shape
carat
color
clarity

Hmmmm. Need your opinions on what to do with my star sapphires.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
So. I inherited a set of star sapphire jewelry from my Grammy. In the same debacle involving my first e-ring reset, I had the earrings and ring redone. With horrible results in the case of the ring, and mediocre ones in the case of the earrings.

So. I now have a pendant I love, but with a broken clasp. A loose star sapphire and a pair of earrings that stick out too far to be comfortable.

Now, I won''t be able to do this for a while, but I''m trying to decide what route to take as far as resetting them into pieces I will actually wear. You know me, a millenium of research must now begin.
9.gif

The pendant I like. And I think I want to try to tie everything in to it''s design. I''ll post a pic in a second.

My first priority is the earrings, since I think they are the pieces I will wear the most often.

Here they are in their original form, along with the original ring:

ssdr7.JPG

SSDR1.JPG

They were clip ons that hung from the underside of the ear.

Now, despite my reservations, the original idiot jeweler just stuck a post on the back of the existing setting, and now I have the earrings pictured below. Which stick out SO FAR from my ear that they are just not practical to wear every day.

I am thinking that simple thin bezels would be the way to go. Or I could see if I can get the current settings shaved down on the back, to make them smaller, so that they still tie in to the pendant.

Here''s the whole set as they are now.

starsapphhand.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
So.... the earrings. What do you think? Small bezels? Or stick with the 4 prong thought to mimick the pendant?

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
As for the ring.... I''m seriously considering saving up for a million years and having James Meyer do something along these lines, but without the milgrain, and with the curl on the right mimicking the curve of the pendant.

1319love.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 10:24:38 AM
Author: geckodani
As for the ring.... I''m seriously considering saving up for a million years and having James Meyer do something along these lines, but without the milgrain, and with the curl on the right mimicking the curve of the pendant.

Ohhhh purty!!!! I would do this with a bezel w/ milgrain for the earrings. YUMMY!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 10:39:09 AM
Author: neatfreak

Ohhhh purty!!!! I would do this with a bezel w/ milgrain for the earrings. YUMMY!
Do you think it would tie into the pendant still if I did that? Or should I redo the pendant?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 10:44:12 AM
Date: 12/9/2008 10:39:09 AM

Author: neatfreak

Do you think it would tie into the pendant still if I did that? Or should I redo the pendant?

Hmmmm....If you can I would probably redo the pendant to compliment the bezels a bit more. But I don''t think it''s a necessity right away.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Oh man, that ring would be lovely! It would still be similar to the pendant, but not matchy-matchy. Maybe add some milgrain to tie it all together. Great stars!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I don't wear necklaces as often as earrings and rings, so the pendant could wait for a face lift.

Hmmm.

Okay, so, thin bezeled earrings. I'm undecided on the milgrain.

Save for a millenium or see if my local guy (not the same horrible one) can duplicate something similar for me. Then figure out the pendant.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they natural or synthetic star sapphires? Just asking because sometimes that factors into the price of what you may want to pay for setting them. . . although I''m sure they''re priceless heirlooms to you.
emsmile.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2008 8:24:19 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Are they natural or synthetic star sapphires? Just asking because sometimes that factors into the price of what you may want to pay for setting them. . . although I''m sure they''re priceless heirlooms to you.
emsmile.gif
I honestly have no idea, LOL. Is there a way I could find out, short of having them appraised?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typically if the stars are pinpoint needle fine and super perfect, and the background color is extremely even, they might be. However, you might want to take it to a gemologist to make sure. Synthetic star sapphires have been around for ages.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
They probably are synthetic.
1.gif
Which is okay by me! Hmm though. I wonder if one of the etsy designers might be a better choice to have work on them? In silver? The pendant is white gold.... which is why I wanted to stick with WG. But.... Money is way, way tight, and I''d rather have them in silver that I''ll wear then sitting around in WG that doesn''t get worn.
14.gif

JaxBradGG

Rough_Rock
I am 99.9 % sure those are synthetic but if they are heirlooms it doesnt matter right? You can tell because of the fine star, typical color, and shape. They look like "Linde" Synthetic star sapphires...

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 11:26:16 AM
Author: JaxBradGG
I am 99.9 % sure those are synthetic but if they are heirlooms it doesnt matter right? You can tell because of the fine star, typical color, and shape. They look like 'Linde' Synthetic star sapphires...
Yeah, it doesn't really matter to me at all.
1.gif
I was completely fascinated by them as a child, which is why my Grammy left them to me.

I guess setting them in affordable silver wouldn't be a bad thing, right?

ETA: It is good to know though!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I just read up on the Linde star sapphires, and I think you are correct. The timeline is right for when the stones were purchased.
4.gif

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I think they are lovely and the ring design will look fabulous :)

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks stepcutnut.
1.gif

I''m perusing Etsy to look for folks that do bezels in WG.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. What about something like this, but with the curl on either side replaced with something like the swoop of the pendant? With a bezel in the center?

il_430xN.44355796.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/10/2008 2:28:19 PM
Hmmm. What about something like this, but with the curl on either side replaced with something like the swoop of the pendant? With a bezel in the center?

I think that would be really pretty gecko!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks neatfreak! I have no idea when I''m going to do this, but I love all the input and feedback. :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty. I think they are Linde Star sapphires. Have fun designing your new pieces.

Meowtown2

Rough_Rock
Gecko, I love star sapphires in bezel settings! I think the earrings and the whole set are going to be just gorgeous!
I especially love the James Meyer setting you posted. Where did you find it?

I bought this ring in Florence a few years ago and really like the simple setting. I thought I''d share it in case you''re looking for more examples!

MeowtownStarSapphireRing.jpg

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Marcy! I will!

Date: 12/12/2008 9:03:25 AM
Author: Meowtown2
Gecko, I love star sapphires in bezel settings! I think the earrings and the whole set are going to be just gorgeous!
I especially love the James Meyer setting you posted. Where did you find it?

I bought this ring in Florence a few years ago and really like the simple setting. I thought I''d share it in case you''re looking for more examples!
Coatimundi''s gorgeous bezel is from James Meyer. Here is her thread.

I love that ring! Just lovely!

I still can''t decide how to proceed. I am leaning towards having them all set in silver, but I feel bad, since I received them set in white gold.
14.gif
But if I wait until I can afford WG.... those babies are going to be sitting around for a looooong while. :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results