shape
carat
color
clarity

HOF or H&A - - which came first & what are the differences?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Just for fun yesterday (Christmas Eve day), my daughter and I stopped in to a reputable local small-town B&M - - just to look around. The jeweler happened to be offering mini-tutorials about the Hearts on Fire (HOF) brand of diamond, including opportunities to view different loose and mounted stones through the scope, and a take-home DVD. Needless to say I couldn''t resist taking a peek ...

I played dumb and listened to the presentation and looked at a number of different loose and mounted round HOF stones - which were mostly in the I/SI1 or SI2 range with depths greater than 62 and tables of around 57.

Given all of that, I thought the HOF prices were exhorbitant (i.e., around 11K for a 1.11 ct. I/SI1 that I felt didn''t have an awful lot of personality AND $2,700 for a medium-size circle of life pendant with approximately .5 ct. tw set in white gold).

When I inadvertently mentioned the ''arrows'' I was viewing through the scope when the loose diamond was face-down (apparently HOF calls the ''arrows'' something else which I don''t remember right now), the jeweler went on and on about how another company had ''copied'' the HOF cut and now markets it under another name (implicit in his comments was that the H&A diamond was somehow inferior to the HOF ...)

I was actually surprised that this jeweler seemed vaguely familiar with the Solasfera diamond - although he consistently compared the Solasfera to the Leo diamond which is marketed by Kay Jewelers(!). In this jeweler''s opinion, the Solasfera diamond could not compare to the HOF diamond(!), since he felt there was no point in adding extra facets to a diamond unless all you wanted was a ''disco ball'' effect.

I remain impressed with the wealth of knowledge and information disclosed on this forum, and it was scary to see how easily n uninformed consumer could be convinced that the HOF diamond represents the best quality and value to be had in a diamond. Again this is a reputable small-town jeweler that does a tremendous amount of business.

But I''m curious as to which came first: the Hearts on Fire brand of diamond or the Hearts & Arrows diamond?

Merry Christmas to all! We''re having a wonderful day - I''m just taking a break while the kids play with all of their ''stuff'' and the turkey roasts in the oven!
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hearts and Arrows I think has been around for a while now...it originated in Japan I believe...maybe the experts can chime in if they have more details.

HOF seems like a fairly recent phenomenon, within the last ~7 or so years?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
H&A is a type of round brilliant - the patters happens if certain proportions are ''hit'' and precise symmetry kept.

HOF is a brand of H&A rounds... among many. With great advertisement for a fairly standardized product
38.gif

Different things... as far as I know.

About the dates: I don''t know what to pin down as the birth date of Harts and Arrows. The H&A viewer was patented in ''76 - maybe that. (there is more see the last news citation here).

My 2c

Superidealist

Brilliant_Rock
Oops! This was meant to be a private message to Valeria. My apologies.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/25/2005 5:16:42 PM
Author: Superidealist
Oops! This was meant to be a private message to Valeria. My apologies.

Thank you for the correction.
2.gif

Citing the PM:

"For the sake of accuracy, the hearts and arrows viewer was patented in 1990, not 1976. The 1976 patent mentioned in the link you provided was Kazumi Okuda''s method for inscribing the tables of diamonds (if I remember correctly). The hearts and arrows viewer was patented in 1990 in Japan by I. Yahmashita, though the first Japanese "heart and cupid" diamonds predate its invention, the first, arguably, being the Japanese EightStar in 1984-1985 (though they like to separate themselves from hearts and arrows diamonds), then Apollon Eight, then Heart and Arrow (a Japanese diamond company). Hearts on Fire and A Cut Above came in around 1996.
D Riley"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results