shape
carat
color
clarity

Heyya from Denmark

Hi, my name is Norman, baby new here, but I want to get serious about a nice collection and some jewelry and I will need help. I been in Thailand, this year, there I took my Image, in Bangkok at a dealer. These were all supposed to be unheated sapphires. Guess what, I could not decide! I loved them all, almost all, but it just drove me crazy, and the dealer too, that I could not pick one , so I went home empty handed only embarrassed, and thought I need more know-how before I put down serious money for these little beauties. My first project will be a bracelet with one ruby, one sapphire and one I dont know yet. I think I like untreated stones if I can afford them. Let's see.

Again, thanks for all of you and your great space here.

nit sws

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great to have you onboard! :wavey:

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Hey Norman, don't feel too bad.
The only time I ever bought sapphires abroad was in Bangkok. They looked so gorgeous in the window I couldn't believe the price was so good. I got them home to the US -and I was so disappointed! They were navy blue. Likely it was due to the "Purkinje shift", something I had never heard of. Being so close to the equator apparently makes some (all?) colors more vivid in sunlight. Live and learn! The same thing may have happened to you when you returned, north, to Denmark.
You are wise to take your time and do more research, Velkomst!

PieAreSquared|1469476648|4059176 said:
Hey Norman, don't feel too bad.
The only time I ever bought sapphires abroad was in Bangkok. They looked so gorgeous in the window I couldn't believe the price was so good. I got them home to the US -and I was so disappointed! They were navy blue. Likely it was due to the "Purkinje shift", something I had never heard of. Being so close to the equator apparently makes some (all?) colors more vivid in sunlight. Live and learn! The same thing may have happened to you when you returned, north, to Denmark.
You are wise to take your time and do more research, Velkomst!

That would basically mean only yo buy (decide) a gem that is 'living' in similar global light conditions? Like in 50-60 degree north buy only when I can see gem on photos made in that same area??????

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Let me clarify, I'm not telling you what to do or who to buy from.
The point of sharing my experience with you is: if you are going to lay out "serious money", you should see it where you will wear it.
If you order from a reputable vendor, wherever they are located, they will have a fair return policy if the stone doesn't meet your expectations when you see it in person.
If you buy something in a foreign country far, far, away, they may not let you return it once you get home, as was true in my case.
Held og lykke!

PieAreSquared|1469566805|4059590 said:
Let me clarify, I'm not telling you what to do or who to buy from.

No worries, I didn't take it that way. But, if I want to buy a cornflower blue sapphire, I have better chances of getting it right if I buy from a European or US vendor because he/she sees what I will see, right? If i remember my Bangkok experience, I took that box to the window to see it in sunlight and if that would be different from what I see at home, then I;d rather not take the chances. Also, though the seller, a serious and trustworthy guy to my feeling, promised all unheated, I would have had to wait for days to get a report done and I didn't have that time. I think I will focus on 'western' seller in your reputable seller list with lab reports and images made in the northern hemisphere.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not buy a valuable sapphire without a lab report from AGL stating the material and the color were both of natural origin.

Without such a report I'd never pay over a very small amount, and I'd never believe what the seller claims.
IOW, I wouldn't have the same feeling towards it as I'd have towards a gem with an AGL report.

Yes, when I have some time I will make a short list of all vendors that a) are in US or EU and b) have reports ready from those that are in your recommended vendor list, evaluate them by some 3-5 criteria and and then i will systematically search for my first 2+ carat noheat best sapphire for my bracelet.

I will keep you posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results