolate chips

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 2 cookie sheets with cooking stray or cover with parchment paper.

Beat cream cheese and both sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer until sugar is fully mixed (should not have granules); add egg and vanilla and blend again.

Combine both flours, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl.

Add half the flour mixture to the cream cheese mixture; beat until well incorporated. Add milk and remaining flour mixture; beat until fully blended and then fold in chips.

Drop heaping teaspoons of dough onto prepared cookie sheet and press dough down with dampened fingers to form about 1-inch raw cookies. Make sure to leave at least an inch between each cookie. Bake cookies until slightly golden on top, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 1 to 2 minutes; remove to a wire rack and cool completely. Yields 1 cookie per serving.

cracklespicedrops_lg.jpg

Crackle Spice Drops (1 Point=1 cookie)
1/2 cup reduced-calorie margarine, soft
1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
1 large egg(s)
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp table salt
1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375°F.

In a mixing bowl, on medium speed, beat margarine with brown sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until light and fluffy. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and spice.

Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into powdered sugar to coat. Place onto baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 7 to 8 minutes. Yields 1 cookie per serving.

30_chocturtlecookie_lg.jpg

Chocolate Turtle Cookies (2 Points= 1 cookie)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup reduced-calorie margarine
1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese
1 large egg white(s)
2 Tbsp fat-free skim milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 sprays cooking spray
24 piece caramel candies
24 pieces pecan halves

Instructions
Combine flour and cocoa in a small bowl; set aside. Beat together sugar, margarine, cream cheese, egg white, milk and vanilla extract in a large bowl; add flour mixture and blend well. Chill dough at least 30 minutes, or until firm.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on baking sheets about 1 to 2 inches apart. Press a caramel into each cookie and flatten; top each caramel with a pecan half. Bake for 10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheets and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Yields 1 cookie per serving.

peanutbuttercookies_lg_new.jpg

Peanut Butter Cookies (2 Points=1 cookie)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp table salt
3 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, stick-variety
2 Tbsp reduced-fat peanut butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg white(s)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 sprays cooking spray

Instructions
Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl; mix well and set aside.

Combine margarine and peanut butter in a mixing bowl; beat on medium speed until blended and smooth. Gradually add both sugars and beat until blended; add egg white and vanilla and beat until smooth. While beating on low speed, gradually add flour mixture and mix until just blended.

Transfer dough to a large piece of plastic wrap and roll into an 8-inch log. Wrap log in plastic wrap and freeze for 2 hours. (Note: You can make the cookie dough up to 3 days in advance and freeze until ready to bake.)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray.

Remove cookie dough from freezer and slice crosswise into about twenty-four 1/3-inch-thick slices; place slices 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden around edges, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Yields 1 cookie per serving.

Flavor Booster: Browned margarine has a nutty flavor that enhances a peanut butter cookie. Melt the margarine in a small skillet until it sizzles and just begins to brown. Remove from heat and freeze for 20 minutes, or until firm, before using in recipe.

02_triplegingercookie_lg.jpg

Triple Ginger Cookies (2 Points=3 cookies!)
2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp table salt
1 tsp ground ginger
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 Tbsp apple butter
1/4 cup ginger preserves
1/4 cup molasses
1 Tbsp ginger root, freshly grated
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg(s)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.

Whisk flour, baking soda, salt and ground ginger together in a medium bowl; set aside.

With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter, apple butter, preserves, molasses and fresh ginger until well combined. Add sugar; beat to combine. Add egg; beat to combine. Add dry ingredients; beat to combine.

Drop rounded teaspoons of batter 1 inch apart onto cookie sheets. Bake until set and golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool. Yields 3 cookies per serving.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberly, your first line had me cracking up!
9.gif
Thanks so much for your recipe, I''ll be sure to share them with all my old people. Bless your moms heart.
9.gif

Lorelei, I thought of you the whole time I was typing the jam filled recipe.
5.gif

Mara, lol @ evil recipes! I''ve heard of substituting whole wheat flour for white, and using applesauce in place of butter/sour cream, etc. I''ve never tried it though, I''m into evil.
9.gif
Just make them and then take some to work so you can''t eat them all.
2.gif

diamondfan, I''d love that recipe, 3 of my favorites in there....
3.gif

njc, good to hear, I''ll be waiting! While I love the ones I make, I want something new. I''ll still have to make all these though, the fam gets mad at me if I don''t.

I wish I had all the ingredients for the ginger cookies, I''d make them today. We are watching freezing rain and sleet fall right now, with a prediction of half an inch. THEN 3-6 inches of snow.
6.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll add one more, this stuff is addicting. I can''t believe I was 40 before I first tasted it!

Xmas Mix.

