shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi all.. Am new here.. Care to assist please..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rusty klutzy

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I''m new to the diamond trade and its on-goings but I am attempting to educate myself from the various PS'' vendor sites as well as right here in PS forum (I''ve been lurking for some time before posting this..)

Judging by the various excellent testimonials I read, I am quite confident that online purchasing is the way to go.

I am intending to get a 0.6 carat or so with a D-F color (preferably the higher spectrum) and a VS1 clarity. Budget is around US3K+ for the loose diamond. I have pored over GOG, WF and HPD''s websites and I have some questions or advice for you good people.

1) I know that GOG, WF and HPD have their own signature ''Ideal'' diamonds. But is it true that GOG''s H&A diamonds'' cut are more varied than WF''s ACA diamonds''. And how can this affect how the diamond looks?

2) Are HPD''s Infinity diamonds rarer than the rest since its website states that the diamonds are cut with micro-precision and only 1000 diamonds are crafted per year? However it seems that a number of them has blue fluorescence.

3) Should I choose to purchase a diamond from a vendor, will the vendor furnish all the reports eg(SARIN, ASET, BrillianceScope, etc) together with the diamond?

4) And talking about ASET, I noticed that some ASET images have red ''iris'' (the middle circle) while others are green. Which is the better one?

Thank you in advance for all your help. And I apologize if some terms I used aren''t right. Still learning..
9.gif

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Hey rusty, welcome to PS.
35.gif
I'll try to help with what I can.

Date: 6/18/2009 11:40:45 AM
Author:rusty klutzy
Hi all,

I'm new to the diamond trade and its on-goings but I am attempting to educate myself from the various PS' vendor sites as well as right here in PS forum (I've been lurking for some time before posting this..)

Judging by the various excellent testimonials I read, I am quite confident that online purchasing is the way to go.

I am intending to get a 0.6 carat or so with a D-F color (preferably the higher spectrum) and a VS1 clarity. Budget is around US3K+ for the loose diamond. I have pored over GOG, WF and HPD's websites and I have some questions or advice for you good people.

1) I know that GOG, WF and HPD have their own signature 'Ideal' diamonds. But is it true that GOG's H&A diamonds' cut are more varied than WF's ACA diamonds'. And how can this affect how the diamond looks? I believe the main difference is that ACA's are cut to within a little more strict parameters from a single cutting house for a more consistent look, whereas GOG's signature diamonds are those that are hand selected by Jon from a few different cutters, so they may be more varied, but either will be beautiful stones.

2) Are HPD's Infinity diamonds rarer than the rest since its website states that the diamonds are cut with micro-precision and only 1000 diamonds are crafted per year? Once again, it is that Inifinty has their own set of parameters and Paul, who often posts on PS, is responsible for the cutting for consistency. I wouldn't say they are rarer, as a recent thread mentioned that only about 1200 ACA's are cut per year and only a small percentage of diamonds make Jon's cut at GOG. All of these "superideal" diamonds are in the top fraction of a percent of stones produced in a year. However it seems that a number of them has blue fluorescence.

3) Should I choose to purchase a diamond from a vendor, will the vendor furnish all the reports eg(SARIN, ASET, BrillianceScope, etc) together with the diamond? All three vendors mentioned post that data with their stones. I'm not totally sure what all they send with the diamond after purchase, however.

4) And talking about ASET, I noticed that some ASET images have red 'iris' (the middle circle) while others are green. Which is the better one? Red is direct light and more intense than the green. It is an imperceptable difference with the naked eye, however. The overall image is more important than this one little spot. Consider that in real life, the diamond is about the size of a pencil eraser, as Lorelei likes to say, so the center would be about the size of the point at the other end.

Thank you in advance for all your help. And I apologize if some terms I used aren't right. Still learning.. So are we all.
9.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2009 11:40:45 AM
Author:rusty klutzy
2) Are HPD's Infinity diamonds rarer than the rest since its website states that the diamonds are cut with micro-precision and only 1000 diamonds are crafted per year? However it seems that a number of them has blue fluorescence.

Nothing wrong with fluorscence as long as it didn't affect the optics. Infinity just have more of the unusual stones cut to high standards. M and higher colored stones, lower clarity, I1, fluor, they have cut it, currently there is one S I1 in the inventory with strong blue fluor. EDT: nope, just got sold... :razz:

Video http://www.screencast.com/t/6uBscXC1Lj

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jet did a great job, so I will just add concerning fluorescence it can be a personal choice - some believe blue fluorescence of medium or above can help a diamond face up a little whiter, so particularly beneficial with lower colour stones. This page explains further. Some suppliers or cutters prefer non fluorescent diamonds, others don't mind at all so it really depends. As to the consumer it is also a personal choice. Rarely strong blue or very strong can make a diamond look cloudy in some lights but this is very rare.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fluor.asp

rusty klutzy

Rough_Rock
Thank you Lorelei, jet and stonecold. I knew you guys will reply first.
3.gif

I have read the tutorial on ASET and Idealscope from the link you have shown me Lorelei. But I have seen some ASET that has red in the center rather than green whilst ''diamond-surfing''. Can''t remember which site it was. But does that mean the results are erroneous if it has red in the center since instead of reflecting, it is a direct light? As jet has mentioned it is just one little spot, but I''m just curious.

Well with regards to the fluorescence, it''s a personal choice. True that as what many had testified, you may not see the blue in normal everyday light and though I find it cool alas the diamond is for my missus so have to go by her standards. Perhaps I''ll try and educate her a bit.
3.gif

Seems like I need to approach all three vendors if they have the suitable diamond for me. I am going to give the ring to my lady in November. That should give me plenty of time for diamond selection and setting it right?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yap, more than enough time. What we usually see here are 1 month or so in advance, even next week kind of timeline. :razz:

Could still be direct reflection for the ASET image depending on the cut.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/18/2009 6:38:06 PM
Author: rusty klutzy
Thank you Lorelei, jet and stonecold. I knew you guys will reply first.
3.gif

I have read the tutorial on ASET and Idealscope from the link you have shown me Lorelei. But I have seen some ASET that has red in the center rather than green whilst ''diamond-surfing''. Can''t remember which site it was. But does that mean the results are erroneous if it has red in the center since instead of reflecting, it is a direct light? As jet has mentioned it is just one little spot, but I''m just curious.

Well with regards to the fluorescence, it''s a personal choice. True that as what many had testified, you may not see the blue in normal everyday light and though I find it cool alas the diamond is for my missus so have to go by her standards. Perhaps I''ll try and educate her a bit.
3.gif

Seems like I need to approach all three vendors if they have the suitable diamond for me. I am going to give the ring to my lady in November. That should give me plenty of time for diamond selection and setting it right?
It is the amount and distribution of red that is important in ASET, hard to comment without an actual image, usually red is direct light return, green is reflected light.

Yes your time frame is excellent, plenty of time to compare carefully and get the ring put together.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Hi rusty.

I agree with your idea about getting your missus to learn about diamonds. It is generally a good idea. But it can be a double edged sword - some do get tempted to choose diamonds from the higher end (pricier). I''d like to think the knowledge makes them more realistic about the sort of diamonds that best suits their wants, budget, personality etc. But give it a go. It''s fun looking at beautiful things together!
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results