shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi everyone! New buyer here requesting for help!

JSS623

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody, I recently started shopping for an engagement ring, and was fortunate to come across this great community today. I've already spent too much time reading threads here, and it's amazing how helpful and supportive everybody in this community seems to be.

I have been reccomended to a certain diamond dealer, and I'm currently deciding between two different round brilliant stones. However, I am skeptical because I am just not well educated enough regarding diamonds and I'm taking the diamond dealers advice. The 2 diamonds are as follows:

Diamond #1:
1.55 ct round brilliant
GIA certified - #15686962
7.33 x 7.37 x 4.53mm
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Cut: Very Good

Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None

I could not see any visible inclusions with the naked eye from either the top or the side, and inclusions were not very noticable from the top at a 10x magnification, however I did see some white inclusions. The price I'm being quoted on this diamond is about $12K

Diamond #2
1.22 ct round brilliant
GIA Certified #2131051534
6.89 x 7.00 x 4.13mm
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None

With the naked eye, this diamond looks beautiful and I couldn't see any inclusions. At 10x, I could ever so slightly see a small white inclusion but barely. I'm being quoted basically the same price as above.

Comparing the two, the color difference between the two was pretty obvious when the stones were next to each other, but they both looked very good when on their own. The problem I am having is that the size difference is very noticeable between the two. I love the smaller diamond because of the color and clarity and obviously I have to give some of that up with the bigger diamond. However, do you guys think I should look for around a 1.40 G color, Si1 clarity and maybe that size will fit my needs. Again, I thought both diamonds were beautiful but feel that I need to be towards the 1.50 size. So maybe if I give a little on the clarity and get a better color this can happen.

I'd love to get the opinions of people here on how much value I'm actually getting at these prices, if any, as well as thoughts on other possibilities. My price range is around $12 - $13K

Thanks!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Here are the numbers on both stones...
what about looking for a slightly larger H stone? that might be a good compromise

Depth: 61.6%
Table: 61%
Crown Angle: 36.0°
Crown Height: 14.5%
Pavilion Angle: 40.6°
Pavilion Depth: 42.5%
Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: Very Small

Depth: 59.5%
Table: 60%
Crown Angle: 32.0°
Crown Height: 12.5%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 50%
Lower Half: 80%
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Prefer the second
-nice 60/60 type, should a really bright stone w/ incredible spread for the weight
-2011 report (first stone is from '07) so no need to get an independent appraisal of just the stone to confirm the stone wasn't scratched/chipped/nicked in the intervening years by botched setting jobs, someone not taking care of their ring, etc. You can just get an appraisal of the finished piece
I would confirm no excessive chipping risk w/ the shallower crown and thin girdle, but it's a big enough stone I wouldn't anticipate undue trouble.

First could be nice too. Did you compare them in different types of lighting in the store to see how they sparkled? If so which did you like better? If not, I'd go back and do just that (in direct sunlight by a window, in diffuse office lights, in the counters under the spotlights, under a desk where it's pretty dark)

JSS623

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1312832761|2986644 said:
Prefer the second
-nice 60/60 type, should a really bright stone w/ incredible spread for the weight
-2011 report (first stone is from '07) so no need to get an independent appraisal of just the stone to confirm the stone wasn't scratched/chipped/nicked in the intervening years by botched setting jobs, someone not taking care of their ring, etc. You can just get an appraisal of the finished piece
I would confirm no excessive chipping risk w/ the shallower crown and thin girdle, but it's a big enough stone I wouldn't anticipate undue trouble.

First could be nice too. Did you compare them in different types of lighting in the store to see how they sparkled? If so which did you like better? If not, I'd go back and do just that (in direct sunlight by a window, in diffuse office lights, in the counters under the spotlights, under a desk where it's pretty dark)

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I really love the first stone as well and just wish it was a tad bit bigger!!! And I went to the guy's house so I wasnt in a store and was just looking at the stones at the kitchen table. It was thunderstorming at the time so I was not able to go outside and see the sparkle in the stones in the sunlight. I should go back and do that but he lives over an hour away from me and had to make up this huge story to my girlfriend to get away lol. I just dont know which stone to pick or to try all over again for a new one!! aaahhhh!!!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
JSS623|1312835952|2986683 said:
Yssie|1312832761|2986644 said:
Prefer the second

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I really love the first stone as well and just wish it was a tad bit bigger!!! And I went to the guy's house so I wasnt in a store and was just looking at the stones at the kitchen table. It was thunderstorming at the time so I was not able to go outside and see the sparkle in the stones in the sunlight. I should go back and do that but he lives over an hour away from me and had to make up this huge story to my girlfriend to get away lol. I just dont know which stone to pick or to try all over again for a new one!! aaahhhh!!!

the guy's house? is this a reputable seller with a return policy?

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results