shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi I Am New Need Help Finding Colored Gemstones

Psych62

Rough_Rock
Hi folks, I am devastated to discover that Ed Bristol's Wildfish Gems website is closed down. Poor Ed.......I purchased a pinkish purple sapphire from him a few years back that I had made into a ring, a great guy. Looking to purchase more genuine natural, non-color enhanced/treated colored gems but I don't know where to go. The Web is full of fakes and non-natural gems. I could always trust Ed. Where can I go now? My local jewelry stores, even the high-end ones, also seem to have nothing but heated stones. Please help.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends what kind of gem you’re looking for. Some vendors specialize in certain ones, and in my honest opinion, I don’t think it’s a good idea to only go with one vendor for all colored gems. It’s really good to shop around to find the best price for the quality. How do you ever know that you’re paying a fair price if you only shop with one vendor?

Psych62

Rough_Rock
Do you have any that you recommend? I'm not looking for any fancy artistic cuts, just natural, unheated/untreated colored gemstones that are well-cut, I hate windows/poorly cut gems. The more sparkle, the better.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many people on this forum like precisiongem.com. It’s not that he sells all natural or all untreated gems. However, what he does sell, he discloses all treatments, or if the gem is synthetic. He does sell natural untreated gems, too, and since he is a lapidary artist, the gems will all be well cut. I also think his prices are fair, even as precision cut gems. It’s also important to get a vendor that will obtain a reputable lab report if requested.

My suggestion to you is to look for any vendor that will have the following characteristics.

1) They will obtain a reputable lab report from a well accredited lab if requested.
2) They have a rock-solid return policy.
3) They will ensure that you are not responsible if the package never gets to you., For example, if it has been lost in the mail. It should be shipped very well and safely with a tracking number if requested.
4) Answer all questions about the gem.
5). Not charge outlandish prices. This is where this forum comes in very handy because a vendor can charge whatever they want for any gem. It’s up to the consumer to educate themselves on what a reasonable amount is for the quality of the gem. This is often the most difficult part of the transaction, because it takes a lot of education to figure out, not just treatments, and synthetics, but color quality in a particular gem. These aspects that can vary significantly from gem species to subtype.

Psych62

Rough_Rock
I'm going through the list of vendors on the vendor thread, which is quite old, I'm finding many dead links or sites with horrible photographs. I will not buy a gem online if I don't have a clear idea of what I'm purchasing. Ed always had great photos, including close-up and hand shots.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's your price point? Many folks here like Jeff White ("JL White"), Gary Braun ("Finewater"), Adamant International (in Sri Lanka) and I have had good luck with all. For once-in-a-lifetime or more niche stuff, we could point you in a more specific direction.

Psych62

Rough_Rock
I don't have the budget for a fine ruby but would be very happy with a red or red-orange spinel. I also like tsarovite and spessarite garnets (excuse me for the spelling, I am only a buyer). Willing to pay anywhere from 1500 to 2500 USD for a gem.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try contacting Jeff White of J L White Fine Gemstones or Gary Braun of Finewater Gems, giving them your specifications and budgets and see if they have any suitable roughs in stock.

Jeff has a vast inventory of roughs that are not listed. Tucson 2024 is not that far away when he would offer a concierge gem-buying service. That's how he sourced my 7.04mm pink Sapphire during his Tucson trip in 2020 and recut it for me.

DK :))

Psych62

Rough_Rock
Thanks for directing me to these sites and these two gentlemen. Inquiring about rough and getting a gem custom-cut may be the way to go. I'm looking for a nice ring-size gem, nothing too large, something in the neighborhood of .75 to 1.50 carat range. Either that or asking for Jeff to buy something for me at Tucson.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
I have had good experiences with the following vendors. Pricing is fair and stones are well cut.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
+1 to the above. I’ve had great experiences with Fine Water Games, Jeff White, and Lisa Elser.

http://www.shinypreciousgems.com is also a fun source of precision cut gems.

Psych62

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the recommendations and to all, a Merry Christmas!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results