shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi CS folks, can you peek at this? NO heat sapphire

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I don't know much about sapphires.
Here is a natural unheated from Etsy from a vendor in Thailand. I love the blue and am fine with the inclusions. Any feedback from you all?
Any red flags?

I have it on hold.

blue.png Screenshot 2023-02-14 115151.png

Attachments

• blue.png
    blue.png
    274.7 KB · Views: 11

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a reputable lab report that identifies this as a natural untreated sapphire? The price seems too good to be true.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure, but it does have a certificate.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 121403.png

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Is 2.9 grams really really lightweight for a whole halo’d ring or am I off base?

I asked for a weight on the ring - I think it may be the stone only weight.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The chip, even disclosed, would bother me.

DK :))

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It is quite budget friendly for me, so I may be able to look past a chip. I love the color.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It is only 2.91 weight for the ring.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm trying to find information on GCI labs reputation and am not coming up with too much.
They're an actual lab but I don't know if they're considered 'good'.

The gold weight is a little low- it's a wire basket style and thin shanked.
Native cut, inclusions aren't too bad.
I'm not sure if that's actually a chip or a surface natural. I think it'll present a touch more grey in hand. Is that acceptable to you?
If you can spare the funds, it's worth looking at.
It says they accept returns, just make sure to verify specifics with the vendor first.

It's not a bad buy for the money.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would be helpful to know the ct weight of the sapphire and dimensions.

Colour looks nice but note there's not only the chip but a long black inclusion across the table. Can you overlook that too?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate the due diligence and help.

I am glad it is pointed out this is not a very heavy ring for daily wear - THANKS!. I adore the color and the inclusions I find interesting. Almost verification it is a natural stone.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Is 2.9 grams really really lightweight for a whole halo’d ring or am I off base?

The whole design is lightweight. The video shows how the gallery looks underneath.

What concerns me more about the design is that is looks like something that will catch on everything. Forget about running your fingers through your hair wearing this on your hand.

The sapphire is a very pretty colour. Do ask to see a photo in warm light and ask about fluorescence - as I recently learned unheated sri lankan sapphires tend to fluoresce red under LW UV and to colour shift towards violet in warm light.

It seems to me the price is fair given the inclusions, the chip and the setting.

GCI is a local lab that I've seen other Thai vendors use as well. I've noticed that they don't give a lot of information on their certificates. An emerald report will state "clarity enhanced" but it won't provide the degree of treatment, let alone what type it is. A ruby report I was recently looking at in another vendor's etsy shop only stated "indications of heating" with no information provided about residues and their degree. Here, though, we have complete lack of treatment, so maybe it's okay.

You could always ask to have the stone tested by GIT Thailand if you need some additional peace of mind - I recently received this advice by IcyJade as an affordable alternative to the more expensive labs.

I think it'll present a touch more grey in hand.

I second this, phone cameras tend to boost the blues. It will probably still be very beautiful, although not as strongly saturated.

Would be helpful to know the ct weight of the sapphire and dimensions.

For ease of use:
Gemstone Weight: 1.43 ct.
Gemstone dimension (approx.): 6.82x5.92x4.14 mm.
(It was buried a bit deep into the description.)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I appreciate your thoughtful feedback. You are right, the setting would stick on everything! However, given my tight budget, and the fact I have a blue sapphire band coming I can see PERFECTLY with this ring, I will take a chance on it.

Thank you!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is really gorgeous. I hope you are happy when you receive it!

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a newbie too but wanted to say that it is so pretty and the color is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing the vendor with us.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I'm a newbie too but wanted to say that it is so pretty and the color is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing the vendor with us.

Thank you! I'll cross my fingers that things go smoothly. The vendor is quick to respond and very courteous. I also had an extra coupon added as enticement.

I will most definitely post to the vendor/home photo comparison thread to help others. There is a pink star sapphire there I also noticed.

I reason if the setting bothers me too much, I will have it reset into a stronger (bezel) setting.

You received some great feedback, so I'll spare you mine. I just wanted to say that I think the stone and ring are lovely. I didn't spot the chip, but each of us has a different tolerance for such things. Good luck!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think the stone is lovely, but I distrust a lab report that doesn't state the measurements to ID the stone. Without measurements, how do you know the lab report is this exact gem and not another sapphire? :?:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
69869702084__241CC700-F188-475D-93B2-C0FFC1D44CD5.jpg
IMG-6377.jpg

Adding a couple of pictures to wrap up the thread. This was my first sapphire purchase. It was not too pricy, as sapphires and rings go. I am happy with it overall. I do believe the sapphire is unheated. I can see the same inclusions that showed on the vendor photos. Some black "inky" spots and a couple of droplets.
For my old eyes, it is eye clean "enough" to make me happy when I view my finger.
The color changes all the time. I hear this is what sapphires "do". It changes from a pretty blueberry to rich royal blue. Sometimes it looks 1/2 dark in bright light but shows full color in lower light. I guess it's quirky.

I want to thank everyone for their expertise and constructive input during this process. There was so much I learned from you. You were so right on so many levels. I'll know better what to ask for next time. I am happy how this turned out as a first buy.
This is a rabbit hole...:) I can see more in the future.

The comments about the setting being light is agreed upon. I wish it was a little more robust. I will enjoy it until it starts to have issues and I will have it remade if needed - also sending the stone for certification at that time.

I thank you all for your time!

Last edited:
69869702084__241CC700-F188-475D-93B2-C0FFC1D44CD5.jpg
IMG-6377.jpg

Adding a couple of pictures to wrap up the thread. This was my first sapphire purchase. It was not too pricy, as sapphires and rings go. I am happy with it overall. I do believe the sapphire is unheated. I can see the same inclusions that showed on the vendor photos. Some black "inky" spots and a couple of droplets.
For my old eyes, it is eye clean "enough" to make me happy when I view my finger.
The color changes all the time. I hear this is what sapphires "do". It changes from a pretty blueberry to rich royal blue. Sometimes it looks 1/2 dark in bright light but shows full color in lower light. I guess it's quirky.

I want to thank everyone for their expertise and constructive input during this process. There was so much I learned from you. You were so right on so many levels. I'll know better what to ask for next time. I am happy how this turned out as a first buy.
This is a rabbit hole...:) I can see more in the future.

The comments about the setting being light is agreed upon. I wish it was a little more robust. I will enjoy it until it starts to have issues and I will have it remade if needed - also sending the stone for certification at that time.

I thank you all for your time!

Happy you're happy! Enjoy!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results