shape
carat
color
clarity

Holiday engagements?? Who's thinking it's coming then?

beesha77

Shiny_Rock
I really think bf has either bought something or is having it made and is waiting for it. Just due to a few comments he's made. "I had a really bad dream last night that the ring I ordered was not at all what i wanted." of course i'm thinking....does that mean he bought something?!! :naughty: :appl: I will actually be really disappointed if it doesn't happen by New YEars. Who else?

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats that your wait will soon be at an end!

I really thought that I would also be in the Holiday engagement category, but my SO started (understandably) crying poor for various reasons. :( So I'm either going to have to wait until summer or he is the best liar in the world and he's actually crying poor because he made the purchase.

I'm like 99% sure it'll be at least summer ;(

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
well congrats then! i imagine it is crazy not knowing with little hints like that...hopefully you get a nice big sparkly soon and show us in a million pictures.

i will not be getting a holiday surprise- and it will in fact have to wait until June/July. Had a long talk with SO about rings last night and he told me it would have to wait until then because of money (we are grad students who live together, on our own with no help) and my high expectations. I was thinking March but I guess I was wrrooonnng. But then he looked at rings and diamonds with me and showed interest in the HCA and GIA/AGS reports like never before. I think it was to make me feel less sad. One step forward, two steps back!

marchesa6989

Shiny_Rock
maebelle - you never know, it may be that he is indeed poor now cuz he dropped a few grand on your ring! or in the other scenario that he really is short on funds right now, it's better to wait because you want it to be a happy occasion, without causing extra stress and pressure for your SO. and if you wait for the right time when money isn't so much of an issue then you can get a great ring without compromising.

LJL - i'd say the same thing about finances! at least you guys are communicating about what you want, and BECAUSE he wants you to get the perfect ring so that you're happy, he wants to wait. i'm sure you could both rush and buy something now but that would be subpar and in the long run you would be unhappy with that choice. sounds like you want quality and wouldn't want anything less.

as for me, mine's coming up in the next week or two. i already have the ring and have seen it (since i chose it and he paid for it lol) - when it arrived i did a self appraisal and made sure it was up to scratch. but let me encourage you both that it wasn't easy and i wanted it to go faster than it did. plus SO took some convincing because the ring i had envisioned in my head was over the budget he initially planned on. but he wanted to make me happy and given some time look what i've ended up with now! it's more perfect than i could imagine and goes to show that patience really is the key. if you want some inspiration you can see my thread in the "show me the bling" forum. much better than the 0.8ct solitaire i originally thought i was gonna get ;))

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
I can only hope, my birthday is coming up and then its the holidays... But I have learned from last year not to hold my breath during the holidays. I have to go out of town for a family members surgery and will have to look after them for a little while. He keeps asking if I will be home for the 26-28 because he has the days off... not sure if he just really wants to spend the time with me or if he has something up his sleeve. I won't look too far into it, but at the same time last February after we both cooled off from my breakdown in Paris on New Years he said that there would be a proposal within the next year... and February is VERY close now........

maebelle, I really hope you SO does during the holidays... the "im so poor" is usually because they made a big purchase *crossing my fingers for you*

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
I *think* so. I hope so! We have the ring, we know it's gorgeous and it fits, now it's the waiting game for me. We've had the ring for 6 whole days now. I didn't realize how impatient I would be! I'm pretty sure it will be before Christmas... I hope? But I don't know for sure. His birthday is coming up very soon, too.

LJL

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the rationalization and encouragement marchesa - I had actually already looked at your ring today (and then thought, how big for ~1.25 and then read that you have size 4 fingers (dangit, mines a 6.25/6.5) and then went to union diamond to look up diamonds) its gorgeous - the halo looks really..subtle and nice :bigsmile: I love halos that don't slap you in the face.

What you described is exactly the situation. He could buy me a smaller ring now but due to my finger size and my expensive taste, I have to wait. Admittedly, it isnt much longer than I thought I would be waiting - I'm just sick of the damn questions, ya know? "When are you getting engaged" etc - I even had someone tell me that if I came back from Christmas break without a diamond that they'd be "disappointed" in me. OOPS. I told them they were crazy cause even I wasn't expecting that early. I have no doubt that when we do buy, it will be a very happy experience for me and that I will get exactly what I want (within reason :naughty: ) In the long run, it WILL be better.

Congratulations on your engagement marchesa - and lots of dust to all of you out there expecting/hoping for a holiday engagement! Keep telling yourself that its not gonna happen so you'll be extra surprised if it does!

