shape
carat
color
clarity

Hobbies

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
I have come to the realization that I do not have any hobbies and need to find some that are relatively cheap. I used to do sports all of the time but since high school that has kind of stopped. Maybe even something I can do from home to entertain me when I am bored?

My BF works 12 hours a day and as of right now I only have a part time job. This leaves me with a lot of time doing nothing. I also just moved away from all friends and family so I do not even have people to entertain me. So maybe a hobby that will allow me to meet new people?

Does anyone have a hobby that they would suggest? I am desperate! I also feel quite pathetic asking for suggestions!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Take a peek online & in the newspaper for groups or orgs. that do things you might be interested in. Or classes. Maybe volunteer somewhere. Museums often have short classes on cool subjects you don't encounter other places -- and the folks who take them would have interests in common with you. Take up something like roller blading, whatever turns you on. My sister just started a course on weaving & is having a ball. There are tons of things if you look around & keep your eye peeled.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Learn to play guitar.
Get a small aquarium for guppies or goldfish; they are beautiful, inexpensive and easy to care for.
Read books from the library.
Donate your time at a hospital or old folks home.
Go for walks that you planned with a map with the goal of walking every street in your town.
Go to the pound and rescue a dog or cat.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look for adult sports leagues in your area. I was up to playing soccer 4 days a week between my co-ed, women's and indoor soccer leagues. It's a great way to meet new people and get your exercise in without going to the gym. Registration fees are usually pretty minimal ($50-$70 usually) for an entire season.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a local arts center or community center nearby? I have personally always wanted to try pottery, so that would be my go to in starting a new hobby. Around my area, there are several arts centers, guilds, and community center that offer everything from weaving, pottery, painting, music, dance, workout groups....just check the class listings and see what strikes your fancy. Hopefully a community center or non profit arts center should have some low cost options.

Best of luck!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was a member of Kiwanis for awhile and really enjoyed it. (I actually want to visit the local groups and join again)

They do lots of great community service projects in the local community as well as around the world. I got to do all sorts of fun activities and help people at the same time. The other members you get to meet are wonderful too. The group I was in had everyone from small business owners to farmers to school administrators.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
I did a course in restoring and upholstering antique furniture a couple of years ago, that was great fun and I have a couple of nice pieces from it. How about google searching whats on in your area and just picking something that appeals to you? If you don't like it when you try it you can always try something else instead.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
the local communities in this area offer adult classes. Maybe sign up for a Zumba class- or another fitness class. I always feel good after taking a fun workout class.

Join an inexpensive gym- in this area we have a few gym chains that are $20 a month- like RetroFitness (no classes), Lucille Roberts (all women and they had good group classes).

How about joining a local running club- coed type of teams in the area...?

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Take ballet! I did this last year when I was unemployed and it was the best thing I ever did. It was like yoga but felt more... productive.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
What are your interests? Do you like more physical/sporty activities, arts and crafts, cooking, or gardening/nature stuff? Between FI and I, we have aquaria, photography, golf, skiing/snowboarding, and guitar. You could also take a fun night class at the local community college like flower arranging or metal work.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
A local book club?

Bunny007

Shiny_Rock
You could volunteer with a campaign- something local, or even the presidential coming up.

Work your way through a cookbook? Or master some type of cooking technique? Or baking? I'm nuts about braising and Fall is the perfect time that that type of food!

I had a really long and slow Winter not too long ago, so I took up knitting. I never really advanced beyond scarves, so guess what everyone got for Christmas that year?

Have you ever looked at Pinterest.com? There was a PS thread about it not too long ago. That might inspire you.

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

I have grown interested in cooking lately, although I am not that great at it yet. I am going to get a cook book and start trying recipes, someone suggested that.

My BF and I have some things we do together. We recently joined a bowling team (I feel like my parents bc of this, they have always bowled). We wanted to join a co-ed softball team but missed the sign up.

I use to do a lot of scrapbooking but I ran out of things to do and ran out of new pictures to use.

Someone brought up pinterest, I actually just discovered that website this week! I LOVE some of the things on there and think they are inspiring me to be more creative and artsy! I may go through there and find some specific things to do!

I am always looking for things to keep me entertained at home, so not necessarily joining a class. Something I can pick up and do if I have an hour available. Working out of some sort is definitely on my list of things to do. I was also considering finding some small projects that I can do, not sure what yet!

I am definitely going to do some research of classes I can take come the winter or next spring. Unfortunately some of those can be costly and i need a few paychecks first!!! Thanks!!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you have any hobbies when you were younger? Perhaps reviving them could help?

I used to study different languages at high school. Recently I found out that some restaurants in Seattle have, say, a "French table" or a "German table" once or twice a month (some even once a week) where people interested in languages or native speakers can meet and communicate in these languages. I know they now take Spanish or French in many schools - maybe reviving a language you studied could be a hobby? I bet they have these "tables" in every town, even in Newton, MA, we had an "Italian table" twice a month at a nearby restaurant. This hobby exposes you to many new people and is very helpful from a practical standpoint.

Just an idea.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
You could spend more time on PS!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
If money is tight, and you aren't looking for course credits, take a look at your community education classes through the local public school system. My son's girlfriend wants to brush up on her Arabic, and community ed offers a course and the cost is less than $4 per hour. Sign up and courses are starting right now for the fall. I'm taking yoga right now through community ed, and the cost is a fraction of that at the local health club.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results