Mix equal parts of raisons, salted peanuts (not roasted) and xmas m&m''s.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks njc those crackle spice drops do look super yummy!!!

i like how you can use things like a bit more vanilla or honey or brown sugar to make things sweeter and taste a bit more flavorful in some of the lower-fat/lower-cal recipes. i have used applesauce in place of sugar before, but the thing is that typically substitutions end up changing the ''consistency'' of the finished product so i always like to see lower-fat/lower-cal recipes that are tried and true, aka other people have guinea pigged them for me...hehe.

does anyone know how WW points translates to calories??

lol ellen...i definitely can get behind some of the more evil recipes...but i''d like to mix it up a bit! my girlfriend at work said she made some amazing brownies this weekend with yogurt and some splenda or something and is going to give me the recipe..it sounded super easy, like some sort of mix? and i figure i could add crushed candy canes in...i love doing that for a simple way of jazzing up regular things, aka like making choco chip cookies then adding in crushed candy canes is a perfect little holiday thang!

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
I love to bake and do all the time.
Yesterday I tried a new holiday cookie that was super easy and super yum!!

Coconut Snow Balls

2 sticks unsalted butter- softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar, plus more for rolling cookies
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups sweetened coconut flakes

Preheat oven to 350.
Cream butter, sugar and vanilla.
Add salt and flour until combined.
Stir in coconut.

Roll into 1 inch balls.
Place on greased cookie sheet (I use Pam).
Bake for 15-20 minutes until just starting to turn golden on the edges.
Roll warm cookies in powdered sugar and cool.

Enjoy!!! Makes 3 dozen +-

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Pear Dumplings

4 Bartlett or D''Anjou pears- pealed and cored
1 stick butter
1 peach brandy
1 cup pear nectar (or peach nectar)
3/4 cup sugar plus more for sprinkling
1 tbsp cinnamonplus more for sprinkling
8 oz cream cheese softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup dried apricots
pie crust- homemade or store bought (store bought is just easier)
4 whole cloves (for stems)

Preheat oven to 350
In a small bowl, mix together cream cheese, sugar and apricot snips.
Fill the cored centers of the pears with the cream cheese mixture.

Cut strips of rolled pie crust and wrap the pealed and cored pears, leaving the bottoms exposed.
Cute two little leaves from the pie crust and atop the pears with the leaves using a whole cloves as stems.
In sauce pan combine, butter, brandy, nectar, sugar and cinnamon. Stir over medium heat until butter is melted and a slow boil begins.
Pour the liquid mixture into a square baking pan. Sit the pears into the mixture, brush beaten egg over the crust and sprinkle everything with cinnamon and sugar.

Bake for 45 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Enjoy!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
My "knock-em dead" recipe is for rollout cookies. Everybody has these, right? But this recipe tastes amazing and people find them very addictive. The salted butter really makes a difference... the sugar and salt combo is divine! I''ve been making these for years and used to sell them but I got bored so I don''t do that any more. People still beg me to make them cookies.

Roll-out cookies

1 cup butter (use salted!)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tbsp baking powder

mix together, roll out immediately, and bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, until edges are slightly toasted. Don''t re-roll dough more than twice.

Buttercream icing

1 pound confectioners sugar
1/2 cup butter (use salted)
3 tbsp milk (use whole)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix thoroughly, add gel food coloring, and decorate cookies with a thin layer. Let harden.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/4/2006 3:27:53 PM
Author: sumbride
My ''knock-em dead'' recipe is for rollout cookies. Everybody has these, right? But this recipe tastes amazing and people find them very addictive. The salted butter really makes a difference... the sugar and salt combo is divine! I''ve been making these for years and used to sell them but I got bored so I don''t do that any more. People still beg me to make them cookies.

Roll-out cookies

1 cup butter (use salted!)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tbsp baking powder

mix together, roll out immediately, and bake in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, until edges are slightly toasted. Don''t re-roll dough more than twice.

Buttercream icing

1 pound confectioners sugar
1/2 cup butter (use salted)
3 tbsp milk (use whole)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix thoroughly, add gel food coloring, and decorate cookies with a thin layer. Let harden.
OMG can you make those smiley face cookies with this recipe? I LOVE those!
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ChargerGrrl, jorman, sumbride and monarch, thank you so much for the recipes, they look delish!!

Please don't think I was ignoring you all, I lost electricity at 3 AM last Friday, just got it back about 1/2 an hour ago. It was an awsome experience, especially since we just went through a multiple day blackout 5 months ago.
20.gif
Can we say GENERATOR?

Keep em coming guys! and they don't necessarily have to be sweet, I love appetizers too.
18.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goody - Ellen I was wondering where you were, missed you!
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 12:58:32 PM
Author: Lorelei
Goody - Ellen I was wondering where you were, missed you!
35.gif
Thanks friend, missed you too!
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ellen!!!! I also was worried about you! I realized you last posted last Thursday and there was no mention of you leaving town or anything. I am so glad it wasn''t an illness or something! But how horrible to be without power in the winter!!! I am so sorry!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 9:58:21 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Ellen!!!! I also was worried about you! I realized you last posted last Thursday and there was no mention of you leaving town or anything. I am so glad it wasn''t an illness or something! But how horrible to be without power in the winter!!! I am so sorry!
Well, I wondered if anyone would put together the fact that I posted about watching the sleet and freezing rain come down, with my disappearance!
9.gif

Thanks ds, and yes, it WAS horrible, and lonnnnng. We lost power 5 months ago for 2 1/2 days in 95 degree weather. Honestly, that was worse. At least you can bundle up and build fires, but when you''re hot, you can only do so much...