RebeccaMUA

Shiny_Rock
Extra **********************************DUST*********************************** to all the ladies out there who are anticipating (and to those who will be knocked over by a feather in surprise because they are getting a ring and had NO clue it was coming!) engagement for the Holiday's and the weeks leading up to it.

I will be crossing my fingers for you gals!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Sending lots of ***************DUST****************** to all you ladies!
My SO told me on new years eve that I would be engaged this year. Well, since there are only a few days left til new years 2012, I'm hoping he keeps his promise.

delta_loves_alpha

Rough_Rock
The BF told me I should "go get my nails done" next week for my birthday. I think he thinks he's being sneaky, but he's NEVER told me that I need to go get my nails done. lol. :bigsmile:

marchesa6989

Shiny_Rock
thanks LJL! ::)

i have all my fingers and toes crossed for everybody!!!!

delta_loves_alpha..hmmmm that does sound a little sneaky. keep us updated for sure and get your little ring antennae up haha

mmi

Shiny_Rock
Definitely not. ;(

It will actually be the first time in 7 years we will be apart for Christmas/our anniversary/New Years (all within the same few days). We will be in different states! It will be kinda hard. :(( I know my turn is coming though, so I will just anxiously watch Facebook for news from my friends, and I will of course be here!

Good luck, ladies!

mmi

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I wish I was. ~*~*Dust~*~*~ to everyone!

I think every year I despise the holidays more and more. The commercials make it hard, too. It's like they KNOW I want a ring for Christmas. It's gotten to the point that I don't even enjoy the holidays because I know I won't end up with a ring. I know that sounds so selfish, but it's true. :blackeye:
The other day, the bf asked what I wanted for Christmas. I told him nothing (which is true; I don't want anything). And I know that we've only been together 6 months (known each other for over a year, though), so I definitely know there isn't a ring in the immediate future. *sigh* So, I sit here and pout and am counting down the days until Christmas is over. We just moved in together, so suggested perhaps something for the apartment? But..... we don't need anything! I wish I could just fast forward through this time of year.

He should just get me a lump of coal, for my selfish ways are in no way deserving of a fancy ring. :nono:

Sorry for the rant..... good luck to all the ladies! I hope many of you end up with a shiny rock :appl:

Kathy87

Rough_Rock
I was heavily involved in selecting the diamond and setting for my e-ring, however, since my partner processed the payment three days ago, I have completely stepped out of the picture not wanting to know the details or time frame of the delivery so as to save myself some surprise!

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed that he does intend on proposing over Christmas / New Year period, we also have our 7 year anniversary coming up on the 28th of December which is another potential date... He could also be cheeky and do it on the in between days when I would least expect it...I really enjoy not knowing :))

wishfuldreamer, I feel so sad reading how you felt about the holidays :( Don't wish away the good times because of a ring! No doubt when your time comes you wouldn't have had it any other way. ;)) Hey could be worse, you could have been with him for 7 years! :angryfire:

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
Kathy87|1323517422|3078412 said:
I was heavily involved in selecting the diamond and setting for my e-ring, however, since my partner processed the payment three days ago, I have completely stepped out of the picture not wanting to know the details or time frame of the delivery so as to save myself some surprise!

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed that he does intend on proposing over Christmas / New Year period, we also have our 7 year anniversary coming up on the 28th of December which is another potential date... He could also be cheeky and do it on the in between days when I would least expect it...I really enjoy not knowing :))

wishfuldreamer, I feel so sad reading how you felt about the holidays :( Don't wish away the good times because of a ring! No doubt when your time comes you wouldn't have had it any other way. ;)) Hey could be worse, you could have been with him for 7 years! :angryfire:

Kathy, you are so right. And I think about my previous relationship, which was pretty close to 7 years with no ring. I'm glad I finally opened my eyes and found someone who treats me right, so I am grateful for that. Thank you for your kind words.

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
delta_loves_alpha|1323432120|3077739 said:
The BF told me I should "go get my nails done" next week for my birthday. I think he thinks he's being sneaky, but he's NEVER told me that I need to go get my nails done. lol. :bigsmile:

oooo!!! So exciting :):) What colour are you thinking?

