shape
carat
color
clarity

high profile jeweler

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isitworthit

Rough_Rock
I just went looking for a solitaire in a six-prong platinum setting at very well-known 5th Avenue jeweler in New York City. The price for a .54C F-grade VVS2 was $5,480--well above the prices I had seen on the net for a comparable stone. I want to make sure that I really get a great ring, and I have no doubts about this merchant's reputation for quality. Still, I wonder: just how much of a premium I am paying for this jeweler's reputation?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Isitworthit, Congrats with the stone!Glad that your researches helped you in your decision!
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Isitworthit, good question.Some people won't consider anything less than Cartie or Tiffany & Co. Is it worth it? Only you can answer it...Although there are known internet diamond dealers who have flawless reputation with very small markups (7-10%). Brick and mortar guys usually cannot afford it.

diamondmanbob

Rough_Rock
Hi;
Do you know how much those 5th Avenue stores pay for rent? They have to pass all those high, cost of business, costs on to the customers. You can buy the same exact high quality diamond here on the internet for much, much less $$$. And most of the internet dealers will give you several days to check out your diamond and if you have a problem with it, you can return it.
There is nothing wrong with 5th Avenue jewelers, they just have higher costs of doing business.
diamondmanbob www.whiteflash.com

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Right now there are many e-tailers who will sell you something very nice for very little profit. How long this scenarion will last, we cannot say for sure. Certainly many if not most of these low price sellers will find out that they really need to charge more in order to simply stay in business.Right now, one way to gain a foothold in retailing is to sell for what amounts to a loss and write of the loss to advertising. After their war chest,"nest egg", is spent, will they have a loyal following developed who will pay a higher mark-up? I doubt it will become a commonplace event. What will become common is many of these vendors will disappear.Every consumer should shop in order to inform themselves. Shope anywhere you wish, but only buy from a place where you feel most comfortable. You will be surprised at what great treatment an informed consumer will receive at most traditional retail stores. The retail segment of the jewelry industry is not asleep and unaware of the internet. You need to try out different palces until you find the right mix of price, service and personality. Then you'll be totally happy.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

isitworthit

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. Wound up doing more research online and have just purchased online a much better, bigger diamond for significantly less than the mid-town NY places charge. No tax either. Of course, I haven't seen the diamond yet, but based on the AGS certificate, I'm doubting there will be any surprises.Leonid: I wish you had referred me to diamondtalk.com -- which I eventually found anyway -- where my original question has come up many times before.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results