shape
carat
color
clarity

"hidden" diamonds and brilliance/fire of main stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ajdiamond

Rough_Rock
I have fallen in love with Mark Morrell''s flame setting, which is available with or without the hidden diamonds in the basket. My question is... do the hidden diamonds affect the brilliance and fire of the main stone? In an ideal cut stone, will any of the light hitting the diamond from the side and below travel out the top? If so, will a diamond set with a very open basket look better than one set in a complicated, closed basket?

Flame_plat_all-first-shots0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The light performance of a diamond is not affected by the side surprise diamonds (otherwise nobody would bezel their diamonds
31.gif
). In an ideal stone, the light coming in from the top will be reflected back to the top.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Precisely. I worked with MWM for my fiancee''s engagement ring and he did a flawless job, and really went above and beyond my expectations. I really had a hard time picking between the flame and the sunburst.

You should ask him about a hybrid of the two -- the basket look of the flame on a tapered shank from the sunburst would be awesome. I know he''s either thought about doing it or has already done some.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
In a well-cut stone light comes out of the top of the stone and the sides shouldn''t make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results