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
Wisfuldreamer I despise the holidays more and more too... can't agree more about the commercials, especially the Tiffany's one last year... I feel anxious when I hear them and the boyfriend is in the car too. I feel like saying "that ad was made for YOU"... hahahaha...
Last year before we went on our trip my boyfriend saw Santa in the shopping mall and jokingly said I should go tell him what I want... SO I DID. (He really wasn't being serious) My boyfriend had a great laugh after but was noisy enough to ask what I wanted. "You're a smart man, you can figure it out".. .Santa did lie to me and said it wouldnt be a problem :(... hahaha

MisakiChan

Rough_Rock
sweetpepsigirl, I feel you. My bf told me I'll have to wait for at least one year from now and our relationship has to be almost "perfect" in order for him to propose. I'm trying to do my best! Good luck to you, too!

delta_loves_alpha

Rough_Rock
sweetpepsigirl|1323534302|3078513 said:

OMG I don't know. Maybe like a pink-ish neutral-ish sparkly-ish something? haha...suggestions?!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
sweetpepsigirl|1323534518|3078517 said:
Wisfuldreamer I despise the holidays more and more too... can't agree more about the commercials, especially the Tiffany's one last year... I feel anxious when I hear them and the boyfriend is in the car too. I feel like saying "that ad was made for YOU"... hahahaha...
Last year before we went on our trip my boyfriend saw Santa in the shopping mall and jokingly said I should go tell him what I want... SO I DID. (He really wasn't being serious) My boyfriend had a great laugh after but was noisy enough to ask what I wanted. "You're a smart man, you can figure it out".. .Santa did lie to me and said it wouldnt be a problem :(... hahaha

LOL I love that you told Santa, that's awesome! :D Although, it wasn't nice of him to lie to you. :nono:

It was funny, a commercial came on tv a few days ago; for a special at Hilton Head for like, $99 a couple per night or something. I've always wanted to go, so he says "Wow's, that's cheap, let's go!" And then the commercial pipes in "Engaged or married couples only, please." I started laughing because how do you prove you're engaged to get that rate?! Anyone can throw a fake rock on their finger and announce they are engaged. (I've been guilty of sporting a fake one on occasion, to keep creepers away in bars, etc...). It was pretty comical, but awkward at the same time.

I've been avoiding TV just so I don't see or hear the commercials. It helps a bit, but I still know they're out there. :Up_to_something:

mmi

Shiny_Rock
Kathy87|1323517422|3078412 said:

Holy cow. You too?? :o

First I find someone on PS who was born on the same exact day I was, now I find someone with the same exact anniversary day... :bigsmile: Crossing my fingers for you!

mmi

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Squee! Good luck & dust to all you ladies!!

Delta, might I suggest an understated nude color? So maybe the light pink, but no glitter? If you do get your sparkler, you want ALL the attention on the rock!! ;-)

Wishful, your sentiments feel so familiar. I felt JUST like that last Dec when we first moved out. All our $ went to security deposits, and purchasing all new furnitures and kitchen appliances.. And who ever would have thought you'd have to spend hundreds on a darn vacuum?! :( so "I feel ya, girl". In fact, we didnt exchange gifts for our first anniversary, Christmas, valentines day or birthdays, as they were all within 2 months of us moving out :(. But, the holidays pass, and the most important thing I/you/we could ever want during the holidays is our "soul mate", warm blankets and cuddling on days off work ;-) warming each other up from the cold!! Are you two still going to be exchanging gifts still?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Delta, might I suggest an understated nude color? So maybe the light pink, but no glitter? If you do get your sparkler, you want ALL the attention on the rock!! ;-)

Wishful, your sentiments feel so familiar. I felt JUST like that last Dec when we first moved out. All our $ went to security deposits, and purchasing all new furnitures and kitchen appliances.. And who ever would have thought you'd have to spend hundreds on a darn vacuum?! :( so "I feel ya, girl". In fact, we didnt exchange gifts for our first anniversary, Christmas, valentines day or birthdays, as they were all within 2 months of us moving out :(. But, the holidays pass, and the most important thing I/you/we could ever want during the holidays is our "soul mate", warm blankets and cuddling on days off work ;-) warming each other up from the cold!! Are you two still going to be exchanging gifts still?

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1323555608|3078729 said:

I would assume we are, but I have no idea what to get him. And likewise, he doesn't know what I want (but as I said above, I don't want anything). So, it'll be interesting to see what happens. I bought him a nice gift last month for his birthday, which I should have just held over for Christmas, but I wasn't thinking. Argghhhh. It's so difficult! lol

liarudd

Shiny_Rock
sooo exciting :) i hope everyone that is anticipating for a ring during the holidays gets one!! i love the holidays, everyone is already in such great spirits and a ring is just the icing on the cake....
I hope i get mine then too!!!!

