shape
carat
color
clarity

Hitched or Ditched: Ultimatums, Reality Style

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

absolut_blonde

Brilliant_Rock
Just saw a preview for this new show... Apparently, people nominate couples who have been together long-term in an effort to either get them to move things along or break things off (why anyone else would care enough to do this, who knows).

As for the title, LOL - you can''t even make this stuff up! I am sure it won''t last long, but I will probably watch because I am a sucker for terrible reality TV:

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/hitched-or-ditched/about

Any thoughts?

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I think it''s very interesting, but I''m also suspicious because of the TV element. I feel that reality TV has a tendency to force people into decisions that they might not otherwise make, primarily for entertainment value -- who''s to say that the couples who end up together at the end of this show will truly end up together?

I watched the VH1 show, "Tough Love," and one thing that stuck out for me was that some of the couples that viewers expected to be successful didn''t work out at all.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
becuase i love reality TV, I''ll probably watch it. but i can imagine how many ill feelings and fights it might start with other couples regarding deadlines.

sweetliloldme

Rough_Rock
I''m also a reality tv junkie. I''ll probably watch it, but it''s kinda mean if you think about it. As a LIW would you want someone to nominate you to be on TV and make your SO marry you or dump you? Not cool from a LIW standpoint, but very entertaining from a tv viewers standpoint.

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, I can''t imagine that''s the healthiest way to start a marriage, by being pressured into it. Sounds very unromantic.

I bet the weddings are beautiful though, so I will most likely watch it.
3.gif

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Haha well I know what I''m doing May 26th at 8pm....

No seriously it does seem like it could get a little crazy and not produce the best outcomes but I''m kind of interested just to see the format of the show. What the different challenges are like, etc. We''ll have to start another thread in a few weeks to discuss our initial reactions as LIW''s.

sweetliloldme

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/6/2009 11:07:46 AM
Author: Callisto

No seriously it does seem like it could get a little crazy and not produce the best outcomes but I''m kind of interested just to see the format of the show. What the different challenges are like, etc. We''ll have to start another thread in a few weeks to discuss our initial reactions as LIW''s.
Gret idea, im in.
emthup.gif

idreamofcushions

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/6/2009 11:42:36 AM
Author: sweetliloldme
Date: 5/6/2009 11:07:46 AM

Author: Callisto

Gret idea, im in.
emthup.gif

Sounds like a plan! *sets tivo to record show* lol

jitterymo

Shiny_Rock
I''m just crossing my fingers none of my friends or siblings nominate me!

sweetliloldme

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/6/2009 2:48:13 PM
Author: ILoveSpinel
I''m just crossing my fingers none of my friends or siblings nominate me!
EXACTLY..I thought the same thing! hopefully, they won''t find out about the show!!!
23.gif

that''s okay i won''t sign the consent form to be on
2.gif
1.gif

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2009 4:38:38 AM
Author: trillionaire
Soooooo.....

how many of you tuned in???

Hitched or Ditched Episode One

UGH. did not care for it. but that was also becuase i was trying to relax for bed. or maybe i just didn''t care for the couple? and i''m sorry, but "on and off" for 4 years does not sound like a committed relationship (no mean to offend anyone, this is generated for this specific couple only) to me.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/6/2009 10:59:01 AM
Author: sweetliloldme
I''m also a reality tv junkie. I''ll probably watch it, but it''s kinda mean if you think about it. As a LIW would you want someone to nominate you to be on TV and make your SO marry you or dump you? Not cool from a LIW standpoint, but very entertaining from a tv viewers standpoint.
Why on earth would anyone agree to participate in something like this other than you want the money/exposure/30 seconds of fame/whatever else they''re offering to entice you to take part?
33.gif
My take on it is if you agree to be on the show, for whatever reason, it''s your own look-out what happens thereafter...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I watched the first episode. Mostly I was entertained that it took place in Charlotte, so I recognized the places they went. I actually used to live across the street from where the ceremony took place.

I''ll admit, there was kind of a gawking fascination that took hold of me. Because really...who in their right minds would agree to this?

