shape
carat
color
clarity

Hmmm...am I being unreasonable?

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I took my engagement ring back to my jeweller on the weekend. I've had it for 18 months but only worn it for about 9 of those, and I was bothered that an airline was opening up between the crossbar on the basket and the long edge of the EC centre stone (it's the plain solitaire ring in my avatar). Not only that, but the airline is not even parallel to the stone - so it is sort of wedge-shaped!

It is a subtle defect and I realise many others would not even notice it but it bothers me quite a lot - kind of a "PS-er" defect if that makes sense. It's my version of a mind-clean issue!

Today I got a call back from the jeweller telling me that they had the bench check the ring and that it is fine, and completely secure. I had told them on Saturday that I knew the stone was secure but wanted the malalignment (or whatever it is) fixed; today they said that it was part and parcel of a fully hand-made ring and that it was normal for that to mean it's not quite perfect.

I stood my ground and said that we had chosen them as jewellers for their "premium service" (for which we paid a premium price) and that regardless of how minor they felt the problem was, or how secure my stone was, I would like the crossbars to sit flush against the stone (esp as it is a rectangular stone, not curved), and that I was willing to wait as long as it took to have it fixed. In the end they agreed to have it corrected (or at least ask the bench to do so), but I was left feeling a little like they thought I was being unreasonable.

Any thoughts?

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pancake :wavey:

I am not technical at all but here are my thoughts.

The customer's concerns should be listened to and addressed. They did not do this. Even worse, they insinuated you were problematic because of this.
Your story is the main reason I have never done custom because when I get picky I get REALLY picky. Whats more I know most people, even trade (IMHO) are not as picky. So I am too much of a wimp to do it in case I am not happy!!

Go with your instincts and stick to your guns. I am sure a techy person will come at my back and help you out with the nitty gritty of your concerns.

Can I ask who the jeweller is?

Good luck!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post a macro photo?

I have said it before, but if it is an asymmetry in the tenths of mm, or is it only evident with a loupe or in macro photos, best to move on. That said, if it matters to you and they can fix it, then no harm in asking.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Susimoo, I don't really want to name the jeweller here as they are an extremely well-respected B&M jeweller here (I'm in Australia) and I believe they will correct this for me. I know people can post-stalk me to find out, but I don't want to be perceived to be "naming and shaming", as that isn't my intention at all.

I don't know how much of it is just my psychological overlay, but I felt surprised that there were any questions asked (by the jewellers, of me) to be honest. Or maybe it was just one of those things where it was just the assistant I spoke to, and the side of bed I got out of this morning, and...etc. But I can say that they charge premium prices for what should be premium service. I think we certainly received that service when we had the ring made last year, but I felt like this assistant missed my point: I KNOW my ring is structurally sound, but I WANT the geometry to be correct! (and paid handsomely for it). I also kind of wonder whether jewellers in Australia are unused to consumers being as fussy and cluey as they are in the States?

Dreamer - I didn't take any photos of it and it's now with the jeweller. Suffice it to say it does not require a loupe to be seen. At the widest point of the airline I can slide my pinky finger nail into the gap, and from maybe 6 inches away, I can see through the airline to my finger and the bottom of the setting when I look at it from my normal oblique viewing angle. There are other imperfections about the ring that I am happy to ascribe to the handmade process and you will have to take my word that I am by no means the fussiest of PSers!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, I promise I won't stalk you!!! hehe :saint: :bigsmile:

The reason I asked is because I recently moved to Perth, WA from Scotland, so the name would be relevant to me!! ;))

I have to say I got a big shock when I visited jewellers here. Not that back home was great but I had found the ones I was happy to work with in Scotland. Here I have not yet found one I really like!! Not their jewellery, that is :love: , but the attitude here is kinda off!!
Not really the jump through hoops to impress you sort of thing. :(sad
I have been bought two beautiful South Sea Pearl pieces in sterling silver and a DBTY bracelet, both from premium establishments. Whilst the experience was nice it wasn't stellar. Think I will stick with my wonderful Rhino at GOG and the other PS vendors, as at least I am made to feel normal ( not a jewellery weirdo!!) AND valued!!! :lol:

Still good luck and keep us posted. I, for one, am very interested in your outcome!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you are being reasonable. I really do. You pay for extra service when you shop at a place like that. So... when something goes wrong and you address it with them, you expect them to stand by their customer service claims that had you forking up extra money in the first place.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It’s correct that handmade work is generally not ‘10x perfect’, and that’s part of the beauty of a handmade piece. If it bugs you they should deal with it and it sounds like they’re doing so, even if it’s after giving you a bit of flack for asking. Keep the difficulty of this in mind when you shop for your next item and are trying to choose a jeweler but they do get a certain amount of credit for finally agreeing to do it. It sounds like their craftsmanship standards are different from yours and the next one may not be so easy to fix.

