shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi from NYC: My search for "The One!"

kellygold

Rough_Rock
Hello, ladies!! So glad to have found this wonderful community! I just signed up for the LIW list today, so here's my story:

I'm 25 and the bf is 27. We've been together 2.5 years and living together for 1 year of that. We had a very close, solid relationship pretty early on, and our first big commitment happened a year ago when he found out he had gotten a promotion that required him working for at least 2 years in his company's New York office. We had discussed this possibility, and when he got the promotion, he asked me to move here with him (from Chicago). I happily said yes, and we both agreed at the time that we wouldn't take such a big step together - not just moving in, but moving across the country! - if we didn't feel confident in making a long-term investment.

Since then, I've completed my first six months in business school (part-time, evenings), we've both gotten promotions, and things are going great. We often make references to a future together, and both of our sets of parents can't wait for him to put a ring on it! This past March, we had a timeline discussion, and a few factors came up. Having recently started b-school and with my company going through a particularly hectic time, I didn't want to rush things and not be able to fully enjoy the ring shopping experience. So, we said that we'd re-examine in 6 months, and probably start shopping then (that will be September).

NOW, I'm extremely type-A and love obsessively planning things, so OF COURSE I had to do my pre-ring-shopping ring shopping! In randomly perusing sites online, I came across the Harry Winston "The One," and it literally took my breath away! Yes, literally. I almost died. ...Okay, not literally, but still! The extra-delicate band, the micro-pave halo making the center cushion really pop! I fell in love, and immediately began searching for jewelers in NYC who do this style of ring without a $50k HW price tag. This search brought me to PS, where I've already learned sooo much about stone selection and who to trust for settings...I can't WAIT to get started!

Of course, the bf doesn't know all of this yet. I have such a tendency to over-plan things (vacations, apartment decor, major purchases) that I try to save him from the craziness until he needs to know. :D Last week he was out of town on business, and we were talking on the phone a few hours after I had discovered "The One," and I couldn't help mentioning that I already knew what style of ring I wanted. He said "Oh?" and I said "Yup! And when it comes to this relationship, you better be 'in it to win it,' cause this ring is a doozy!" He laughed and said "You know I'm in it to win it." I said "Excellent. If you could please put that in writing, have it notarized and overnight it to me, that would be great." (Just joking around, of course.)

The next day, a FedEx envelope arrives from Chicago (where he's traveling for work). I pull out a handwritten paper that says "I, (name), am hereby and from this day forth, officially 'in it to win it.'" Then he signed and dated it, AND HAD IT NOTARIZED! Yes, there was actually a notary seal on the paper. This is exactly the sweet, cheesy sort of thing he would do, and I have to say it brought tears to my eyes. "The One" ring may be incredible, but it's nothing compared to The One I have in real life. :love:

Looking forward to getting to know you ladies! I'll probably be on the list for some time - the rough plan is to start ring shopping this fall/winter, take our time, make sure the money's in order, and get engaged next spring/summer. I want to finish b-school before the actual wedding, so a long engagement will surely follow. So while I consider myself "in waiting," I'm not too crazed about time yet and plan to take it slow. ...FOR NOW! :naughty:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LOVE it! We're a Chicago-NYC couple too (we really really will come back after a couple years, right? Right??). Getting a notary seal is just too freaking cute.

Looking at HW styles, you might want to read this: https://www.pricescope.com/journal/thin-vendor’s-dilemma
Thin bands risky are from any jeweler, but don't be penny wise and pound foolish trying to get a good lookalike that ends up falling apart.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Welcome Kellygold :wavey: love love love the notary :love: thats super lovely!

hope you're stay on the list is short and sweet =)

kellygold

Rough_Rock
@MissStepcut - Hahaha! My bf and I have the "we ARE moving back in 2 years, right?" talk all the time. He still owns his condo in Chicago, so that's my insurance to make sure we get back there. :)

The sturdiness of the thin band is definitely a factor! I love the look, but don't want to compromise the ring itself. I was originally looking at much cheaper settings, but reading through PS posts convinced me not to skimp when it comes to micropave, and to make sure to get a jeweler I can trust. When the time comes, we'll probably visit Mark T. @ ERD and Leon Mege, then go from there to figure out the best option.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Buying a condo as insurance, hmmm... I like that idea! I feel like the timeline moves back every time we talk about it: first it was, 2 years. Then it was, 2-5 years, somewhere in there. Then it was, definitely not starting our first child in kindergarten in NYC. Grumble grumble grumble. Why does NYC have to have such great professional opportunities, with such a terrible QOL?!

kellygold

Rough_Rock
Exactly! We started with 2 years, and now a year into it, it looks like at least another 2. I think I'm more likely to be the determining factor at this point, though. We moved here for his job, but starting in a year he'll have the opportunity to work from Chicago again, and he's unlikely to switch companies in the meantime. With me finishing b-school, there's a greater chance that I could switch to something keeping me in NYC. More companies should be HQ'ed in the good old Midwest, if you ask me!!! :D

kellygold

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Thing2! I have come across both of those and they'll be on the list to visit. Can't wait to get started!! :)

TwinkleStar

Shiny_Rock
Your notarized promise is ADORABLE! Congrats on you two finding each other! Can't wait to see how he goes about getting The One. :bigsmile:

thebunnybears

Rough_Rock
I like how the phrase "the one" seem to fit so well into your life! I hope you have a fabulous and stressfree ring search! Have you cked out the antique vintage cushion? It's lovely!

I am in a similar situation fastforward 6 months! Bf and I both moved together drove cross country from NJ/philly to Texas! Signed a 3 yr contract with our employers ( we are in the same profession) and we're hoping to move back. I personally think the move has really given us our strength in the relationship.

kellygold

Rough_Rock
@thebunnybears - I totally agree! Starting from scratch in a new place has brought us even closer together, and demonstrated how much we can trust each other. Glad we both have such great guys!! :) And YES, the AVCs are soooo gorgeous! I never even gave a second glance at diamonds before finding Pricescope, and now I'm obsessed. haha

AdanaEsq

Shiny_Rock
I love your story! I can't believe he actually got the note notarized! Good luck finding the perfect vendor for your ring when the time comes!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results