Just glad to be back!!

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 10:08:32 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 12/6/2006 9:58:21 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, I wondered if anyone would put together the fact that I posted about watching the sleet and freezing rain come down, with my disappearance!
9.gif

Thanks ds, and yes, it WAS horrible, and lonnnnng. We lost power 5 months ago for 2 1/2 days in 95 degree weather. Honestly, that was worse. At least you can bundle up and build fires, but when you''re hot, you can only do so much...

Just glad to be back!!
Are you in the midwest? Because I know my family has been getting hit with that sleet and snow and wind lately, and they are over in Utah. Sorry about your power being out, that''s awful, I know. But on the plus side this thread is awesome! I am trying to get my almond cookie recipe together so I can post it. It''s amazing!!

*M*

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2006 10:11:58 PM
Author: poptart
Are you in the midwest? Because I know my family has been getting hit with that sleet and snow and wind lately, and they are over in Utah. Sorry about your power being out, that''s awful, I know. But on the plus side this thread is awesome! I am trying to get my almond cookie recipe together so I can post it. It''s amazing!!

*M*
Hi poptart (love the nic)! and thanks.

Yes, smack dab on the IL/MO border. Just south of us got it REALLY bad, they are saying some parts may not have it for a couple more weeks.

Looking forward to that recipe!

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
Log Cookies

I made up this recipe last year, looking for a different kind of texture and something that would look festive on a cookie tray, and not involve nuts or chocolate because I overdo that! People seem to love them!

2 1/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp. (heaping) salt
1 cup butter
1 cup confectioner'' s sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. orange extract
1/2 tsp. lemon extract
1 tsp. chocolate extract

Stir flour and salt together. Cream butter. Add sugar and extracts to creamed butter. Blend in flour and salt. Take small portions and roll into logs. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes until cookies set but are still pale. When cool, frost. I keep these in the refrigerator; they store well in the freezer.

Frost with white chocolate icing, and garnish with sprinkles.

Icing:

Melt together 6 oz. white chocolate chips with 1 tbs. shortening, stir. I melt them in a microwave for a minute or so and stir.

Dip cookies and sprinkle immediately with holiday sprinkles (jimmies). Chill until set.

Substituting milk chocolate chips for white also make a good frosting. (Dark chocolate is a bit too harsh for the delicate cookie taste.)

LdyNghtWng

Rough_Rock
rum balls

(No alcohol, No Bake)

Makes about 48

1 lb box of shortbread or vanilla wafer, fine ground
(you can use a mix of random cookie crumbs)
1-2 tbs. multicolour sprinkles (jimmies)
4 tbs. granulated sugar
1 heaping tbs. Dutch cocoa

4 tbs. orange juice
2 tbs. light corn syrup
4 tsp. rum extract
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. almond extract

To coat:
8 oz. semi sweet chocolate
1 tbs. vegetable shortening

Pink sprinkles or holiday sprinkles, for decoration.

Pulse the cookies in food processor to a fine grind. When processed, add the sprinkles and pulse a few times to break them up. Mix together cookie crumbs, sugar, cocoa.

Mix together orange juice, corn syrup and extracts.

Mix wet and dry ingredients together with a heavy spoon, stirring until mixture clings
together. Let mixture set for ten minutes. Mixture should be firm enough to shape.
Shape into 3/4 inch balls and set onto a cookie sheet. Refrigerate 10-15 minutes to make them easier to coat.

Melt chocolate and shortening in microwave and let cool. Dip balls into chocolate and set on wax paper covered cookie sheet. Add sprinkles if desired, while chocolate is still wet. Place in refrigerator to set. Best kept in refrigerator.

Variation:

White Rum Balls

Recipe, as above, but omit the cocoa.
Replace dark chocolate in the coating with white chocolate.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
LNW, thank you! Those log cookies sound intriguing, I''ve never even heard of Chocolate extract! On the size of the log, are you talking about maybe first finger size (length and width)?

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been making cookies this week for a cookie exchange this weekend on Sunday. I still have a few dozen to go! These cookies bake into just the right size, maybe three bites each with just enough mint in them. I roll in red, green, and white sugar for an extra festive touch.

Chocolate Mint Sugar Drops

Ingredients:
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. sugar, divided
3/4 c. vegetable oil
2 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (10 oz.) pkg. (1 1/2 c.) Nestle''s Toll House mint flavored semi-sweet chocolate morsels
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar and vegetable oil; mix well. Beat eggs and vanilla extract. Gradually add flour mixture. Stir in Nestle Toll House mint flavored semi-sweet chocolate morsels. Drop by rounded measuring teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Shape into balls. Roll in remaining sugar. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results