Erinleigh

Shiny_Rock
I watched it last night... And the wedding was definitely gorgeous!
For me personally, I want my FH to KNOW that he wants to marry me... plenty in advance of standing at the alter, lol!

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t see last night''s new episode because I fell asleep but I did see the first one.

It seems to me that they are choosing failed relationships from the beginning. They say that these couples have been together for six years but in those six years, they have broken up 5 times. I guess it makes for good TV.

It''s an interesting show though. I wonder how many couples that are struggling with engagements/weddings would go through with a wedding if it were all layed out for them.

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2009 9:18:58 AM
Author: fiery
I wonder how many couples that are struggling with engagements/weddings would go through with a wedding if it were all layed out for them.

good point - would i have married the Ahole if the wedding was layed out? in my youth (18) you bet i would have. makes me glad to suffer LIWitus.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
So far the couples that have been shown clearly shouldn''t be together much less getting married. I can''t help but watch, it''s like a train wreck.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I only saw the first episode, and I don''t think it''s a good idea for a show, but I thought there were some good takeaways...

1.) Family is important -- you are going to need their support
2.) If EVERYONE opposes your marriage, there IS a reason, if you are brave enough to see it
3.) Marriage doesn''t fix your issues or problems, it magnifies them!
4.) you can''t change other people, only yourself and your own actions
5.) Better to have a failed engagement than a failed marriage
6.) Don''t get married if annulment is your backup plan
7.) If there is something that makes you uncomfortable or less secure, and your partner ignores that and does it anyway, then marrying them is not the best idea

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I totally agree, trill. I couldn't believe that she said she was happy about the 90-day period for an annulment! (Edit: I saw the episode that's currently on the website, the one with Travis and CeLisa. Haven't seen the other episodes.)

I must say, though, I enjoyed the part where she got to pick out dresses, rings, etc. The dramatics (and, of course, the rushing around for a week to decide on/orchestrate a wedding) didn't look fun, but I'd enjoy the shopping part of the show!

mariewest

Shiny_Rock
I''m not going to lie, I watched the first episode just now on the website. I was curious and a sucker for wedding shows. I have to agree that starting a marriage off in this fashion can not be a good thing. No one wants to be pressured into such a big decision. However, I do have to point out that they do bring up some good points to consider in your own relationship. Like family input, and not trying to change someone, and being sure that you are really ready to get married, and that this is the person that you really want to spend the rest of your life with. I guess after four years if you''re not going to get married, then why are you together still? Obviously the tv show wants couples with drama to make it more interesting, but it''s too bad they can''t ofter the dream wedding to couples who would like to get married, but for money reasons may not be able to do so.

Within my own relationship, I''m not sure I would want to be on this show, but it would be interesting to see whether my SO would say "i do." We''ve talked about marriage, but he hasn''t taken the next step because of the money. Well, if the whole wedding is planned and paid for, I wonder if other reasons would come out. I think my relationship is more stable then some that i''ve seen on reality shows, but I do like shows that make you think about your situtation... and in this case, be happy that I''ve got such an amazing guy who makes me happy.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I keep meaning to watch this, I''m a sucker for trashy reality shows. I agree with mariewest it''d be great if they did this with couples who were actually sure they wanted to get married, instead of people who will probably end up divorced anyway.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I watched a few minutes of this, and I was disappointed. I expected to get sucked in like Bridezillla or Say Yes to the Dress, but I didn''t at all.

laurenfischer5

Shiny_Rock
oh, gosh...

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Silly girl, did you mean to link to NPR?

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
I saw the first episode and was mortified!...The second one not much better. It makes for entertaining TV but I don't think it's a good idea for any couple...I feel for them.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 11:24:43 PM
Author: KCCutie
I saw the first episode and was mortified!...The second one not much better. It makes for entertaining TV but I don''t think it''s a good idea for any couple...I feel for them.
agreed. the second made me sad to see a 22 year old fighting so hard for the relationship, when really, she''s so young and the world is her oyster! I swear, 22 only seems old and/or mature to 22 year olds!

simplefears

Rough_Rock
Wow, I would hate to have to walk down the aisle and not know whether my fiance is going to say I do or not. Who cares if the wedding is paid for, I wouldn''t able able to enjoy it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results