DUST to all

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wishfuldreamer|1323563345|3078815 said:
I would assume we are, but I have no idea what to get him. And likewise, he doesn't know what I want (but as I said above, I don't want anything). So, it'll be interesting to see what happens. I bought him a nice gift last month for his birthday, which I should have just held over for Christmas, but I wasn't thinking. Argghhhh. It's so difficult! lol

:/ why not start a convo with him about it? It was hard for me to (last year), but I forced myself to tell him *gulp* that we should forgo gifts. are you just in a downer mood about the holidays b/c the whole proposal/LIWitis thing? Like nothing but a proposal will be satisfactory? Or??

Even this year, I'm struggling with my own budget. So it's more one sided.. But I'm making coupons? Cheesy, but he hates it when my room is messy, so I am making him coupons for a "drop everything and put all your clothes away"-thing. And coupons for me cooking meals from scratch.. That sort?

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1323577319|3078990 said:
wishfuldreamer|1323563345|3078815 said:

:/ why not start a convo with him about it? It was hard for me to (last year), but I forced myself to tell him *gulp* that we should forgo gifts. are you just in a downer mood about the holidays b/c the whole proposal/LIWitis thing? Like nothing but a proposal will be satisfactory? Or??

Even this year, I'm struggling with my own budget. So it's more one sided.. But I'm making coupons? Cheesy, but he hates it when my room is messy, so I am making him coupons for a "drop everything and put all your clothes away"-thing. And coupons for me cooking meals from scratch.. That sort?

It's a bit of both. The holidays certainly get me down. I have my good days and bad days, that's for sure. The other day at the mall, walking past all the jewelry stores, I couldn't help but notice couples in there and my eyes started tearing up! So, I try to avoid the mall as much as possible this time of year :lol: But then, there's days like today, (it's our 6 month anniversary btw, even though it feels so much longer) and I'm not even bothered by it at all. Can you say bi-polar LIWitis?!?

The coupons are a good idea. And the bf and I brought up gifts the other day; he mentioned what he wants (it's a bit pricey, some part for his computer or something), and he asked me if I wanted a remote start for my car. And actually, I said that'd be great. So, whether or not that happens, we'll see. But I'm glad we've at least given each other ideas now. :)

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
delta_loves_alpha|1323538527|3078540 said:
sweetpepsigirl|1323534302|3078513 said:

OMG I don't know. Maybe like a pink-ish neutral-ish sparkly-ish something? haha...suggestions?!

ooooo I would totally do a soft pink (simple and feminine), nothing too extreme so it completes the ring (don't want to distract from the fingers) :)

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
MisakiChan|1323538062|3078534 said:
sweetpepsigirl, I feel you. My bf told me I'll have to wait for at least one year from now and our relationship has to be almost "perfect" in order for him to propose. I'm trying to do my best! Good luck to you, too!

Almost "perfect" that would make me upset, Ive had a similar comment before though.. the "I want things to be normal for at least a month" wtf does that mean? I feel like we have to jump through so many hoops, I'm not making him! I love him for who he is, and want to marry him for who he is, I understand that life challenges can come up and Im not going to use that as a restriction on us... sooo frustrating.. and really what is the guideline for "almost perfect" his version of that and yours could be very different... we almost need a syllabus! Is this really how it should be? I love watching old movies sometimes to see how the men and women fall for each other and how the man proposes only after knowing her for a short while, and they usually havent even kissed....

wow, I really went on a rant there. haha

inflorescence

Shiny_Rock
wishfuldreamer|1323540417|3078552 said:
sweetpepsigirl|1323534518|3078517 said:

LOL I love that you told Santa, that's awesome! :D Although, it wasn't nice of him to lie to you. :nono:

It was funny, a commercial came on tv a few days ago; for a special at Hilton Head for like, $99 a couple per night or something. I've always wanted to go, so he says "Wow's, that's cheap, let's go!" And then the commercial pipes in "Engaged or married couples only, please." I started laughing because how do you prove you're engaged to get that rate?! Anyone can throw a fake rock on their finger and announce they are engaged. (I've been guilty of sporting a fake one on occasion, to keep creepers away in bars, etc...). It was pretty comical, but awkward at the same time.

I've been avoiding TV just so I don't see or hear the commercials. It helps a bit, but I still know they're out there. :Up_to_something:

Maybe your SO suggestion on the Hilton is a subtle hint that you'll be engaged for it?? If not throw on a fake ring and go, who would ever call you out for it? I have also worn a fake ring to the bar with my girls, I hate the "suuuuuure you have a boyfriend" bit if you dont wear one... im out at the bar to dance with my girlfriends thanks, not to pick up!!! It really is a good creeper repellent but unfortunately not always a 100% effective.

I believed in Santa until last year, hahaha, only year he's ever let me down. Meanwhile as a kid I only ever asked for candy canes and lego. lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results