Are you unreasonable? No. But it would have been better to have this discussion a bit sooner.
Are THEY being unreasonable? Also no, but it sounds like the sales staff could have done a better job of working through it with you.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel you aren't and this is exactly my experience with just about every jeweler out there, though the one I am currently working with "gets it" and knows I am very particular and takes care of it. I don't usually "care" if they think I am being unreasonable OR if they think it's "fine". If Im not happy with it, FIX IT.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The only thing I would remotely consider unreasonable is waiting 18 months.
If something bugs you about a ring address it as soon as you see it.
That they are willing to fix it after 18 months is credit to them, many would not.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well then pancake no I don't think you are unreasonable at all, and hopefully they will fix it. I think it might be worth mentioning to the manager that you were made to feel guilty or shamed by the clerk you spoke to :nono:

FordFairlane

Rough_Rock
I would be a little concerned about the durability of the setting if parts of it are bending out of shape after 9 months or is this an original design flaw that you have known about for a while?

I am not surprised that most jewelry stores including Holloway Diamonds don't jump at every customer complaint on a setting, but stand your ground and I'm sure they will eventually put it right in your eyes. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for weighing in.

Karl - it hasn't been like that for 18 months; whilst the stone is secure, it does appear to have moved slightly in the setting because the prongs are a little off-centre on the cut corners of the EC now as well and the grooves in the prongs around the girdle do not sit as flush as they used to. Like many PSers I look at my ring up close a LOT and I feel confident that I would have noticed this right at the beginning had it been there. I do not loupe my ring though, so it's possible it's taken me longer to realise than it otherwise should.

Neil - thank you for your comments, much appreciated. I am very willing to accept imperfections in a fully hand-made ring, but this one for some reason really bothers me!

Ford - this setting should not be a problem of durability as it's really very sturdy; I don't think it's an issue of the setting warping as much as the stone moving slightly.

They said they would probably be a week or so. Will post back with the outcome - I am sure they will do everything they can to make me happy! Thanks again for your opinions.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Karl_K|1317656964|3032039 said:
The only thing I would remotely consider unreasonable is waiting 18 months.
If something bugs you about a ring address it as soon as you see it.
That they are willing to fix it after 18 months is credit to them, many would not.

I agree with Karl here. If it took 18 months to notice, you have to wonder how big of an issue is (was) it? That said, I've noticed things about my rings months after the purchase as well, and although they bug me to a degree, I've decided not to obsess over it, and realize that outside of maybe a PSer, nobody else would ever see it even if I pointed it out to them. But the point is that it bothered YOU, and you SHOULD get it fixed, however, after 18 months I can appreciate the vendors reluctance. Your set is gorgeous btw!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
pancake|1317672842|3032276 said:
Thank you everyone for weighing in.

Karl - it hasn't been like that for 18 months; whilst the stone is secure, it does appear to have moved slightly in the setting because the prongs are a little off-centre on the cut corners of the EC now as well and the grooves in the prongs around the girdle do not sit as flush as they used to. Like many PSers I look at my ring up close a LOT and I feel confident that I would have noticed this right at the beginning had it been there. I do not loupe my ring though, so it's possible it's taken me longer to realise than it otherwise should.
ah ok,
I miss-read your post.
I apologize

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Pancake

I have just re read the thread and I am glad the problem is now being addressed. I hope it is to your complete satisfaction.

Oh and the penny has just dropped re who the retailer is!! :o :oops:

I sincerely hope this doesn't mean I am getting tossed out of PS for my cheek!!! :tongue:

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Christina - I have only seen the gap in the ring in the last fortnight. I am certain it cannot have been there for long because I still gaze adoringly at it more often than I care to admit!!

Karl - no worries at all.

Susi - I wouldn't worry! I don't think we've done any jeweller-bashing in this thread!

An update: I got a call today saying that it's been fixed and is ready for me to pick up (it did not seem a complex job, looked like the stone just needed to be unset/loosened and then reset), so I'll report back on Friday when I have it back on my finger :) Very pleased, and surprised that it's been rectified so quickly! I really love my ring and am excited for it to come home :)

Spoopayrank5t

Rough_Rock
I agree with susimoo, i don't have have that much of technical idea ... just buying blindly thanks for giving such a great thread. :)

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
pancake|1317802481|3033680 said:
Christina - I have only seen the gap in the ring in the last fortnight. I am certain it cannot have been there for long because I still gaze adoringly at it more often than I care to admit!!

Karl - no worries at all.

Susi - I wouldn't worry! I don't think we've done any jeweller-bashing in this thread!

An update: I got a call today saying that it's been fixed and is ready for me to pick up (it did not seem a complex job, looked like the stone just needed to be unset/loosened and then reset), so I'll report back on Friday when I have it back on my finger :) Very pleased, and surprised that it's been rectified so quickly! I really love my ring and am excited for it to come home :)

Pheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!! :lol:

I am glad I am not getting tossed out on my whinging pom ass (even though I am a very proud Scot :tongue: )
However, I am even more pleased that the issue has been resolved. I can only hope you fall in love with your ring, all over again, when you get it back!!! ;))

Keep us posted and G'day to you!!!! :wavey:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pancake, so glad that it was fixed so quickly! I certainly hope it meets your expectations (and this is coming from someone who considers herself picky, even by PS standards!). Let us know!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results